International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st Annual Summer Solstice Showdown Results

4 posters

Go down

1st Annual Summer Solstice Showdown Results Empty 1st Annual Summer Solstice Showdown Results

Post by SirNemo June 27th 2013, 12:10 am

Well it's that time to post the games from the last tournament. I didn't bother adding my own annotations just yet but I have run them through Fritz 11. Feel free to criticize:

Game 4 is a clear example of how to throw away a winning game. Blah.

Will be blogging about the tournament shortly :]

Last edited by SirNemo on June 27th 2013, 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added 4th and final game.)

SirNemo
Club Player
Club Player

http://chess.daftandcurious.com

Back to top Go down

1st Annual Summer Solstice Showdown Results Empty Re: 1st Annual Summer Solstice Showdown Results

Post by ernestosim01 June 28th 2013, 10:21 am

It's pretty strong tourney, bro. Game 3 was really tricky!

ernestosim01
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

1st Annual Summer Solstice Showdown Results Empty Re: 1st Annual Summer Solstice Showdown Results

Post by Victorian Gent June 28th 2013, 11:30 am

I havn't done all the math, but given the rating strength of your opponents, by my calculation you would not have expected to win more than 1 game in 10, so don't feel too bad about your score. 0.5/4 is actually a good result.

I think playing up more than 400 rating points is a big ask. My advice would be to only play up a maximum of 200 points. Even then, expectation is that you will only score 1.0/4 (ish)

VG

Victorian Gent
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen June 28th 2013, 1:03 pm

Totally agree... with such a huge rating gap, you played very well!

Keep at it... seriously, if you keep playing people above your rating, you will improve fast imo :-)
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SirNemo June 29th 2013, 12:09 am

Thanks guys :] I've signed up for the U1400 section in this weekend's tourney. I just arrived in Albuquerque so I'm about to head to bed and get some rest. I'll do my best to update you guys tomorrow night on Day 1's results Very Happy

SirNemo
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorian Gent June 29th 2013, 4:09 am

Good luck. There is no way I can get any practical chess here at the moment. So I am well jealous:)

Good luck
VG

Victorian Gent
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by SirNemo June 29th 2013, 8:29 pm

Day 1's results. 3 rounds. 1.5 score overall. I had a draw with a 993 USCF player lmfao. I'm a failure Mad

SirNemo
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by ernestosim01 June 30th 2013, 3:49 am

good for you. seems you are in the period of metamorphosis. as smirnov has pointed out it's the quality of the game that matters, not the result.

ernestosim01
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorian Gent June 30th 2013, 5:14 am

Hey...Sir Nemo, this is a good result! 50% in an under 1400 tournament for an 1135 is creditable. Don't focus on the draw with the 993...it happens, and balances out the times when you get a fortunate result against a stronger player. (Also 993 sounds a lot worse than 1003, although they are only 10 raing points apart)

By the way, all the strong players I have heard on this topic say that it is wrong to concentrate too much on rating. The important thing is to take pride in the quality of the game you have played...avoid blunders, see a nice tactic, follow a plan through to a result, etc. The rating will follow...

Good luck today
VG

Victorian Gent
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by SirNemo July 1st 2013, 9:58 am

Hey guys, I'm back in Denver. Had an exhausting day yesterday but it's finally all over Razz I finished with 2.5/5.0 total. I'm ok with this result :] I'll post the games sometime this evening.

SirNemo
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen July 1st 2013, 7:26 pm

I'm always happy with 50% or better, so a good result. The big question is "Did you play well?"! The result is kinda secondary -- if I play a good game and lose, I am still happy.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SirNemo July 1st 2013, 9:21 pm

Well that's just the thing; I did *NOT* play well consistently. I believe my problem was underestimating my opponents and I let them get the better of me. The two games I won, I absolutely destroyed my opponents in beautiful fashion. I had a long talk with a good friend of mine, Zach Stuart(USCF 2035) during lunch on Day 1. What it boils down to is my thought process and lack of focus. He said it could have a lot to do with my current state of health which makes a lot of sense. Anyways, I'll post the games a lil later.

SirNemo
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen July 1st 2013, 9:54 pm

Yup, thought processes and focus are very important factors!

I hope your "state of health" is good or improving Neutral 
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum