International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drew my first FIDE Master this weekend

3 posters

Go down

Drew my first FIDE Master this weekend Empty Drew my first FIDE Master this weekend

Post by mrhollywood95 November 29th 2011, 8:44 pm

I was completely winning, but managed to screw it up.

mrhollywood95
Club Player
Club Player

http://tonyschessblog.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Drew my first FIDE Master this weekend Empty Re: Drew my first FIDE Master this weekend

Post by PawnCustodian November 30th 2011, 5:45 pm

Looks like studying the ICS opening repertoire is begining to pay dividends.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Drew my first FIDE Master this weekend Empty Re: Drew my first FIDE Master this weekend

Post by mrhollywood95 November 30th 2011, 7:54 pm

Yeah, and I was definitely starting to worry about the Scandinavian. I've been getting some pretty ugly positions from it, but in this tournament I was able to draw a FM and a WCM in back to back rounds.

mrhollywood95
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing December 15th 2011, 7:11 pm

Nice game.

I have just a few remarks, on 21. why searching for complications ? Just try retake with queen, i queen exchange good for you, if he goes to Qf4 then Rxd4 is devastating, if he goes somewhere else just check on Qxd4+.

On 25. isn't the thematic Bxa6 - b6 trapping the bishop does not work ?
Of course Rb1 is frightening, but maybe then Rd4 threatening queen and discovering the diagonal for the bishop worth a try. Have to analyse that with an engine...

Also you have tremendous 'd' column with heavy material on it, you start get rid on one opponent rook, but stop there ? Why not a simple Bh5, securing d1 square and then with all your pawns it's an easy endgame.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by mrhollywood95 December 15th 2011, 10:07 pm

1. I prefer my move 21.Rxd4 to taking the bishop with the queen. Rxd4 puts me up 2 pawns while 21.Qxd3 Qxd3 22.Rd1 only gives me a 1 pawn advantage.
2. Playing 25...b6 just looked too risky. I thought I could afford to let white take the a-pawn.
3. 35.Bh5 allows white to play Qa7 and I can't protect the b7 pawn. White probably draws at that point.

30...Re5 was probably the best way to win. My problem was letting him play 27.Qa4. After he played that, I kept mentally beating myself up and could never get back control of the game.

Thanks for the comments

mrhollywood95
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing December 16th 2011, 10:37 am

1. yes, my mistake, although f7 pawn is hanging... does not work at all !

2. analysed with engine, it's playable but not with Rd4 right away as i suggested, Qc5 first is needed to save the queen (else it would be met by a2-a4), anyway it's an endgame rook and bishop with only 1 pawn difference, not so great.

3. here i do not agree, there are many ways you are safe:
- Bh5, Qa7, Kc8, Qa8, Qb8 is fine
- more dangerous like in your game is Bh5, Qa8, Ke7
you can just let b7 pawn fall, Qxb7, Qd7 is fine position, 2 pawns up
if like in your game he goes to Qg8 then now thanks to bishop move you can either still attack at Rd1 or defend by Rg5.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down