International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why pdf's instead of browser based? It's too time-taking

3 posters

Go down

Why pdf's instead of browser based? It's too time-taking  Empty Why pdf's instead of browser based? It's too time-taking

Post by kingsmasher1 May 7th 2012, 10:05 am

Recently i went through the month 3 course of ICS: lead in development.
Liked it, especially the illustrative games they have given with annotations and comments is nice.

BUT why in PDFs? Won't it be better if they could give everything browser based? It's similar to reading a book Mad I had to re-do everything in PGN, and then study it. One PDF with 5 games took me some 5 hours (approx) Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Can't we make a request so that they can upgrade everything to browser based? Reading from PDF is time taking and as good as reading a book, then what's the advantage of online courses? I would better have purchased a book, right??

kingsmasher1
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Why pdf's instead of browser based? It's too time-taking  Empty Re: Why pdf's instead of browser based? It's too time-taking

Post by PawnCustodian May 7th 2012, 11:43 am

As long as they provide the chessbase files, I prefer to print the games and play them on a board off-line.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Why pdf's instead of browser based? It's too time-taking  Empty Re: Why pdf's instead of browser based? It's too time-taking

Post by kingsmasher1 May 7th 2012, 3:03 pm

@PawnCustodian: No, they are providing chessbase files, only for the games. Check month3 - the theory portion. After the initial explanation in that pdf they have provided 5 games, in same pdf as the theory.

kingsmasher1
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen May 8th 2012, 8:11 pm

I just play the games through on a real board. This is one of the high recommendations of ICS -- do it on a real board!

With that in mind, I prefer PDFs simply because they are formatted perfectly for printing/reading.

I also try to visualise the moves first, trying to reinforce my visualisation training.

I can understand your point though... the ICS course is quite offline focussed and it would be great to see a fully interactive site that could lead you through the course material.

BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmasher1 May 9th 2012, 4:22 am

@Borgqueen: That is exactly what the admin told me to do when i requested all for browser based versions.

But all the time taking 100's of printouts of the PDF to study on the board or switch on the laptop for hours just for arranging the pieces doesn't make good.

kingsmasher1
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen May 9th 2012, 8:46 am

Well I did it and I think it's wise to do it. The real board thing makes otb play easier imo.

Made for a good study if you ask me.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmasher1 May 9th 2012, 9:56 am

Agreed, but with the trade-off of time and papers Very Happy

kingsmasher1
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen May 9th 2012, 8:27 pm

I didn't find the time issue to be that signficant -- it doesn't take that long to setup a chessboard position... and I didn't print anything, I have a laptop next to my set ;-)
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian May 10th 2012, 7:20 am

One of the main reasons I prefer Chessbase over PDFs is I frequently find that I have messed up the game position as I play over the games on the board.

With a laptop next to the board I am able to stay in sync or quickly get back to the game position after exploring variations. The alternative it to play over games with two boards as some people do...

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen May 10th 2012, 7:58 pm

Ah yes, that can be a problem.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down