International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pawn structure basics to supplement month 2

5 posters

Go down

Pawn structure basics to supplement month 2 Empty Pawn structure basics to supplement month 2

Post by Blue Devil Knight May 16th 2009, 11:02 pm

I have two books on pawn structure. They are good books. They discuss strategy and principles of pawn play in the middlegame, focusing on things like passed pawns, isolated pawns, doubled pawns, etc.. I find such general strategy/principles very elegant, fun, intellectually interesting, and I hope useful.

My favorite is Chess College 2: Pawn Play, by Efstratios Grivas. Each chapter starts with an excellent overview of the topic (e.g., passed pawns), and then includes a bunch of annotated games to illustrate the general points. Most of the games have Grivas as a participant, so you get some good insights into his thought process.

Second, I got Marovic's 'Understanding Pawn Play in Chess.' It has a similar format to the Grivas book, but is at a higher level, the introduction to each chapter is fairly general, though at the end of each chapter he does have a better more concrete summary that it helps to read before the chapter. He tends to make his points using the games and doesn't rely as much on overview/summary. However, I like that he includes games from the greats such as Euwe, Alekhine, Kasparov, etc to make his points. Also, it is a prequel to his more advanced book on pawn centers, which Randy said the month 2 material of ICS covers!

My plan right now for each topic is to read Grivas first to get the basics, then Marovic's to get more examples and the classics.

The goal is to ultimately read Marovic's second book. I've learned a lot from going over Grivas' first three games on passed pawns (most importantly when you have a passed pawn trade minor pieces, then he has to block the passer with major pieces, which really hurts his position).
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Pawn structure basics to supplement month 2 Empty Re: Pawn structure basics to supplement month 2

Post by Bilbo July 8th 2009, 1:31 pm

I've got all three of Grivas' Chess College books but have never read them. I got them cheap, all three for £10 or something at a Congress last year.

I then read some reviews on chessville I believe and was put off them. Volume 2, the Pawn Play one was supposed to be excellent but the other two got mediocre reviews so I never looked at them.

I might have a look at the pawn play volume though if you think its helpful.

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Pawn structure basics to supplement month 2 Empty Re: Pawn structure basics to supplement month 2

Post by Blue Devil Knight July 8th 2009, 2:07 pm

I've looked only at some of Volume 2, but it is very good.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy July 8th 2009, 2:19 pm

Pleeeeeeaaaaassssssse no more additional study or homework. You are all "teachers pets"-hope this translates into non-scottish English. javascript:emoticonp('study'). I am beginning to feel guilty about all these extra curricular activities. No!! I am sticking to ICS and if that fails then I take up marathon running or something else less strenuous than chess. ( & yes I have done both).

Last edited by hoopy on July 8th 2009, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo July 8th 2009, 2:28 pm

haha, I'm trying to focus on one thing at a time too. Just Yusupov's workbook for me now until the end of September, and the regular revising of ICS Month 1, it's the thought process that is key.

Then when I'm certain I have the fundamentals nailed I'll carry on with another chapter of ICS.

No rush for me.

I'm also trying to work on my reportoire, maybe one opening a week too.

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight July 8th 2009, 3:33 pm

Hoopy: I am focusing first and foremost on ICS, no worries Smile (other than playing, which is central and key IMO). Like openings, I think adult patzers tend to switch study materials too much. I am vowed not to do that. I sometimes do need supplements to ICS, but that only prolongs my time with the course. (Eg I am weak with attack and want more than just what they have in ICS on the topic so I have a book on attack I may use).

I haven't even read the ICS month 2 stuff on central pawn. I still need to work through king attack problems!
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by fanat July 9th 2009, 3:30 pm

I just ordered all 3 volumes used from Amazon. Even though I'm telling myself not to order any more books in addition to ICS. Very Happy

BDK - Months 5 and 6 are about Pawn Play so "Understanding Pawn play" and Grivas' book will fit very nicely with ICS material!

I will definitely try to go over these 2 books if not fully then at least somewhat because ICS provides only 8 annotated games and I feel that it's not enough for probably the most important subject in the curriculum!
fanat
fanat
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by fanat July 9th 2009, 3:32 pm

Oh and I've shipped the book to work so my wife won't find out! I have too many chess book at home as it is and she won't understand that I just need to have more books on pawn structures! bounce
fanat
fanat
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight February 26th 2011, 12:29 am

fanat wrote:Oh and I've shipped the book to work so my wife won't find out! I have too many chess book at home as it is and she won't understand that I just need to have more books on pawn structures! bounce

LMAO a true addiction...
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by chesskang March 3rd 2011, 10:19 am

Adrian Mikhalchishin has a DVD out on Chessbase that discusses the Center as well.
http://www.chessbase-shop.com/en/products/5869

Now I will tell you IMHO his lessons are FULL of information and highly instructive its just I think he caters to the CM and up crowd. He goes over a game in about 5 mins! And then I have to go back and study it for about an hour just to get his concepts, then I watch it again. I come away with a greater understanding of plans/ideas and how to incorporate them, but it takes some work on my part. The course work on the center really helped me to grasp it and vice versa.
chesskang
chesskang
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo March 3rd 2011, 5:48 pm

Yeah Mikhalchishin is hardcore man. He doesn't even have time for pleasantries like saying hello at the start of his dvd's!

He's just straight there with a complicated position already on the board and up and running with some complex analysis.

Have to say he's totally over my head, I find him unwatchable. I like Daniel King's powerplay series much more.

Maybe when I've finished ICS and am 2300...

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by chesskang March 3rd 2011, 9:38 pm

Bilbo wrote:Yeah Mikhalchishin is hardcore man. He doesn't even have time for pleasantries like saying hello at the start of his dvd's!

He's just straight there with a complicated position already on the board and up and running with some complex analysis.

Have to say he's totally over my head, I find him unwatchable. I like Daniel King's powerplay series much more.

Maybe when I've finished ICS and am 2300...

LMAO! Bilbo you nailed it, I thought I clicked on the 2nd video and not the first!
chesskang
chesskang
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down