International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does one feel improvement after six hours a week of chess work?

+8
Bilbo
AoxomoxoA
BobbyBlunder
hoopy
Chess?
Blue Devil Knight
fanat
chesstiger
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Does one feel improvement after six hours a week of chess work? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does one feel improvement after six hours a week of chess work?

Post by PurplePredator November 5th 2010, 3:08 pm

I'm currently on Month 5 but haven't had much time to study the material properly. However I have noticed an improvement over that time from 1400-1650 in my 5 min blitz game. Instead of just moving pieces around the board aimlessly I'm now moving them with a purpose i.e to create a local superiority of forces (love that term) somewhere. I recently started going again through the material properly from Month 1 again, I'm hoping it will push up into the 1800+ range.

Tbh though if it's anything like Math was for me in college, I'm hoping that 1 day it'll just click and all make sense. One things for sure though, I've definitely noticed an improvement in my ability.
PurplePredator
PurplePredator
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Does one feel improvement after six hours a week of chess work? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does one feel improvement after six hours a week of chess work?

Post by BorgQueen November 7th 2010, 6:32 pm

I am on month 2 of month 4. In other words, I didn't find enough time to complete the content of month 4, so I'm giving myself another month to complete it.

I am also devoting 2 hours a day to the study, so more like 14 hours a week. Is it helping? I'm not entirely sure yet. It is expected that you actually get worse while you re-train your thinking method and then it should "come together" and you'd be better off.

Last week I had a "it all came together" otb game. I defeated a player who is 400 rating points my senior! Of course, I cannot tell if it was due to ICS training or some other factors, but I was happy nonetheless :-Þ
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2