International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has everyone quit?

+8
Victorian Gent
Leavenfish
PawnCustodian
David65
WeakPlayer
BorgQueen
ernestosim01
ChessAdmin
12 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Has everyone quit? - Page 2 Empty Re: Has everyone quit?

Post by David65 May 14th 2013, 3:11 pm

On the exercises in general one of the things I have come to realise is that chess improvement is a slow process. Like WeakPlayer, some of mine were correct and others way off but I am taking encouragement in any small progress. For example, I don't play at a club just against my computer and when I started the course it rated me at 1100 (it doesn't matter if that is an accurate elo to me). At 1100 most games were long with every one being decided by a terrible blunder. After completing month 2 I can beat it really easily every time now and I play it at 1450. But I know in my own understanding that I have improved so getting exercises wrong doesn't come as a blow to me.

I really enjoy the course and have signed up for all 3 years. I have supplemented it with endgame and tactics books.

David65
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by WeakPlayer May 14th 2013, 3:24 pm

I second your opinion David65.

WeakPlayer
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by David65 May 14th 2013, 3:47 pm

Ok, I just looked into what is involved in setting up a forum and it's much easier than I thought. I have set a basic one up here:

http://ics-forum.forumotion.com/

@Weakplayer and @ernestosim01
If you want to register I'll set it up so that we can go through month by month. Anyone else is welcome of course.

I would have prefered to continue here but I don't see the point if there is no admin around.

David65
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen May 14th 2013, 7:45 pm

Starting up a new forum is a whole lot more work that you might think David... it's not just creating one mechanically, it's creating all the right categories and configuration of all the bits and pieces that takes the time. And then you, as admin, will have to show up every time you log in and check all the areas to make sure there's no garbage postings etc etc.

There's still a lot of content here to be read, even if it is aging, and there's not that much of a spam issue ... yet. Hopefully the adminz will turn up, realise that more admins are needed and appoint them.

You'll also have to be VERY careful not to violate copyrights over the ICS content.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by David65 May 14th 2013, 7:53 pm

You may be right although I notice the admin here hasn't logged in since Sptember 2012, over 8 months ago.

It was just a thought. I hadn't been here for a long time before I came yesterday and I'll probably not be here for a while again. I have put the new forum in maintenance mode and will delete it later.

Cheers.

David65
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen May 15th 2013, 5:14 am

I'll e-mail the admin and see if he can give this forum some attention.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ernestosim01 May 15th 2013, 10:56 am

That'll be good BQ. And for the meantime can you pls start a new topic as I notice we are trying to revive the forum yet we're using a thread that tells something about quitting? Sad
Btw, is BDK still active chesswise?

Thanks!

Last edited by ernestosim01 on May 15th 2013, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing word)

ernestosim01
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen May 15th 2013, 7:22 pm

I don't know if he is still active, even his blog seems to have stopped...

Hope he's ok.

Anyone can create a new topic, and I am perfectly willing to, but what subject shall it be? Talking about reviving this forum in a topic asking why the forum activity is so low seems pretty much on topic if you ask me!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ChessAdmin May 15th 2013, 8:53 pm

BDK announced that he was closing his blog a long time ago, then continued to be active here for a while, but obviously hasn't been around since last year.

While these forums are pretty nice, they need an active admin or at least a moderator, to keep things going and clean up spammers etc. if they wander in.
ChessAdmin
ChessAdmin
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

https://www.pathtochessmastery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ernestosim01 May 16th 2013, 4:02 am

How do you keep motivated?
I feel I'm in my lowest moment now-
Losing streak in chess.com for a a couple of days coupled with diminishing TT score make we want to bang my head! I feel like my investment in time, money and effort in chess are all rubbish, while others seem to be good at it effortlessly.

ernestosim01
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen May 16th 2013, 9:10 pm

Now that is a topic worth creating!! Motivation and dealing with the "low times" is something of a whole other story.

https://icsdiscussion.forumotion.net/t463-keeping-motivated#3945
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian May 18th 2013, 9:07 am

One more month to go and I will have gone the full three years! I'm going to miss the monthly lessons and just hope I can keep my interest up without the structured study plan.

The endgame videos in year two are great, but they really don't constitute an endgame "course". I think John Nunn's "Understanding Chess Endgames" is all the basic endgame info anyone would need, then the ICS annotated games and videos pick up one level above that.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by WeakPlayer May 18th 2013, 1:15 pm

@PawnCustodian: Did you get benefit from this 3 years course? Is your OTB play improved?

WeakPlayer
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian May 18th 2013, 2:16 pm

Actually I've only been playing on the ICCF. Since computers are allowed ratings don't really mean anything.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen May 20th 2013, 2:58 am

Yeah, that can't be good can it? If computer engines are allowed, is EVERYONE using engines? Sounds like a bit of a waste of time to me.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian May 20th 2013, 8:37 am

BorgQueen wrote:Yeah, that can't be good can it? If computer engines are allowed, is EVERYONE using engines? Sounds like a bit of a waste of time to me.

I have no way of knowing what percentage players are using computers. Examining their moves I'd say that most do, but there are a few who do not.

Waste of time? So is chess I suppose. I have a researcher mentality so enjoy searching the databases for openining ideas, comparing engine outputs, and using the ICS materials to study and play.

For OTB play I think it could hurt, I feel that my visualization skills are somewhat diminished by going to the engines or moving the pieces on a board too soon. I know my ability to calculate tactics has slowed down a lot based on my recent performance on chess tempo - that could be just my advancing age, or my approach to chess, I don't know.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen May 20th 2013, 10:25 am

Reliance on chess engines will make you mentally lazy. I'd recommend abandoning ICCF since it seems, to me, to be just a place to match engine against engine. Give it up and get back to OTB. Depends on what is more important to you, playing chess yourself or allowing engines to dictate play and be amazed at their strength!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian May 20th 2013, 3:47 pm

BorgQueen wrote:Reliance on chess engines will make you mentally lazy. I'd recommend abandoning ICCF since it seems, to me, to be just a place to match engine against engine.

True enough. But to be fair, the top players on the ICCF know when to accept or reject engine analysis. Personally, I frequently reject engine analysis in favor of some strategic objective, especially in the openings and during the border between middle and endgames where engines are not particularly reliable. Unlike what many seem to believe it's not a case of running an engine overnight and playing the best number.

OTB does have a lot of benefits, especially for exercising memory and mental focus, not to mention the social aspects so I'll probably take up your suggestion. But like a moth into the fire I'll sign up to another ICCF tournabment in a weak moment at some point...

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen May 20th 2013, 7:36 pm

Well you sure know engines better than I do! If I were inclined to play with them in use, I would probably just run it overnight and "play the numbers".
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Leavenfish May 21st 2013, 9:37 pm

PawnCustodian wrote:
BorgQueen wrote:Reliance on chess engines will make you mentally lazy. I'd recommend abandoning ICCF since it seems, to me, to be just a place to match engine against engine.

True enough. But to be fair, the top players on the ICCF know when to accept or reject engine analysis. Personally, I frequently reject engine analysis in favor of some strategic objective, especially in the openings and during the border between middle and endgames where engines are not particularly reliable. Unlike what many seem to believe it's not a case of running an engine overnight and playing the best number
OTB does have a lot of benefits, especially for exercising memory and mental focus, not to mention the social aspects so I'll probably take up your suggestion. But like a moth into the fire I'll sign up to another ICCF tournabment in a weak moment at some point...

I quit ICCF over a decade ago at 2398 and a good World Championship semi-final run (50%)...people were using engines a lot then and frankly, it's not a sport anymore. To use an analogy: Player A vs Player B and they are engaged in 'guiding' their jet ski's around a water course - it's the 'engines' in the water ski's that do all the heavy lifting...but the people on them think 'they' are really doing something. Oh, they are to a degree...but lets face it. Kasparov or Carlsen vs a 2200 player in a 6 game ICCF match...what's the score really going to be? When a 2200 can push around his little engine and possibly beat a flesh and blood super GM ...it's all rather pointless. I don't live in the land of delusion.

Anyway, I got thru Month 3 and have stopped for the moment and am going thru Aagaard's 'GM Preporation' books...probably of more use to me at the moment.

Leavenfish
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen May 21st 2013, 10:24 pm

Hehe, nice analogy Wink
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian May 22nd 2013, 8:49 am

Leavenfish wrote:

When a 2200 can push around his little engine and possibly beat a flesh and blood super GM ...it's all rather pointless. I don't live in the land of delusion.

I'm not so sure they would win against a super GM. When you follow their OTB games with a computer they have a pretty high hit rate, given the extra time they would probably make some better decisions than the engines in many cases - it would be an interesting challenge to watch.

I agree 100% that ICCF is not a sporting event, the mismatch between players and equipment is huge and you have no way to know who (what) you are playing against. You could make the same argument comparing ratings of super GMs with their financial support, seconds, and other resources playing against amateurs - it's simply not the same game and anyone would be deluding themselves if they believe otherwise.

Regardless of all my rambling, congratulations on a great run towards a world championship!

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Leavenfish May 23rd 2013, 1:07 am

PawnCustodian wrote:
I'm not so sure they would win against a super GM. When you follow their OTB games with a computer they have a pretty high hit rate, given the extra time they would probably make some better decisions than the engines in many cases - it would be an interesting challenge to watch.

A match (doesn't have to be 6 games) with a 2200 ELO, sitting at home with all his resources and virtually limitless time to run, say Houdini, his databases and maybe using Convecta's Aquarium program...against a GM sitting at home analyzing with a board and pieces and nothing more...I really do think the GM would lose...or at least not win. Humans are prone to error, Computers are not (tactically) and a competent master level player, I believe, could use his tools and knowledge to carry the day.

We will never know I guess...the best test we have ever got are the computer vs OTB matches which seem to be a thing of the past since the computer programs are so strong these days.

And thanks...correspondence chess was a grueling thing back then.

Leavenfish
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen May 23rd 2013, 1:37 am

I agree.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Has everyone quit? - Page 2 Empty Hey: Did not realise you guys were still out there

Post by Victorian Gent May 24th 2013, 7:05 pm

No I havn't quit. But you may think me disloyal!!I have reached a great moment in my life. I am lucky enough to be able to early retire from work in a few days time and devote serious time to chess. I was going to start with the ICS material which I have bought a few months ago but have not really started since waited till I can do it justice when I retire. But feel I may be too weak to do the course st away (I am about 1750 grade) so plan to do some of Smirnov's courses first (hence my potential disloyalty comment).

But I would love to get moral support from all you guys out there. I love the idea of this forum but thought that everyone had given up on it.

VG

Victorian Gent
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum