International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can we have a book reviews subforum?

4 posters

Go down

Can we have a book reviews subforum? Empty Can we have a book reviews subforum?

Post by StarByrne September 23rd 2010, 1:29 pm

I think this would be useful and might create some interesting discussions.

StarByrne
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Can we have a book reviews subforum? Empty Re: Can we have a book reviews subforum?

Post by BorgQueen September 23rd 2010, 7:47 pm

Good idea :-)
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Can we have a book reviews subforum? Empty Re: Can we have a book reviews subforum?

Post by Blue Devil Knight September 23rd 2010, 11:23 pm

I'm skeptical that it shouldn't just be in the general discussion forum, but I'll put it up and see if we get any bites....
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo September 24th 2010, 2:19 pm

I just started the first discussion there, Silman's Endgame course. I think it's a great book!

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight October 9th 2010, 1:35 pm

I deleted the book review category as a special category and pushed the one review we had into the general chess discussion category.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen October 10th 2010, 1:52 am

Why? There will be more books reviewed in time,... now they will end up buried in the 'chat' area.

I would have created one for the new Silman book coming very very soon.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight October 11th 2010, 12:19 pm

If we get enough book reviews in the general chess section, I'll spawn it again. Right now with one book review it just seems silly.

Also, merging the category with only one post is a corollary of my desire to minimize the number of non-course-related subforums. Also, for content outside of the main course, I prefer to add categories based on content, not predictions of content. That was a mistake on my part to just add the subforum before we had the content (obviously, for course content, such as month 10, I made the categories because this site is devoted to the course, and that is the most natural way to parse things).

How about this deal: Once we have five book reviews in the general chess forum, I'll create the subforum.

Incidentally, which Silman book are you planning to review, did he release the 4th edition of Reassess your chess?

Edit: it looks like the 4th edition is due out this month! Awesome!!! I just blogged about it:
http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com/2010/10/fourth-edition-of-reassess-is-due-out.html
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen October 12th 2010, 3:17 am

Yes, the Reassess your chess 4th edition is what I am going to buy and post about, unless someone beats me to it.

I am sure you'd get 5 book reviews in the subforum pretty fast if it remains, but if there isn't one I think it would take longer. My view is to give it some more time!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by StarByrne October 12th 2010, 4:23 am

I am also dissapointed it was removed. I'm currently reading "Logical Chess Move by Move" by Chernev, I should be able to post a review in a couple weeks time. I've been neglecting Chess the past couple weeks, been very busy with work. But I hope to be able to review 1 book per month from now on.

Last edited by StarByrne on October 12th 2010, 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

StarByrne
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen October 12th 2010, 9:21 am

That was a great book! One of the first books I read. I read it three times in a row. I would definitely reply to a topic made about that book with positive favour!!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight October 12th 2010, 1:59 pm

OK, I'll bend: once there are *four* reviews actually posted (not predicted to be posted), I will create the forum again.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo October 14th 2010, 5:52 pm

Blue Devil Knight wrote:OK, I'll bend: once there are *four* reviews actually posted (not predicted to be posted), I will create the forum again.

Actually I did create a thread last year about Herman Grooten's book 'Chess Strategy For Club Players', which was very relavent to this course. You could add that to the book review section as well. I think it would likely become the most popular subforum really.

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen October 14th 2010, 6:39 pm

So that's three already.... come on BDK! :-)

"Back by popular demand!"
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight October 15th 2010, 2:10 pm

Four, and it's done. I count two so far. Those of you predicting more, get to it!
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down