International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you get your question answered by ICS?

3 posters

Go down

Do you get your question answered by ICS? Empty Do you get your question answered by ICS?

Post by wong June 26th 2010, 6:40 am

I just joined ICS early this month and studying the materials.

I think it is very important to fully understand all the theories to take max benefits from the the course.....

Does any of you ask any question about the material and get answer?

I ask a question but didn't get any reply from ICS.

I was asking about
In game 2, the comment after move 16 -
The square h7 is weak because of the pawn push h7-h6.

I asked Raul why was the pawn move from h7 to h6 can caused the h7 square to be weak. I suppose even if the pawn unmoved, h7 was always weak.

I'm trying to understand why the move h7 - h6 can cause h7 to be weak.
Also at other times when the annotation says weak square, I don't always understand why it is weak as no explanation was given. Perhaps if I understand it once, in future it will be fine.

I expect ICS to answer otherwise it's no point to be in school as students cannot ask question...anybody has any comment?

wong
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Do you get your question answered by ICS? Empty Re: Do you get your question answered by ICS?

Post by Blue Devil Knight June 26th 2010, 3:20 pm

It's a set of lectures, not a conversation, dont' expect them to answer chess questions just as you probably wouldn't expect the author of a book to answer your questions.

That's what this forum is for Smile
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Do you get your question answered by ICS? Empty Re: Do you get your question answered by ICS?

Post by wong June 27th 2010, 11:44 am

Will you or anyone able to answer my question to help me? Smile

wong
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight June 27th 2010, 7:23 pm

Someone will answer, it's slow this weekend. Right now I am busy but if you posted the actual game fragment you'd be more likely to get a response quickly. How to do that is here:
https://icsdiscussion.forumotion.net/postmortems-f23/how-to-display-animated-games-in-your-posts-t42.htm
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing June 29th 2010, 4:07 pm

Well, i had a look at the game in question.

I think focusing too much on the weakness of h7 is not the point. Reading the comments for this game in details do not give me any clue to analyse why this square would be more weaker with or without the pawn on it.

What you should focus on when talking about weaknesses is pawn structure ! Here the castling is more strong with all pawns on the 7th, so the h7-h6 advance with no real piece to chase is just a weak move because the defense of the king become weaker than the strongest structure. It does not mean it is awfull, just weaker.
Also since the light bishop is away, the pawn advance controls 1 less light square (g6), fragilizing light squares in general.

So h7 in itslef is not more weak or less weak than with the pawn on it, but the move h7-h6 is weak in these circumstances (no piece to chase, light bishop away) and h7 can become a target for an opponent who would decide to attack on light squares, thus h7 qualified "weak" by abuse of language.

HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by wong July 1st 2010, 12:13 am

Blue Devil Knight - I will learn how to paste chess diagram:)

Thanks HangingKing for the answer...

Actually, I also think that after castling, having a pawn on h7 or without a pawn on h7 after the move h7 - h6 doesn't make any difference in the strength of h7 square. The only thing is after the move h7 - h6, it weakens the g6 square (even if with pawns on g7 and f7).

I think the move h7 - h6 doesn't make the h7 weak but in general weakens the pawn structure in front of the king and make it vulnerable to mating attack on light diagonal (with queen and bishop usually) against h7 because the defending move g7-g6 weakens the king further and a piece sacrifice like a knight on g6 then is overwhelming....so the move h7 - h6 weakens the g6 square and making h7 more vulnerable to diagonal attack..
Does everyone agree?

Sometimes I wish when ICS says a square is weak, it will also explain WHY is so....

wong
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by wong July 1st 2010, 9:01 am

By the way, I remember that ICS says it will answer students questions. That's wat ICS did to attract students to its course.....see

http://www.chessmasterschool.com/comparison.asp

it states - We answer to the students' questions
and advise them at their request

wong
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing July 1st 2010, 3:20 pm

Well, there was the romanian open last week, and ICS authors are romanian, maybe it explains...

HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight July 1st 2010, 4:15 pm

wong wrote:By the way, I remember that ICS says it will answer students questions. That's wat ICS did to attract students to its course.....see

http://www.chessmasterschool.com/comparison.asp

it states - We answer to the students' questions
and advise them at their request

Well, you make a good case wong!

Pretty much that seems wrong, unfortunately.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by wong July 1st 2010, 10:28 pm

So Blue Devil Knight and others here - any of you have asked question before and didn't get any answer from ICS?

wong
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by wong July 1st 2010, 10:32 pm

HangingKing - perhaps when the Romanian open ends I'll ask again and see if they will answer my question........i'll give them time and see....

wong
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight July 2nd 2010, 11:49 pm

Don't expect them to answer chess questions quickly. It isn't how they work. They typically say 'We'll answer that in the next update' and it is God's knowledge when that happens.

If you joined for that you joined the wrong program. Use it for the lessons that are there: they are very good. As for extra stuff, that is just not a major (or even minor) part of the program.

That's what we are for! Smile
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by wong July 3rd 2010, 2:53 am

btw, how is your chess progress?

I have read Jeremy Silman's book How to Reassess Your Chess.
In that book, Silman states that when the opening is over, choosing the side of the board you wish to play on is VERY important......does ICS teach the same thing?
I"m only month 1 and waiting for month 2 material...

wong
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down