International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many openings do you use generally ?

+5
Strad
chesstiger
Blue Devil Knight
fanat
HangingKing
9 posters

Go down

How many openings do you use generally (on a regular basis, not just some fancy try) ?

How many openings do you use generally ? Vote_lcap13%How many openings do you use generally ? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
How many openings do you use generally ? Vote_lcap19%How many openings do you use generally ? Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
How many openings do you use generally ? Vote_lcap44%How many openings do you use generally ? Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 7 ]
How many openings do you use generally ? Vote_lcap19%How many openings do you use generally ? Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
How many openings do you use generally ? Vote_lcap5%How many openings do you use generally ? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
How many openings do you use generally ? Vote_lcap0%How many openings do you use generally ? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
How many openings do you use generally ? Vote_lcap0%How many openings do you use generally ? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 16

How many openings do you use generally ? Empty How many openings do you use generally ?

Post by HangingKing April 28th 2009, 3:37 pm

Small precision, count only for one color.
Thus if you always play french advance as white and sicilian defense as black, your answer will be 1, because you always do the same games.
I guess you can answer 1 also if you always do the same with white, and has only 2 for black wether you have to answer a king's or a queen's pawn game.
For the other responses, i think it's not so important.

I think i'm using a lot of openings and would like to know about you.
I generally do :
- sicilian (all kind of variations), as white and black
- queen's pawn game
- english symetrical, botvinnik variation as black (to not go to the sicilian)
- ruy lopez exchange variation as white
- QGD slav defense
- philidors's defense as black
- and french advance, generally as white
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

How many openings do you use generally ? Empty Re: How many openings do you use generally ?

Post by fanat April 28th 2009, 3:42 pm

As white:
Catalan - usually
English - learning and trying it now.

As black:
French defense against e4
QID defense against d4. I should also learn NID to have complete defense against d4 but don't know when I will have time.

Overall, I'm trying to cut down on opening theory otherwise I will never finish the ICS course!!!!!
fanat
fanat
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

How many openings do you use generally ? Empty Re: How many openings do you use generally ?

Post by Blue Devil Knight April 28th 2009, 4:02 pm

I have settled on the following, with backup risky opening in parentheses:
Birds (Danish Gambit)
Slav (Englund Gambit)
Caro-Kann (Scandinavian)

Opening theory is chess crack. It isn't good for me, but I find it hard to stay away from the stuff.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger April 28th 2009, 5:12 pm

As white:
Colle(-Zuckertort) or London system.

As black:
French
Small part of Sicilian
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Strad April 28th 2009, 10:28 pm

as white i'm e4 player:
...e5 Bishop Opening or Spanish
...c5 Closed Sicilian
...e6 King's Indian Attack
...d6 and g6 Atack 150

as Black i play Spanish and Nimzoindian.

Strad
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing April 29th 2009, 7:00 am

You certainly use far less openings than me.

In fact for a long time, i refused to learn any opening because i think it deletes some instinct from the board, as a consequence i familiarized myself with many different ways to start a game. Of course i noticed over the time, that i was more or less doing the same moves in given positions, and for the openings i was playing regularly i finally learn about the theoretical moves in the book.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy May 8th 2009, 3:34 pm

Last edited by hoopy on May 8th 2009, 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : lIVE IN SMALL COUNTRY DON'T WANT TO GIVE ALL OF MY GAME AWAY!!)
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by hyperactivemodernist May 8th 2009, 4:04 pm

White
Italian Game (Evans Gambit, or Giuoco Piano against 3...Bc5; Max Lange Attack against Two Knight's Defense. )

Black

French Defense against e4

Against d4, I usually play Nimzo-Indian, but I'm thinking of switching to KID, so I can play one defense against d4 instead of having to also learn QID, or Benoni or something else when white avoids 3. Nc3.

As others have said, I try to limit my opening choices as much as possible, so I can focus more attention on other aspects of the game. However, there are so many variations in each opening family that I still have plenty to study!
hyperactivemodernist
hyperactivemodernist
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

How many openings do you use generally ? Empty Opening Repertoire

Post by KasparovIsGod June 4th 2009, 2:30 am

I used to play e4 when I started, but having encountered e5 and c5 (both Ruy Lopez and Sicilian require entirely too much study just to get a small edge against booked-up players) I have stopped playing e4.
Now I play 1) Nf3 as white & 1)...c6 [against e4] and 1)...Nf6 [against d4/Nf3.]

KasparovIsGod
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Chess? June 6th 2009, 1:09 am

Ruy Lopez, I just started with this as a result of ICS. I have a long way to go, but I have found a taste of success.

Najorf, I have used Kasparov's DVD's for this opening and found them great.
Chess?
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down