International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

preparation for study ICS Material

4 posters

Go down

preparation for study ICS Material Empty preparation for study ICS Material

Post by Dirtalot October 30th 2015, 9:55 am

Hello everyone
I've purchase the first few months of the core program.however i feel that i may not be a strong enough player to understand the material.
i play roughly around the 1300-1400 ELO level on chess.com(correspondence games). i feel my Tactics still need a lot of work. Does anyone think the tactical training in ICS will be enough( although it seems to be more positional training)? or should i get a good tactical book and work with that before starting ICS?

Many thanks in advance

Rich

Dirtalot
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

preparation for study ICS Material Empty Re: preparation for study ICS Material

Post by Mystique November 4th 2015, 3:53 pm

Well Rich, the course(s) of ICS are focussed on positional play. There is not much tactics involved.
As alternative you can train your tactical skills online with help of : chesstempo.com. There you can solve tactical puzzles, and it will automatically adapt the difficulty to your level.
I think there is no need to wait to start with ICS. You can perfectly combine both. Let's say, solve 5 to 10 puzzles a day, and digest the ICS material on your own pace. Take your time, don't rush and as you continue you will be better.

Mystique
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger November 18th 2015, 4:10 pm

@Dirtalot

You may study tactics as much as you want but if you cannot get positions in which those tactical combinations are possible then you are nothing with your tactical ideas and knowlegde. To get such positions one needs positional chess. This is what the ICS course is about.

Offcourse the content of this course may scare you (does to me too and I am a 1800+ player) but dont pee in your pants because you are affraid. The course is really nice build up in what some might call babysteps. And if you dont understand something its nice to have the course next to you so that after a week or so you can repeat. You may even take the course with you to your chess club and ask more explanation there from the higher rated players.

Take as much time as you want, the course will not run away since the accounts on ICS are lifetime accounts.
And dont forget, have fun!
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by vidanovicd December 22nd 2015, 7:52 pm

Take a look at The Improving Chess Thinker by Dan Heisman.
Pay attention that there are two versions. Take one that is released in 2014. I think it is excellent book on tactics for players under 2000.

vidanovicd
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger December 30th 2015, 3:03 am

A good tactics book from Dan Heisman is "Back to basics: tactics". Title is self explanotary. :-)
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down