International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting Better...IF you really want to

5 posters

Go down

Getting Better...IF you really want to Empty Getting Better...IF you really want to

Post by Leavenfish August 3rd 2014, 12:27 pm

Let me point out something which should be obvious...but people forget about it - can't see the forest for the trees, you might say.

After a point...I would say when you have a reasonable game - are not seeing much 'new' in books/lectures about basic strategy and have some small flair for tactics...the way to get better is NOT to "know more". It is to "Do Better" with what you know.

Chess books are churned out by the hundreds each year which really do not address the latter point. It's an industry and it sucks people into the 'if I only know more' mentality, I will 'get better'.

Wrong.

What you need to do is accentuate what you do know and to take that further by practice where you simply develop that AT THE BOARD. Calculate better (not deeper)...and book can not make you do that. Evaluate better (after a point, a book will not help there...you have to practice doing that and evaluating your decisions), Mentally manipulate the pieces (again, yet another book will not help you there)...ONLY YOU do that in the lonely confines of your own head. Spot Things better (IF you use a book correctly, this can always help....but it has to be a good book and even then, you have to practice DOING IT at the board, not  the artificial confines of your study with a book in hand. I actually think it is our modern 'capitalistic mindset' where we can purchase things that drives us in this direction.

That is basically it. I was reminded of this again recently after re-reading Rowson's books: Seven Deadly Sins and Chess For Zebras. He does not say this in exactly these words, but that is my take away. I urge anyone to read...digest...and let these books help you see the game differently.

How does this tie to ICS? Well...ICS is like a GOOD BOOK which gets you to a certain place and from there....well, you have to master those 'at the board' things I just mentioned and push yourself in doing so. Some of the videos I am particularly impressed with. The Attacking the King videos for example. I really felt like I 'got it' in a way I never did after going thru Aagaard's 2 Attacking Manuals. Seriously.

A 'teacher' will often regurgitate what he has found in books. Teachers are for really weak players and perhaps that is because they tend to do so in groups...they teach towards the lowest common denominator. Trainers, look at your play and do a better job of getting you to where you need to be in areas like I mentioned above. Even then...YOU have to put in the effort! I DO think these ICS lectures are the best available at  getting you in a position to think properly at the board. I see all the Smirnov Heads jumping into forums. I've sampled his stuff...it's not nearly as good in my opinion. I almost think he and his people make a point of making their presence on chess forums to simply further their product. I can't prove it...but it seems all too obvious at times. Anyway...let me get back to the point of this post.

What I am getting at is that any REAL CHESS IMPROVEMENT IS UP TO YOU. We can get sidetracked by 'reading yet another book'..."reading and nodding" as someone famously put it. This really doesn't get anywhere in the end. Neither do chess videos. It's up to you and you alone. Think 'properly' (ICS helps there) and push yourself and there is no telling where you will end up.

Leavenfish

I own 700+ chess books
Mo's 1-4 of core course
Mo's 1-4 of Essentials and Systems of Champions
USCF 'Expert' rating for the past 25 yrs. Developed 'bad habits' in getting there, so while they partially keep me there, I realize...they also keep me from 'getting better'. It's hard to 'unlearn' bad habits!

Last edited by Leavenfish on August 3rd 2014, 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Leavenfish
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Getting Better...IF you really want to Empty Re: Getting Better...IF you really want to

Post by Mystique August 3rd 2014, 1:37 pm

Very good statement Leavenfish !! Is there a LIKE button anywhere...
I also bought the Smirnov course "GM secret's" but I wasn't very much impressed. Also find ICS very good, but honestly I am also distracted from the course by recommendations from other people at the chess club, from internet etc. Your statement inspired me to head for ICS again and stick to what's really matters to me. I will combine this togheter with "De stappenmethode" (Dutch) or  "step method" which is used in my country to teach children chess. This also fit's me because I am not an advanced player and this method teach chess in plain language. (Not meaning simple)
Thank's Leavenfish !!

Mystique
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Getting Better...IF you really want to Empty Re: Getting Better...IF you really want to

Post by BorgQueen September 7th 2014, 3:46 am

Good stuff Leavenfish, totally agree.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger November 18th 2015, 4:43 pm

@Leavenfish

Indeed! Killing bad habbits takes time.

@Mystique

Only noticed now that you are from the Netherlands. I am from Belgium, the dutch (or must I say flemish) speaking part.
I give chess lessons in my chess club and I must point out that the step method is also for adults who want to learn chess. T
he step method is mostly build on tactical devises while ICS course is more positional.

What I mean is that the step method is a good sidekick for the ICS course if you want to combine tactical and positional chess study.
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian November 25th 2015, 10:47 am

Like @Mystique I've been looking at Smirnov courses and agree that they are a mixed lot.
I like "Calculate to Mate" a lot and have been working through the course. It is a very practical approach which fills a void in the ICS program which basically says to "get a book on tactics". It complements the ICS program very nicely.
Self Taught Grandmaster also has some merit with regard to structuring your training program, but it seem largely an advertisement for his other programs.
I haven't looked at "Grandmaster Secrets" since it appeared to me to cover what the ICS program does but at a lower level.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum