International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two popular chess servers

4 posters

Go down

Two popular chess servers Empty Two popular chess servers

Post by kingsmasher1 October 30th 2010, 10:21 am

I am going to discuss about two popular chess servers, chess.com and FICS. I have played in both and i feel, it's much less competitive in chess.com than in FICS. A person with 1600 rating in chess.com is equivalent to 1200 in FICS. Also a lot of LOLs playing in chess.com with higher ratings making silly errors (not really expected of a person having that rating)

What's your opinion? Have you'll tried in these two chess servers? I rate FICS an ideal place for a tough battle, what do you'll say?

kingsmasher1
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Two popular chess servers Empty Re: Two popular chess servers

Post by PurplePredator October 30th 2010, 10:51 am

I prefer chess.com personally, the community there is huge and there's a huge amount of content. I'm currently a Diamond member there and pay £5/$8 a month, but this gives me full access to: chess mentor, tactics trainer, video lessons and many more features. I only just became a member there a few days ago so I can't comment fully on everything, but from what I've experienced so far it's well worth the money.
PurplePredator
PurplePredator
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen October 31st 2010, 1:26 am

Concur with Predator, but I am biased because I have never played on FICS. I can't even say that I know what it is.

Love your avatar PP.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight October 31st 2010, 9:40 am

I have the most experience with FICS and ICC. FICS is free, so I use it for that reason, even though ICC is better (tons of IM/GM, lots of videos and such). ICC kept raising their prices, and didnt' seem to be upgrading their servers or anything (still at ICC, last time I was there, at 230am EST every day things would slow down to a crawl as they did server upkeep, it's like they are in 1996).

Chess.com I don't like the interface very much, sort of amateurish, the seek window isn't as intuitive and useful. People there tend to be less serious about chess too. Lots of dilettantes.

Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen October 31st 2010, 9:56 am

The people I encounter at chess.com seem to be quite serious about their chess... but like any large group in a free environment, you get a huge range of people, lots of idiots, lots of the mediocre and lots of great people!

It's a bit unfair to compare a free environment to a charged one though... of course ICC would have better behaved people since everyone there has to pay, so they value their membership. Lots of the idiots on chess.com are those that are 'free members'. If they had to pay for their membership perhaps they would value it more and behave better ;-)
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmasher1 October 31st 2010, 10:16 am

Yes, i agree with BlueDevilKnight. BorgQueen you are correct about what you said, and the worst thing is when people make you wait for 10 minutes, because the next move they are loosing, and they either disconnect or make you wait.

kingsmasher1
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmasher1 October 31st 2010, 10:20 am

One more disadvantage of chess.com is that they don't support chess variants. FICS supports almost all.

kingsmasher1
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen October 31st 2010, 10:49 am

kingsmasher1 wrote:...the worst thing is when people make you wait for 10 minutes, because the next move they are loosing, and they either disconnect or make you wait...
Doesn't that happen everywhere though? Cheats and the pigheaded are everywhere on the Internet!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmasher1 October 31st 2010, 12:20 pm

I agree you BorgQueen Smile

kingsmasher1
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen October 31st 2010, 8:14 pm

The best server is the OTB one though, by far!

OTB people are so much better behaved, you find very little cheating going on, variants are supported and the face to face component is makes for a good atmosphere!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmasher1 November 1st 2010, 5:01 am

OTB? You mean the "On the Board" chess ? But it's not a server. I agree it is the best form of chess for which there is no substitute. Very Happy

kingsmasher1
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen November 1st 2010, 6:49 am

Yeah, otb = over the board :-)
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down