International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sharing my recent chess tourney story

4 posters

Go down

Sharing my recent chess tourney story Empty Sharing my recent chess tourney story

Post by kingsmasher1 April 17th 2012, 1:49 pm

Guys, i know we all love chess, and here we discuss our happy and sad parts of the same.
I am here to share my sad story today, and need some good advice from you people.

Last 2 weeks, i played in 2 rated FIDE tournaments.
I scored a total of 3 points against rated players (don't ask out of how many Smile )

One thing i saw is, these days people are even getting a rating of some 1200+ affraid , where olden days 2000+ was the minimum rating given by FIDE, which shows commercialization.
I managed to win against some 1400+ and 1290+.

But the sad part of the story is, today i withdrew from the tourney in 7th round Sad
It's not that my opponent played some huge tactical shot, or a great win, but the only reason is, i made blunder in calculation, and lost extra pieces, which resulted in 3 consecutive loss. And this happened in consecutive matches.

My problem is, i played a bit fast, and this resulted in miscalculation and easy blunders. I tried a lot to check it, but happened again. affraid affraid
Please please need some good thought, as how to check or better to say, stop this tendency of fast and intuitive play confused confused

kingsmasher1
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Sharing my recent chess tourney story Empty Re: Sharing my recent chess tourney story

Post by BorgQueen April 18th 2012, 3:58 am

When you say you played a bit fast, how fast was it... exactly?

I used to suffer from playing too fast and now I suffer from time pressure. I think too long looking at possible tactics...

The thing that stops me from these kinds of bluders is to do TWO tactics checks... one to see what you have and then another to see what your opponent can do.

It's hard to give really meaningful advice as we can't see how, exactly, you blundered... did you miss a 7 move complicated tactic that your opponent throws at you to lose a piece? Or did you simply not notice that you left a piece undefended and under direct attack?

Both are solved by checking to see what your opponent can do! When you get good at doing this I think you'll find your blundering percentage goes down!

Cheers!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Sharing my recent chess tourney story Empty Re: Sharing my recent chess tourney story

Post by kingsmasher1 April 20th 2012, 4:26 am

fast like..instantaneous response, and this resulted in loss of an extra piece in multiple exchange and finally resulted in a loss.

But the good thing is, i can assure after these 2 tourneys (3 rated tourneys in total till date) is, it is manageable to beat any 1500 ~ 1600 FIDE rated players with a little bit of good preparation.
I saw 1200 are good but easy, 1400 a little stable but you can beat with a little thought.

1500+ are positionally stable, and have good understanding, but you can beat them too with a little effort.

Thus, if i am not getting too superficial, i would say with some years of good preparation it is possible for anyone to reach 2000+ rating cheers (at least, if not)

kingsmasher1
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing April 21st 2012, 1:25 pm

Unfortunately i believe it is a personnality fact. I remember when i was young i played in a chess/checker club at school, my level was higher than my clubmates, but i was also the one making most blunders especially in advanced middlegame. So the first tournament we made (was checkers), i was 1st board, guess what... i lost all 3.

A few years ago i restarted chess after long break, and you could imagine that maturity would have wiped out this blundering thing, but not all. And till now, i'm just blundering too much to my taste, the only difference is that my "intrinsic" level is much higher.

So i just try to live with that, since globally i feel improvment, the problem is that my ELO is kind of stuck around 1750, because if i can win regularly against 1900, 2000 players, i can also easily loose to 1400 (and big drop of points...).
As i blunder more frequently than i succeed...

So you have to try to identify among wrong moves, which are blunders and which are mistakes. I mean feel the difference between a move you would never do in post mortem analysis (blunder) and one you don't know what else to answer if you were given a second chance (mistakes).

The mistakes, you can correct, by learning strategy, positionnal pattern, and so on. So what i do is to try to reduce the mistake %, and i let the blunder % on account of bad sleep, excitment, inattention, nervosity, etc...

Depend what is your goal, have a high rating or be able to win any opponent in your good days.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmasher1 April 22nd 2012, 12:37 am

Very well said, hangingking.

I 100% agree with you, yes it is a personality factor, and adding to your statements, i would say, it is also a hereditary factor too, although i know we should not "name" our parents because of our errors, but as i have seen from my childhood, yes it adds a factor.

So, it's hard to change completely and quickly, but there is no standing to dedication, determination and hard-work, and if these 3 are added, i am sure these 2 factors (hereditary and personality) can be suppressed to some extent, if not totally eliminated. Very Happy

kingsmasher1
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian April 22nd 2012, 3:00 pm

I suppose it's no different than with the marital arts.

Beginners learn their forms; perfecting punches, kicks and blocks. Then their sensi allows them to spar and suddenly they have to learn all over again how to execute the basics and overcome the confusion of fighting one or more opponents.

ICS instruction is learning the forms, and tournements is sparring. So hang in there and your results will improve with experience.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmasher1 April 23rd 2012, 1:01 am

Comparing chess and martial arts, true. One is physical and other is mental and psychological too.

May be that's why Josh Waitzkin too over to the later, after (close to) perfecting the first one.

kingsmasher1
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian April 23rd 2012, 7:41 am

I was wondering whatever happened to him...

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down