International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recent Game in Closed Catalan

2 posters

Go down

Recent Game in Closed Catalan Empty Recent Game in Closed Catalan

Post by Randy April 28th 2009, 8:03 am

In the same Grand Prix tournament it took place another game that is interesting for 1.d4 White repertoire proposed by ICS. My skills are not high enough to comment it, however my personal notes are below:
- this variation can appear in the following move order: 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.g3 d5 4.Nf3 Bb4 5. Bd2 Be7. ICS in the Nimzo-Catalan file analyse only Qe7 and they say that after 5....Be7 we have Closed catalan. In Closed catalan file this particular position is not discussed (with white Bd2) and this is the reason why i put the game here. however, as i noticed the loss of a tempo is not very important;
- moves 8-12: due to Bd2, white cannot use the same plan as in ICS material (Qc2 and Nbd2), so he decide to play Bf4, taking control of h2-b8 diagonal. The black moves Nh5-g6 was like a draw proposal from black: he showed that he is ready to accept a draw via repetition. however, white decided to play for a win and after 12...Nhf6 we have a position similar from ICS material, only differences being Qd1 (instead of c2, this is the tempo lost by white with Bd2) and Nc3 instead of Nbd2. If we list CSQ we notice that now the c4 pawn can be taken, as white does not have neither the Qc2 not Nd2 to protect it. after dxc4 i think that e2-e4 may be interesting, followed by d5;
- moves 13-15: white use the same plan as in ICS material: Bishop to b2, N to d2 (this time the f3 Knight) and prepares the e4, I assume; black plays b6 and Ba6 (as in the ICS material) however, it plays b5, attacking the c4 pawn for the third time; white is forced to either take in d5 or to push c5: pushing c5 i think is better for black, as he can open the "a" column and use it faster than white;
- moves 17-22: both sides arranged their pieces in better places; i think that white improved more the qualitative part of their pieces, I liked the Nd2-f3-e5-d3 manouvre;
- 25.Nc5! I was really impressed by this move: I did not saw the plan with forming a passed pawn with Nc5 (black is forced to exchange it, as Bb7 is hanging and after Ba8 the a6 pawn is hanging), i was thinking on how to run faster with the queen;
- exchange in f6: i must say i do not understand it. maybe the Ne4 was better than I think, or maybe white wanted to speed up the exchanges, thinking that the endgame is won (not so clear to me, although a protected passed pawn is very important in the endgame);
- d4 advance by black: probably the only active play. a passive defence will suit white, which can triple on "e"column and attack the d5 pawn with e4.
- 42. a4: this is a type of manouvre that i always overlooked. i will probably played Ra1 and only after that push a4, giving black the possibility to play something else (after Ra1). a4 is a more forcing move

Randy
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Recent Game in Closed Catalan Empty Re: Recent Game in Closed Catalan

Post by Blue Devil Knight April 28th 2009, 8:17 am

Thanks for posting this, very helpful. I wish I played 1 d4 Smile
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Randy April 28th 2009, 11:47 am

well, I played 1.c4/Nf3, now i play 1.e4 but I intend to move on d4, if the ICS material will be good enough.

Randy
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down