International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guys, I discovered a strategy course better than ICS but same idea

3 posters

Go down

Guys, I discovered a strategy course better than ICS but same idea Empty Guys, I discovered a strategy course better than ICS but same idea

Post by Valmont April 3rd 2021, 7:39 pm

The course name is: Basic Principles of Chess Strategy by Alexey Bartashnikov
LOL no, I'm not getting paid or anything. I had this in my collection of twelve gorillion billion trillion digital chess stuff.

I felt increasingly disappointed with the ICS course; The exercises are to me not rewarding and a second thing I noticed recently, especially for month 7, is that the author often does not explain the nature of things. For example in month 7, pawn phalanxes are explained. But first of all the author uses his own type of phalanxes, so it seems, but doesn't explain their nature the way he sees them. Tells you what to do with it, more or less and shows example games. And I'm not even sure the best example games are selected.

So I searched in my own collection for stuff about phalanxes and stumbled upon this course. Well, this course doesn't have a topic on this subject, but explains everything else simply better. The chosen games are also better, albeit fewer in numbers (3 to 4 per subject). But that's a good thing. Quality of quantity. No need to hang with one subject for a long time. He also covers a few more things, such as one more type of center (Fixated Center). On top of that, Hanging Pawns is also a type of center!

The good thing is that after three days it became far clearer to why the specific order of learning things. For example, first study isolated pawn, then backward pawn, then the d-isolani and only then the hanging pawns (a double c-d file isolani if you will).  That's because hanging pawns combine these three subjects!

Everything makes more sense now and the course has everything in the right order. I have part 1, 2 and 3, which also covers strategy for endgames.

The need for something like ICS I feel is indeed justified I feel, but something better exists with a slightly faster pace too. But as always, don't just "learn" but make the topics part of your natural thinking process. So repeat chapters, but it's far more doable I feel.

Last edited by Valmont on April 3rd 2021, 7:59 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : just typo's and light re-do's. 3rd edit: clarification on centers and few shorter sentences.)
Valmont
Valmont
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Guys, I discovered a strategy course better than ICS but same idea Empty Re: Guys, I discovered a strategy course better than ICS but same idea

Post by MSiipola April 9th 2021, 3:52 am

When I looked at my files I also find the same course! I don't remember when I got it, but it must be many years ago. And as much of my chess materiel, I have not read or studied it!  Guys, I discovered a strategy course better than ICS but same idea 1f60a

MSiipola
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Guys, I discovered a strategy course better than ICS but same idea Empty Re: Guys, I discovered a strategy course better than ICS but same idea

Post by MSiipola April 9th 2021, 4:23 am

"I felt increasingly disappointed with the ICS course; The exercises are to me not rewarding"
I feel much the same way. But I continue, and hopefully some of the exercises are in the long run good for me.

But as usually, it's hard work and there are no shortcuts.

MSiipola
Club Player
Club Player

Valmont likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen April 11th 2021, 6:07 pm

MSiipola wrote:...it's hard work and there are no shortcuts.
The very definition of studying chess.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down