International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi from ChromeDome

+2
Blue Devil Knight
ChromeDome
6 posters

Go down

Hi from ChromeDome Empty And So it Begins

Post by ChromeDome September 21st 2009, 12:56 am

Hi All,

I just joined the International Chess School and I am hoping that I can 1) improve my skills as a chess player, and 2) finally get to the 2000 level which I have been dreaming about for many, many years.

I use to play chess everyday back in the seventies after work, but when I left the company so did the enthusiasm. So I have not play since that time. My wife bought me a chess computer for Christmas many years ago. It played a good game of chess but I found the experience very frustrating from the stand point that none of us can analyze a chess board right down to the last move. So there really was no way of ever winning a game. You also did not understand what you did wrong.

About a month ago I found a web site called the Chess Magnet School. They had a one month free trial membership so I figured what do I have to lose for nothing. It was not bad. They pose mate in one, mate in two and mate in three problems. Also they as you to make a move for either black or white that will get them into check mate and then mate them. I find that it has been great exercise to look at a board and get my mind oriented again. However, what is missing is the GAME. Spending hours eveuating position with out any explanation on how you got here and why you are doing what you are doing seems to be a waste. I also have a set of DVDs by Roman Dzindzichashvili on the Russian School of Chess. I thought that it would explain how the school teaches their students to play chess. Well it did not. There was some good infomation on the DVDs but it was not what I was looking for.

Now with the International Chess School I am hoping that they answer many of the questions that have been bothering me for years. The problem is not making the moves because that is easy. You are simply responding to your opponent. What has been missing is what are the opponents intentions and how can you thwart them. Also, why was move made on the board and what thought and analysis process when into making the decision. I am hoping that some of the questions will get answered not only by the lessons from the school, but from everyone who is on the forum.

The bottom line is that everyone here is in the same boat. We all want to inprove out chess and possibly get a rating over 2000. So if we all row the boat in the same direction with a specific intent, I honestly believe that we will all benefit from the experience that we are either already involved in, or embarking on.

So I am hoping for some lively discussions and analysis for everyone and most of all, sharing knowledge with other on the form.

Regards

ChromeDome

ChromeDome
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Hi from ChromeDome Empty Re: Hi from ChromeDome

Post by Blue Devil Knight September 21st 2009, 12:16 pm

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger September 21st 2009, 4:33 pm

Welcome and toi toi toi.
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing September 21st 2009, 5:05 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Hope you will finally find what you search in ICS.

Regarding computers, you may be interested in Arion engine, which has a very awesome "fun" option, that allow it to adapt dynamically (during the course of a game, not a fixed strengh) to your chess level so you always have the impression you can beat it with care play.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by siva.uk75 September 22nd 2010, 5:15 pm

Welcome to the club dear... !!! and enjoy chess. !!!

siva.uk75
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian September 22nd 2010, 6:08 pm

Hey! I used to play chess in Conneticut in the 70's. Local chess club was Watertown, and regularly played tournaments in Hartford, Stamford, Waterbury and New Haven. There was always a lot of activity there back then, especially after Fischer.

Welcome aboard and roll up your sleeves.....

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum