International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Practice Positions?

3 posters

Go down

Practice Positions? Empty Practice Positions?

Post by RadDogFriday January 2nd 2021, 8:19 pm

I'm curious what people use for practice material outside the course.

I've got a small bookshelf of about a dozen informants and I started pulling a random game out of one and do the Threats?-Consequences?-Todo List stuff on the game and see where it takes me from one side, throughout the game.

I wonder if the GM teachers here recommend this idea or have another recommendation on how to "practice" this sort of thing.

RadDogFriday
RadDogFriday
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Morpheus_chessplayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Practice Positions? Empty Re: Practice Positions?

Post by PawnCustodian January 3rd 2021, 5:16 pm

Tough call.

I kind like the comment by Beth Harmon (Queen's Gambit movie on NETFLIX) when presented a composed problem to solve; "I won't see it over the board..." or something to that effect.

I know, it's fiction. Nevertheless, we waste a lot of time losing focus. It might be better to get a collection of games from some database that reflect your opening system and just go with that for positions to study. If you subscribed to the opening course they have a description of how to put together a game collection for that kind of study.

BTW, this site applies ranking by number of posts, so add a grain of salt to any comments; mine included (especially).

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Valmont January 3rd 2021, 5:39 pm

Actually, I'm kinda done after studying the ICS material for a few hours.
Every day I want to make sure I have energy left to also practice the vision exercises. The rest is a matter of playing chess and trying to remember to look for themes I have learned.
Valmont
Valmont
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by RadDogFriday January 4th 2021, 4:34 pm

PawnCustodian wrote:
... It might be better to get a collection of games from some database that reflect your opening system and just go with that for positions to study. If you subscribed to the opening course they have a description of how to put together a game collection for that kind of study.

BTW, this site applies ranking by number of posts, so add a grain of salt to any comments; mine included (especially).

I did get the Opening Preparation course and latched onto the Semi-Slav and Kalashnikov. I'm on Step 4 of the Semi-Slav*.pdf on the Recommendation of Study and Practice. I'll assemble a good amount of games in my openings of choice using chessbase and Week In Chess files, but I did not see anything in the Opening preparation course for that. Looks like I am doing that already.

<>

Valmont wrote:Every day I want to make sure I have energy left to also practice the vision exercises.

That is a great idea. I do run out of gas some days after working all day.

I've been aware that during my rapid games, once engaged into the fight I tend to throw the baby out with the bathwater and revert to my (bad) old habits. I am hoping if I do some focused training on positions and articulate the Threats?-Consequences?-ToDo List, I will create a good habit that will just happen. Right now I have to be conscious of it and I let it slide in the heat of battle.

Thanks, all.
RadDogFriday
RadDogFriday
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down