International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learn From Capa

+2
fanat
hoopy
6 posters

Go down

Learn From Capa Empty Learn From Capa

Post by hoopy June 13th 2009, 10:46 am

Does anyone know if there is any more of this in future months? When I used to play chess, other than my useless memorising of openings, playing through Capa's games was my next means of trying to learn. There is no natural follow up to this in Month2 which make it kind of stick out like a "filler" part of the course in Month 1. I do hope there is more...or alternatively followed up with Alekhine, Botvinnik, Spassky, Karpov then Kasparov.( Or something similar). Please tell me that there is more of this?
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Learn From Capa Empty Re: Learn From Capa

Post by fanat June 13th 2009, 12:41 pm

I'm in month 4 and so far haven't seen any Capablanca's games. Sad
fanat
fanat
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy June 13th 2009, 5:43 pm

Thanks Fanat. I'm a wee bit dissapointed then. I don't see why the Capa games were included in month 1 then?
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight June 13th 2009, 10:39 pm

I think they help make general points about to do lists, consequences and such. In other words vehicles for the points about thought process. Too bad, though, it would be nice to have more.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chess? June 14th 2009, 3:11 am

ICS hasn't finished month 13 as of today. But looking at 4 to 13 I don't see any of Capa's work.
Chess?
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo June 14th 2009, 11:20 am

In the course advert ICS states one of its aims is to make us aquainted with the world champions so I assumed a regular feature would be a little snippet of games for some of the major world champions in history.

I wasn't expecting more Capablanca but I figured we'd have 'Games of' collections throughout the course, and might see 3 games of Bobby Fisher here, three games from Botvinnik there etc.

As it's primarily a strategic/positional course I figured guys like Capablanca, Fisher, Botvinnik, Karpov, Steinitz etc would be preferred over the more complicated tactical genuises like Tal, Alekhine, Kasparov etc.

I've got the first 3 months though and only Capablanca so far........

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by MNFats June 25th 2009, 11:20 pm

Blue Devil Knight wrote:I think they help make general points about to do lists, consequences and such. In other words vehicles for the points about thought process. Too bad, though, it would be nice to have more.

I agree.

I think that the use of these games was to give us a glimpse of the thought process. To help us to get a good idea of what these crazy Romanians are talking about and how they intend for us to think.
MNFats
MNFats
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo September 23rd 2010, 10:29 am

It definitely seems like we will finally get this in Year 2. It seems like they promised a lot in Year 1, and intended to deliver it, but when writing the course they realised they couldn't fit it all into a single year course and so chose to put certain themes into the following year.

For instance for those of us who signed up to the openings course early we though we were studying the Najdorf and Nimzo Indian, in fact I even got a reportoire for the Najdorf and saved it, before they deleted it and replaced with something else!

Well in year two their first 4 months of annotated games are all Nimzo and Najdorf which is obviously no cooincidence. They must have been working on that material for the openings module and then changed plans and diverted that to year two.

But definitely years 2 and 3 are focusing on annotated games of the world champions primarily. In Month 1 of Year 2, of the 12 games, 10 are bonafida world champs, the other 2 are Nimzowtich, one of the most important chess thinkers ever, and Khalifman, who was also a world champ, at least according to Fide!

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down