International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suitable for beginners?

4 posters

Go down

Suitable for beginners? Empty Suitable for beginners?

Post by shumar October 14th 2009, 3:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a kind of total newbie in chess -- played only a few tens of games in a lifetime. Would ICS be useful at this level? I've been looking for exact same systematic approach to learning, but it looks like ICS is mostly targeted to decent players. Does it make sense to supplement ICS with a book or two, learn at lower pace, etc? Or may be there are similar tutorials for beginners?

Thanks for any advice.

upd: Oh, and one more question -- is it worthwhile to just study the first month since as I understand it establishes right thinking approach?

shumar
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Suitable for beginners? Empty Re: Suitable for beginners?

Post by DeepFreeze October 15th 2009, 11:08 am

It all depends on your commitment to the game. I would say start with doing tons of tactics puzzles until u are able to really see tactics in your games good because without that you will lose even if you had all the knowledge in ICS. If you are more dedicated you can study ics while also doing tactics puzzles every day. I would recommend Chesstempo.com for tactics. dont do any blitz.

DeepFreeze
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight October 15th 2009, 12:26 pm

It would be a major mistake for beginners to do this course. As Deepfreeze said tactics is more important in early stages. Even more important is playing a lot.

For beginners, I wrote up a detailed training plan with a heavy focus on playing rather than studying, and tactics over strategy:
http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com/2008/05/advice-for-chess-beginners.html
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy October 20th 2009, 10:08 am

I tend to support thisview.

More importantly than any strategical reasons is the simple one that the game is primarily fun!! Learning the subtleties comes later. If you want to learn and have fun & we all have our favourite ways

My personal favourite is
Winning Chess Tactics for Juniors - Hays . It has an ugly cover and basically is a tactics puzzle book. Although it says children probably aimed at 1700 ELO.
I also know 2200 players who use it before each game as a pre-match warm up routine. Not too expensive I believe in US about $13.
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum