International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it reasonable to open d file in the italian game ?

3 posters

Go down

Is it reasonable to open d file in the italian game ? Empty Is it reasonable to open d file in the italian game ?

Post by HangingKing October 2nd 2011, 4:12 pm

I came to this game (as black) today, it started as standard guoco piano but for some reason my opponent choose at move 8 to take with bishop instead of the common 8.exd5

But i'm still not sure about it is wise to open d file like this, of course white gain 1 pawn but his queen get quite exposed.
in the game we played, h3 appears natural but this lead to disaster as you can see.

I've tried some variations, but could not find good defense after h3 as white, only the line suggested by chess engine (hxg4) giving Q for R+B seems to work.

The most promising line is 11.Nc3 followed by Nd5 in the center, but till this knight may be chased later by c pawn not yet advanced.

Is it a real mistake to open d file or is it playable ?
This surprise me a little because my opponent was rated 2000+.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Is it reasonable to open d file in the italian game ? Empty Re: Is it reasonable to open d file in the italian game ?

Post by BorgQueen October 2nd 2011, 10:07 pm

Have you analysed it with an engine? It seems playable to open the d file, but I think I would prefer not to until the time is right. Black could also play an immediate Rd8 at move 10 for some serious compensation for the pawn.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Is it reasonable to open d file in the italian game ? Empty Re: Is it reasonable to open d file in the italian game ?

Post by PawnCustodian October 4th 2011, 5:02 pm

Seems that 8.Bxf6 gives up any advantage, but the real loser is 11.h3 as you say. There's not enough compensation in the hxg4 line.

I'm not sure that 11.Nc3 does the trick as 11...Nd4 looks stronger than your Rad8.

Houdini liked 11. Nbd2, but gives a line that can't be good for White, I suspect that a long analysis would refute the line. White's best chance to hold seems to be 11.c3 protecting d4.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing October 7th 2011, 8:10 pm

ok, thanks for your comments. :-)
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down