International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Consistency with Opening Theory

+2
Blue Devil Knight
hoopy
6 posters

Go down

Consistency with Opening Theory Empty Consistency with Opening Theory

Post by hoopy November 29th 2009, 2:16 pm

Just received Month 8 today & wow.
Strategies on Caro-Kaan, Loads on Kings indians, Loads on French advance. Queens Gambit exchange and minority attack.
Only one downside.
None of these openings are included in the opening repertoire!!

To be fair they do give interesting insights into the openings and I for one do not stick to their choice of opening. But it does seem like the material is a little inconsistent this month.
Mmmmm?!
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Consistency with Opening Theory Empty Re: Consistency with Opening Theory

Post by Blue Devil Knight November 29th 2009, 6:00 pm

Cool, 'cuz I play the Caro Smile
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by zmaster November 29th 2009, 6:38 pm

It is great to hear from someone with experience on this course. I am starting my first month of main course + openings. I also will play the openings that they suggest.

zmaster
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

http://www.zebfortman.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy November 30th 2009, 3:53 pm

zmaster wrote:It is great to hear from someone with experience on this course. I am starting my first month of main course + openings. I also will play the openings that they suggest.

That was my intention too. If truth be told there is just so much that if you study it properly you struggle to find time with the openings, A number of us have taken the same approach. Do the openings after completion of the course.
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy November 30th 2009, 3:55 pm

hoopy wrote:Just received Month 8 today & wow.
Strategies on Caro-Kaan, Loads on Kings indians, Loads on French advance. Queens Gambit exchange and minority attack.
Only one downside.
None of these openings are included in the opening repertoire!!

To be fair they do give interesting insights into the openings and I for one do not stick to their choice of opening. But it does seem like the material is a little inconsistent this month.
Mmmmm?!

& did I forget Benoni's!!
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Tweety October 29th 2010, 7:57 am

To me, this is the best month so far. It doesn't matter if the openings don't match yours or the openings course, it is the understanding of the positions which is important. An example of this, happened this weekend in the board next to mine, the game started by 1. d4 - d5 2. c4 - Nf6 3. Nf3 (cd5 is better) and after some moves the position was very similar to one from Grundfeld opening. Neither of two players knew how to play it because they don't play Grundfeld. With this example I want to say that the opening is not as important as the position itself and what I got from this month is how to handle this kind of positions. Very good month.
Tweety
Tweety
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian March 18th 2011, 1:13 pm

I have to agree, I've greatly enjoyed months 7&8.

The positions they discuss are all main lines, plenty of games in the databases, but they do sidestep these variations in their repertoire. But then so does Avrukh.

On a positive note even though the positions from month 7&8 are classic, dating back to before 1930, the positions still show up in practice up the last couple of months. It may be worth putting the lines into our own repretoire, I know I would feel comfortable playing either side of the positions with what I learned....

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen March 20th 2011, 6:20 pm

I actually got a really interesting value of their sneaky teaching of opening positions. I ended up in a King's Indian position and I actually remembered the study in the ICS course on this particular position and even something about what I could be doing! Amazed. That is the first time any serious study on opening has actually had an effect on my game!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down