International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tarrasch Defence

5 posters

Go down

Tarrasch Defence Empty Tarrasch Defence

Post by hoopy February 4th 2010, 6:11 pm

Why is this included? If you follow the opening theory that is presented there is no reason to end up playing this line. It will only occur if you respond 3Nf3 to QGD (d5 followed by e6). If you follow the logic of the opening theories then you play 3g3 Catalan.

What I identfiied from this is that there is a section missing in the Opening book. What is needed in a move 1-5 theory which shows the paths to be followed in opening theory practice and how to bring it back to the studied lines. I have written this for me today on Paper & will write it up over the weekend & publish.

(BDK if I have put this in the wrong section in openings I'd appreciate if it can be moved)
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Tarrasch Defence Empty Re: Tarrasch Defence

Post by PythonChess February 4th 2010, 7:47 pm

I do not subscribe to the opening module. But I cannot see how White can avoid the Tarrasch with the Catalan. There is little to stop Black from playing c5 on the third or fourth move.

PythonChess
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight February 5th 2010, 11:55 am

Well, they have many transpositional possibilities covered in the course. OTOH, as white you don't play 3Nc3, which I think is technically the Tarrasch. However if memory serves, they do cover many possibilities where black plays an unusually early c5 in their Catalan structure.

I look forward to seeing what you write up.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy February 5th 2010, 5:13 pm

Blue Devil Knight wrote:Well, they have many transpositional possibilities covered in the course. OTOH, as white you don't play 3Nc3, which I think is technically the Tarrasch. However if memory serves, they do cover many possibilities where black plays an unusually early c5 in their Catalan structure.

I look forward to seeing what you write up.

BDK You are absolutely right one of the lines of Catalan described is the c5 line so no need for the Tarrasch. Also the order of play is 3 g3 not Nc3 so you would never have to face it.
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Chemwong May 5th 2012, 10:21 pm

I changed my d4 defense to Tarrasch Defense, after having poor results in Semi-Slav and Dutch... Bad by test for me over a year.

I got the GMR (Grandmaster Repertoire) for Tarrasch and learned a lot from it. Very well commented, instructive, organized. The author(s) had shown great enthusiasm in teaching his "successors" by well chosen lines and included critical amount of material so quality learning could be feasible.

If you play Tarrasch Defense, grab one copy of this book!

Chemwong
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian May 6th 2012, 9:10 am

Playing on the ICCF I've actually had some success with ICS repertoire.

My strategy as black as been to use the Dutch against non-masters and the Semi-Slav against master rated players. In the past year I have three draws against 2200-2400 rated players with the Semi, and two wins and a draw with the Dutch (the draw against a player now with a master rating).

Now as I prepare for the OTB season I am working on my calculation skills and feel I have a pretty good idea of opening ideas...

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Chemwong May 9th 2012, 4:59 am

I think the semi-slav , moscow, meran are really for master+
Too complicated even when I am saying the side variation.

I spot my weakness when playing D47 Meran: Playing the position resulting from c/e break badly for BOTH white and black. Most guys break correctly but I cannot do good follow up so I give it up after 6 months+, though my result is better than playing Dutch.

Seems Tarrasch works well with me.

Chemwong
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian May 9th 2012, 7:38 am

I haven't looked at the Tarrasch book. Do they have good coverage of the 5.g3 variation in the ICS White Repertoire?

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Chemwong May 9th 2012, 8:49 am

Actually the non-g3 lines are minor parts of the book Smile
Both Bg5 and dxc5 line (10~16 move deviation) are the g3!
Also, pseudo tarrasch (Nf3 first or even not play Nc3 later) was covered.
Great life saver even for 4dev,5dev,6dev,...

Against our Nf3.....than 9.Qc2!?, ("We present one more line against Tarrasch Defense") I still haven't look at it but I believe their is coverage for black. Very instructive solution and middlegames for sidelines.

Chemwong
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum