International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Progress and Results

+4
PawnCustodian
BorgQueen
HangingKing
chesskang
8 posters

Go down

Progress and Results Empty Progress and Results

Post by chesskang February 11th 2011, 2:40 pm

I am new to the program, just starting month 2, and I find it insightful and fairly comprehensive. After the first month I feel confident I can rack up some rating points (without life getting in the way) and was just wondering if anyone cares to share their quantifiable progress so far?
Regards,
CK
chesskang
chesskang
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Progress and Results Empty Re: Progress and Results

Post by HangingKing February 11th 2011, 3:43 pm

ELO curve on my Welcome page, i joined ICS in May 2009.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by chesskang February 14th 2011, 4:10 pm

Great info thanks for sharing...
chesskang
chesskang
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen February 14th 2011, 11:22 pm

I have no quantifiable results since my rating doesn't get updated that frequently and even if it did, I don't play in enough rated games to show a clear difference quickly enough. Whenever I play in a rated game, my nerves kick in and I make too many mistakes, so atm, my rating is only going DOWN! lol
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian February 15th 2011, 8:36 am

I recently started playing on the ICCF. Games are slow, just a couple of moves per week each game. But it is to be a good way to get rated games in and practice the deep analytical ideas from the ICS studies. All at fraction of the cost of just one weekend tournament...

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Suarez February 24th 2011, 12:07 pm

I have had the program for just over a year but I haven't been able to get through the whole thing by any means. I know this is the norm.

I haven't been able to get rated games in regularly, so my rating hasn't shown any progress. A fellow in our club who is a Master but doesn't play rated games anymore, has said that my play is strong but my results haven't been. I have lost games I should have won.

I blame this on the fact that my OTB rated games would sometimes have gaps of well over 3 months between them. And I would only play one game on a Monday evening at club, not 4 in one day as in a tournament.

I tried playing in the leagues of ICC and FICS with great success at winning, but I found it didn't help in my real OTB games. I even used a real board in those slow internet games, but it isn't the same as playing with a human being across the board from you.

I recently changed my work schedule so I will be able to play some weekend tournaments. I have noticed that when I get back to playing after even a 2 month layoff, I will lose a game I normally would not. After getting warmed up, I do much better.

Ron Suarez
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by chesskang February 24th 2011, 12:45 pm

Ron that sounds like my progress as well, I will take time off come back shed points, get better win my section, then take time off rinse and repeat. I am hoping by having a set amount of time to complete the modules (monthly) it will push me to stay active and on track. As well as the fact that I have more time to study now versus before due to my work schedule. Thanks for the feedback.
chesskang
chesskang
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by mrhollywood95 February 28th 2011, 8:40 pm

I'm finding out the hard way that this course is nearly impossible to follow on a month by month basis. Life always seems to get in the way. I got stuck between months 2 & 3 and now haven't studied anything in about a month.
The opening module is kicking my butt. Month 3 looks relatively easy, but I cant find the time (or the peace & quiet) to go through the lessons thoroughly enough.

I've been thinking about taking 2 months to complete each month's lessons. Anybody else using this tactic?

mrhollywood95
Club Player
Club Player

http://tonyschessblog.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen March 1st 2011, 6:06 am

I am not studying the openings module, just focusing on the main course. I am finding that I have JUST enough time to keep up without doing the openings stuff. Once I complete the main course, I will then start on the openings repertoire... IF I can make sense of it.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by chesskang March 3rd 2011, 9:58 am

BorgQueen wrote:I am not studying the openings module, just focusing on the main course. I am finding that I have JUST enough time to keep up without doing the openings stuff. Once I complete the main course, I will then start on the openings repertoire... IF I can make sense of it.

I am employing a similar idea. I already have lines that I prefer, so I am just looking over the ones that fit in currently with what I like to play. Notice I said looking over and not in-depth study...because as you say the course material is substantial (and good).
chesskang
chesskang
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen March 3rd 2011, 6:07 pm

I am probably weird, but every now and then I totally switch openings. For example, against 1.e4, I used to play the Petroff for a while and now I am playing the French. My opponents never really know what to expect!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian March 3rd 2011, 7:17 pm

The authors are like the sensi in the Karate Kid movie. You get a really good dose of all of the openings in the middle game material without working the "openings".

Even though I'm putting a lot of effort into the opening modules and dilligently getting through all of the middle game material on schedule, I still find that the opening repertoire leaves difficult positions that will take a lot of work to fully understand. Hopefully there's a huge AhHa! at month 13 when we have the full measure of chess knowledge...

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight March 12th 2011, 9:58 am

LOL. Wax on, wax off.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger November 18th 2015, 8:58 am

Bringing this topic back to life.

In wich month (course, not pregnancy :-) ) are you and what is your rating now and what was your rating when you started the course?

Extra question: How many times did you study the course (started over again)?
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen November 18th 2015, 6:46 pm

Studied the course once only. I really WANT to do it again, but time is an issue. I do not aim to be an IM or anything... I know I will never get there. My only aim is to do better at my club and the course helped me do that. If I repeat the course I am confident that it would help me get even stronger.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger December 12th 2015, 11:46 am

BorgQueen wrote:If I repeat the course I am confident that it would help me get even stronger.

I would like to know if this is actually true. So when are you starting again? What a Face
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen December 15th 2015, 7:06 am

When I find enough time to!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster