Am I going nuts, or is this an error?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

am i going nuts? or is this an error?

Post by Chess? on April 17th 2009, 8:39 pm

Question on month 2:
• Annotated game 01.
• After the first 3 opening moves the text indicates a variation of 3…g6 what am I missing? Why not 5…Bxe4, doesn’t black win this knight?

3...g6
This is an opening system which combines the idea of the Caro-Kan Defense with those from
Pirc Defense. In Romania this system is very popular, probably also because it was used
regularly and with great success by Victor Ciocaltea, one of the greatest players in the Romanian
chess history. This opening system is also known as Gurgenidze System, after the name of the
Georgian player who used it with success in the 60’s. Objectively speaking, the safest defending
system for Black is the classic one: 3...dxe4 4.Nxe4 Bf5 5.Ng3 Bg6 “why not Bxe4” what am I missing? 6.h4! to gain space on the kingside 6...h6 7.h5 Bh7 8.Nf3 Nd7 9.Bd3 Bxd3 10.Qxd3 Qc7 or 10...e6
avatar
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Posts : 184
Join date : 2009-04-14
Location : canada, west coast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Am I going nuts, or is this an error?

Post by fanat on April 17th 2009, 9:25 pm

Chess? wrote:Question on month 2:
• Annotated game 01.
• After the first 3 opening moves the text indicates a variation of 3…g6 what am I missing? Why not 5…Bxe4, doesn’t black win this knight?

3...g6
This is an opening system which combines the idea of the Caro-Kan Defense with those from
Pirc Defense. In Romania this system is very popular, probably also because it was used
regularly and with great success by Victor Ciocaltea, one of the greatest players in the Romanian
chess history. This opening system is also known as Gurgenidze System, after the name of the
Georgian player who used it with success in the 60’s. Objectively speaking, the safest defending
system for Black is the classic one: 3...dxe4 4.Nxe4 Bf5 5.Ng3 Bg6 “why not Bxe4” what am I missing? 6.h4! to gain space on the kingside 6...h6 7.h5 Bh7 8.Nf3 Nd7 9.Bd3 Bxd3 10.Qxd3 Qc7 or 10...e6

Maybe you are mixing up a knight? The white knight takes e4 pawn then 4...Bf4 threatens the knight and then 5.Ng3 - same knight moves to g3 so bishop can't take it. Am I missing something?
avatar
fanat
National Master
National Master

Posts : 172
Join date : 2009-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

nope, your right fanat. I am loosing my mind.

Post by Chess? on April 17th 2009, 10:33 pm

fanat wrote:
Chess? wrote:Question on month 2:
• Annotated game 01.
• After the first 3 opening moves the text indicates a variation of 3…g6 what am I missing? Why not 5…Bxe4, doesn’t black win this knight?

3...g6
This is an opening system which combines the idea of the Caro-Kan Defense with those from
Pirc Defense. In Romania this system is very popular, probably also because it was used
regularly and with great success by Victor Ciocaltea, one of the greatest players in the Romanian
chess history. This opening system is also known as Gurgenidze System, after the name of the
Georgian player who used it with success in the 60’s. Objectively speaking, the safest defending
system for Black is the classic one: 3...dxe4 4.Nxe4 Bf5 5.Ng3 Bg6 “why not Bxe4” what am I missing? 6.h4! to gain space on the kingside 6...h6 7.h5 Bh7 8.Nf3 Nd7 9.Bd3 Bxd3 10.Qxd3 Qc7 or 10...e6

Maybe you are mixing up a knight? The white knight takes e4 pawn then 4...Bf4 threatens the knight and then 5.Ng3 - same knight moves to g3 so bishop can't take it. Am I missing something?
avatar
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Posts : 184
Join date : 2009-04-14
Location : canada, west coast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Am I going nuts, or is this an error?

Post by fanat on April 17th 2009, 10:41 pm

Don't worry. Maybe it's time a break Very Happy

Sometimes I find that after a little break I digested the material better and feel like I'm making progress!
avatar
fanat
National Master
National Master

Posts : 172
Join date : 2009-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

good idea.

Post by Chess? on April 17th 2009, 11:08 pm

fanat wrote:Don't worry. Maybe it's time a break Very Happy

Sometimes I find that after a little break I digested the material better and feel like I'm making progress!
Sleep
avatar
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Posts : 184
Join date : 2009-04-14
Location : canada, west coast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Am I going nuts, or is this an error?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum