International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The centre & all those games

+5
Bernardonff
fanat
Blue Devil Knight
Chess?
hoopy
9 posters

Go down

The centre & all those games Empty The centre & all those games

Post by hoopy June 7th 2009, 7:05 pm

I have gone through all of these games at least twice. I don't feel I have learned anything yet. Anyone had a different experience & can give me advice. Maybe I need to go through them really slowly & annotate in detail. If this is the case then the recommended 10 hours per week would look ridiculous. This contrasts massively with the king safety module which, although much of it could be worked out over-the-board, was well written, comprehensive and easily learned - in short fantastic stuff.

How have others used the games?
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

The centre & all those games Empty Re: The centre & all those games

Post by Chess? June 7th 2009, 10:58 pm

Hoopy,
» Annotated game 01
» Annotated game 02
» Annotated game 03
» Annotated game 04
» Annotated game 05
» Annotated game 06
» Annotated game 07
» Annotated game 08
Are you talking about all the annotated games? I did the game with the dpf in hand and a board in front of me. I made note as I went. In the end I reviewed my notes and if I had any question I used rybka to help. In the end I had a good understanding of what the theam was. It was a crap lode of work, but I did enjoy it in my twisted little way.
Chess?
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight June 7th 2009, 11:32 pm

Someone could start a thread sharing your notes on the games. I ordered the Marovic book to help me ('dynamic pawn play in chess.'). Perhaps I will, but I am still on the king attack bits.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fanat June 8th 2009, 10:21 am

I also thought the games regarding the centre were poor. Just like Hoopy I feel that I really didn't learn much.

I wish they would of had couple to several of well annotated games for each center type instead of just a dump of non-annotated games.

Marovic's "Dynamic pawn play in chess" is definitely on my reading list. I just don't know when I will get to it! Sad

Marovic has couple of other books which have excellent reviews so sounds like they are worth getting also.
fanat
fanat
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy June 8th 2009, 12:57 pm

Sorry "Chess?" Not the annotated games, they were on "The king safety". It was the others on the structures of "the centre" and show how masters dealt with each type of centre.It is the one's referred to below. The ones you refer to were excellent.

Quote:
The idea is to let the student to go quicker through the games and be able to observe easier similarities and differences between the plans of play specific to the 5 types of centre.

Closed Centre - description/theory and illustrative games
PDF version (browser version, ChessBase version)

Mobile Centre - description/theory and illustrative games

Open Centre - description/theory and illustrative games

Static Centre - description/theory and illustrative games

Dynamic Centre - description/theory and illustrative games

Last edited by hoopy on June 8th 2009, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cut &paste error)
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight June 8th 2009, 1:03 pm

I understood what you meant hoopy. We should compile a list of principles for each type of center. A definition of what it means (e.g., what is a 'mobile' center), and principles of play.

The point of this forum is to compensate for/fill in some of the weaknesses in the course itself.

i will probably not get to that material for a week or two, but when I do I'll start something of someone else doesn't.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy June 8th 2009, 1:16 pm

Thanks Fanat, glad it was not just me. On one hand to recommend against kings indian defence and then to leave us a whole pile of KIDs without analysis disappointed a wee bit.

BDK I agree, & will attempt to do as you suggest. Going on hols in 2 weeks time so hopefully I will have done it by then
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernardonff July 21st 2009, 10:23 pm

Has anyone figured out how to learn all of this? I've studyed for two days in a row about the mobile center, but I still think that I dont know what to do over the board.

Bernardonff
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight July 21st 2009, 10:26 pm

I'm still on king safety and probably will be for a while. I need to improve my attacking play!
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo July 22nd 2009, 12:22 am

Bernadoff I think this centre stuff is more something you should keep and let your knowledge grow in time.

You can't expected to understand it all straight away but over the course of months and years it will prove of value.

The correct way to use it I feel is to compare play from these games with your own games, so for example in your next serious game you can look at this database of centre games and compare how you played with the way the masters played in similar positions.

Use it as a useful point of reference to dip into and compare your games rather than try and work them all in one go.

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo July 22nd 2009, 12:25 am

Also it will be of great use when you start using it as an analysis tool. You may even find when studying other games (even the other ICS properly annotated games) that you can determine what type of pawn structure is present and add them to your appropriate database of pawn centre games.

I have to be honest thus far I have never considered the pawn structure in any of my games, I mean if you asked me to show you all the games I have played with a mobile pawn centre I wouldn't have a clue, but hopefully after studying these databases of games I'll have more of an idea.

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing July 22nd 2009, 7:42 am

In fact i must admit that i found it difficult to learn quickly something about the center games at that moment. But the more i study "lead in developpement" of month 03 and things like that, it then comes very useful to have seen these before because some patterns are already recognized.

Somehow some lessons are not (or seems not) useful at a given moment, but they reveal to be a good introduction. Then as we advance in the course, and been teached some new concepts, we are at some point in already known area and do not have to compulse all the new ideas at the same time.

Finally the month cursus please me, i have time to mature some of the concept without even noticing it, only because the time plays !
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernardonff July 22nd 2009, 9:23 am

Thanks for all the answers!

Bernardonff
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by AoxomoxoA July 29th 2009, 3:45 am

Bernardonff wrote:Has anyone figured out how to learn all of this? I've studyed for two days in a row about the mobile center, but I still think that I dont know what to do over the board.
As far as i see these examples are not to explain how to handle these types of center. It is meant to enable to recognise these patterns of centers and see: there are differences. Thats just a first step, maybe there will come more about centers later. First you learn the words, later how to make poems

AoxomoxoA
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Valmont January 1st 2021, 7:22 pm

hoopy wrote:.

On one hand to recommend against kings indian defence and then to leave us a whole pile of KIDs without analysis disappointed a wee bit.

I may have missed it. Busy with Month 2. Where do they recommend against the KID? And what do they recommend instead? It's my day 3 in month 2. Cheers!

Edit: oh, it was noted as a side remark in the lesson "USING THE ROOKS IN THE ATTACK".
Valmont
Valmont
Club Player
Club Player

Phythalion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down