International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Application of chess theory in your own games

+2
HangingKing
fanat
6 posters

Go down

Application of chess theory in your own games Empty Application of chess theory in your own games

Post by fanat September 14th 2009, 12:24 pm

I came back to this topic with the same thoughts as everybody else. After a while I've came to realization that here is too much material in each month to complete in 1 month! I am up to month 7 and I'm not even finished with Month 6 yet.

Actually, I've also came to another even more important realization. I remember as BDK mentioned on this forum previously it's one thing to know a lot of chess theory and it's another thing to apply it in your games!

I'm doing well in learning some of the advanced concepts here but am I applying any of it in my games. After looking at my games, turns out I'm applying very little!

So, what I'm going to do now is to go back to Month 1 and review all the material slowly so it will really sink in!

For example, I’ve been going over the material on Month 5 and 6 – pawn play pretty slow and that material sank in pretty well. Well, to the point that I’m able to answer most of the questions, correctly! But when I’ve looked at all the material Month 2 through 4 – I don’t remember most of it!

Again, there is a lot of material for each months especially when we have to take time to study tactics and endgame not to mention openings.

I’ve been studying tactics every or almost every day and I already noticed lots of improvement. Also, I am studying endings on consistent basis, again slowly so that material is sinking in.

So, I’ve decided to stop in the middle of Month 6 to go back and review all the prior material and try to apply it in my own games!

What does everybody think about learning all the new material and applying it in your own games? Did anybody go back to the beginning?
fanat
fanat
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Application of chess theory in your own games Empty Re: Application of chess theory in your own games

Post by HangingKing September 14th 2009, 7:16 pm

Yes, i'm reading pdf i have already read on previous months from time to time, not all but some, because somehow i didn't pay attention to some detail at the time i read it.

But generally i go straight on the courses of one month in 2 or 3 reading sessions (mainly because i fail to do it 30 min every day, so i read the whole part when i have time to dedicate to chess).

Don't worry, it seems most of us have difficulties to follow the rythm, but it's good that the material push us. If it were too easy we would all complain about wasting money.

Personally, i prefer that the courses are hard, if i spend 45 days to study a 1 month course, so what ? Remeber we are not chess professionals and have a life with plenty of other things to do.

I have also difficulties to "apply" the knowledge, mainly because the perfect situations in the course doesn't appear every time on the board.

For example 2 months ago, while doing tactical exercises with a software (total chess training from Convetka) i reviewed an interesting mate with knight+pawn+rook on the edge of the board.
And convicted myself to try it somehow in my games.
Believe it or not, i was today only that the situation occurs on the board, and i used this trick.

I suspect it is the same for ICS material, you learn many new things, but the situations where you can apply exactly what you learned are not so frequent (unless you play lot of games in short period).
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Application of chess theory in your own games Empty Re: Application of chess theory in your own games

Post by chesstiger September 15th 2009, 12:42 am

I started again with month one but more because of a 3 month chess break then of not applying it in my games. However, just like you i must admit that i forgot most of it so its a welcome extra review.
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by karpyan September 17th 2009, 5:19 pm

It's not a big deal... There is a huge amount of material crammed into a very short space of time. In playing games at the moment, my main focus is the consequences of my opponent's moves. Even then, I'm getting into time trouble. I also need to think about... the consequences of my own moves! And on top of that, think about a to-do list.

This is why the thought process is so crucial. It's going to take time, and probably one step at a time. After a while, CQS of the opponent's moves will become automatic. Then CQS of one's own moves. Only after that, does one have time to even think about a to-do list! But the most important, is the CQS of the opponent's moves. That's why most amateurs lose - they don't see the potential checks, captures, threats. Only through time will it become ingrained and almost intuitive.

Knowledge doesn't count for much in chess without practical experience and a well developed thought process.

karpyan
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight September 19th 2009, 12:09 pm

I hate to admit it, but I'm done studying for a while. The World Open burned me out. Right now I'm just playing when I want, not studying openings, tactics, not studying ANY THING. It's a nice break.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chess? September 19th 2009, 12:35 pm

Blue Devil Knight wrote:I hate to admit it, but I'm done studying for a while. The World Open burned me out. Right now I'm just playing when I want, not studying openings, tactics, not studying ANY THING. It's a nice break.

bdk, good for you. a break is healthy. I will be MIA for the next month. We have purchased a new home and will be taking on the task of moving Razz Cheers to all!
Chess?
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down