International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And So It Begins!!!

5 posters

Go down

And So It Begins!!! Empty And So It Begins!!!

Post by datalore September 11th 2009, 3:43 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to say hi. I used to play chess when I was younger and really wasn't any good. Then I stopped playing for a while and then picked it up again a few years back playing mostly internet chess. Then that didn't last too long and I moved on to other things.

Now, for some reason, I want to learn how to play chess. Right now, I just feel as if I know how the pieces move. I don't know where I got the spark from, but right now I can't stop thinking about chess. I know it's different this time. The first time I was way too young to appreciate chess (wasn't in to it at that time personally) and then later, I was just playing chess as casually I was playing monopoly online - something to do. Now, I really want to learn how to play chess well. I have goals of entering a tournament and really breaking the 2000 mark before i die (I'm around age 30).

Anyway, to make a long story short, I decided to take chess more seriously and want to engage in the study of it. I was even looking for a course on the subject at my local community college. I looked at ICS and maybe it's the good marketing they employ, but I feel as if I can improve if I diligently go through the program - more so than I can from reading a book. Then again, I never really gave a chess book a decent try - I bought a book on the Queens Gambit at one point but never got past the first chapter - I wasn't ready to learn. Now I am.

So, I just wanted to say hi and also thank you for putting up this site. I've been thinking about ICS for a couple of weeks now and have been going over the scant reviews I could find online as well as the posts on this forum. I'm going to decide to take the leap and purchase the main module today (right after I go pick up the Chinese food that I ordered). I was a bit hesitant about ordering the openings module but I'm going to do that as well. It seems people are less happy with the openings module. Personally, I'm an e4 player but I'm not opposed to playing d4. Hey, I bought a book on the subject didn't I?

I don't have a rating as I have never played in a tournament but I would say that I am just a bit above a complete novice. I know that playing in tournaments and frequent play is an important part of learning. I just bought my very first chess set (no kidding) for my birthday and will try to practice OTB as much as possible. I work and all, but I find that I can devote at least an hour a day to the subject and in all likelihood a bit more. Anyway, I want to cut this short. Thanks for putting up this site, and who knows, maybe I will post my progress here in the future.

Take care.

datalore
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

And So It Begins!!! Empty Re: And So It Begins!!!

Post by HangingKing September 12th 2009, 12:43 pm

Hello, welcome to the forum.

It is very quiet for the moment, people took break from chess during the summer and did not returned yet...

According to what you are saying about your level, you may find it difficult at the beginning to follow ICS course, since it assumes you are more or less 1400 elo, and sometimes more.
But it's good also you do not have wrong habits, if you start with this course, you'll go the good way from the start, and it may be more fruitful than for some of us which have to get rid of years of useless knowledge first.

Anyway good luck and see you on the board maybe if you play online chess, LOTR and startrek fan.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by datalore September 12th 2009, 1:18 pm

Hahaha,

I'm glad you got the startrek reference. I was contemplating calling myself "the borg" but figure that might be copyright infringement or something. But, I intend to have a borg-like style of play. Like the Borg, in chess, I will adapt and strive for perfection!

datalore
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy September 12th 2009, 3:53 pm

Welcome. You are in the same boat as many of us. Played it in our youth stopped & want to hit 2000 before we go. You are a bit young to have this middle age mans desire are you not. Anyway welcome again and good luck! Hopefully with summer over the forum will be busy again soon.
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by cofresi September 13th 2009, 8:59 am

Good luck on the journey -
That Yusupov series has been getting great reviews everywhere I see them.
Build your chess, or something like that.

cofresi
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by datalore September 13th 2009, 12:17 pm

Thanks everyone.

I think I'm definitely sticking to the game this time. I'm going through month one as we speak. I think I definitely need to go over it twice (at least) so some of the concepts can sink in and I'm going to try to incorporate it when I play.

I usually play club style almost everyday (at starbucks) but will look towards getting rated within the next few months. We'll see.

datalore
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight September 14th 2009, 11:31 pm

Welcome to chess heaven.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down