International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Month Three General Discussion

+10
PawnCustodian
HangingKing
Blue Devil Knight
BobbyBlunder
Bilbo
cofresi
Chess?
chesstiger
Randy
fanat
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Month Three General Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Month Three General Discussion

Post by chesskang March 7th 2011, 4:16 pm

HELLO M3!
chesskang
chesskang
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Month Three General Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Month Three General Discussion

Post by mrhollywood95 April 1st 2011, 6:00 pm

From a 1900 rated player's perspective and having read Silman's "How to Reassess Your Chess" about 20 times, Month 3 didn't help me much. I already knew about 95% of the material covered. I was able to breeze through the material in about a week (going through the games is why it took as long as it did). I did enjoy the calculation tips and look forward to using them in future games.

Now of course I write this before I begin taking the Month 4 tests, which I will begin tonight. So I guess I'll see how much I really know after I tackle those.

Good luck to all!

Tony

mrhollywood95
Club Player
Club Player

http://tonyschessblog.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by chesskang April 7th 2011, 12:51 pm

Just finished M3, actually I finished the material much earlier, which worked out well because I was able to start working on the d4 opening modules.
I am typically an e4 player,so the extra time gave me the chance to experiment with the Catalan (main weapon) at the chess club.

I will say that I had a great deal of success at the chess club with players under 1800 (they typically went for a tarrasch set-up or bogo) but I found it more difficult against players over 2000 (usually Slav or Catalan Open). (Of course I have the same problem with e4 in retrospect LOL) The main difference being that I would lose time trying to re-deploy my pieces to more aggressive positions which tends to happen naturally in e4 positions (in my style of play anyway) and stronger players took advantage while the weaker players would always allow some tactics with the Light Sq B.

Luckily there is a Master at the club that has played the Catalan for over 20 years and he has been extremely helpful in understanding the middlegame set-ups/plans and as we say Consequences of Blacks moves. -smile

I also spent a great deal of time focusing on games with piece play as the theme and studying those, ie. Bishop Pair, Bad Bishop, BvN, Q v Minors, QvRs, RvMinors etc. which helped me to solidify the theory.

I hope this helps the next ones thru...all the Best!

RT
chesskang
chesskang
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen April 7th 2011, 7:44 pm

The master at our club is really bad with English so we don't really get much out of him after he's finished smashing us!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by chesskang April 7th 2011, 9:26 pm

BorgQueen wrote:The master at our club is really bad with English so we don't really get much out of him after he's finished smashing us!

LOL We actually have a few and they are all very helpful...plus they are not like some titled players FM,IM, GM's that always offer to give you advice/lessons...wait for it....for a small fortune! LOL

Currently 3 of them are working on the Najdorf and it is truly a pleasure to hear them skittle during and after a game, I was thinking about playing it myself, but all of those N and B sacs for a "positional advantage in the endgame" 20 moves later is beyond me...LOL! You can just throw that Qualitative value assessment (as the pieces stand) out the window, its all about calculating the position or Qualitative value of the pieces 10+moves down the line. I guess its back to the vision drills....LOL
chesskang
chesskang
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen April 8th 2011, 8:01 pm

Yeah, that kind of thinking will always be beyond me.

On the upside, I got a draw against our resident master last night! ICS must be starting to kick in!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by chesskang April 8th 2011, 9:07 pm

BorgQueen wrote:Yeah, that kind of thinking will always be beyond me.

On the upside, I got a draw against our resident master last night! ICS must be starting to kick in!

Man you are on your way to a club championship! I can smell it... cheers
chesskang
chesskang
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen April 9th 2011, 1:49 am

That would be a dream come true!!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight April 15th 2011, 10:35 am

BorgQueen wrote:Yeah, that kind of thinking will always be beyond me.

Fantastic!
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen April 15th 2011, 11:01 am

I won the tournament where I got that draw! Someone else managed to defeat my nemesis and that left me half a point in front and I held on to win it!

Yaaaaay!!!

BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by chesskang April 15th 2011, 3:30 pm

I told you this is the year of the Borg! Congrats!!!
chesskang
chesskang
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen April 16th 2011, 11:08 pm

Luck played a part though, but yeah, the Easter Cup is mine this year!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo April 17th 2011, 10:47 am

A nice collection of videos uploaded for Month 3 this weekend. 5 in all Smile

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by chesskang April 17th 2011, 2:17 pm

Bilbo wrote:A nice collection of videos uploaded for Month 3 this weekend. 5 in all Smile
Thanks for the heads up!
chesskang
chesskang
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen April 17th 2011, 10:28 pm

A-downloading-I-will-go...
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Chemwong July 1st 2011, 8:30 pm

Will receive month 3 in 7 hours. Hope this can save me---I soon have tournament (OTB) and need the QGA,QGD

Chemwong
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen July 3rd 2011, 10:57 pm

I play more blunders now. Note my sig... BDK was right.

I manage to get nice positionally dominating situations now, but then I throw it away with some poor tactical calculations. I'm heading back to chesstempo for a while... sharpen up my tactics again... gotta find the balance!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian July 4th 2011, 8:15 pm

BorgQueen wrote:I play more blunders now. Note my sig... BDK was right.

Me too, but I'm tired of CT-ART problems. I'm starting to like the FRITZ GUI Calculation Trainer, just load one of the ICS Games, the stop at some point and try to figure out some variations and let FRITZ score the results. At least I'll be looking at games in my playing repertoire.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2