International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Position in Tactics-Defense game 1

3 posters

Go down

Position in Tactics-Defense game 1 Empty Position in Tactics-Defense game 1

Post by MSiipola March 29th 2021, 5:04 am

In game Ceteras Marius - Rodriguez, after blacks move 9 the position is:

Position in Tactics-Defense game 1 Skzirm17

Then is a quiz: Guess White’s next move

I looked at this for a long time and it seems white was going to loose at least a pawn. And the black is threatening Nxd5, so the best I could see was eliminating the Knight with Bxc6. White is loosing the bishop, but what else to do?

But when I looked at the answer, I got a surprise. It's is 10.Kd2

This move is not in the opening database and Stockfish thinks it's blunder.
Evaluation goes from zero to -6! and white is loosing with best play.

The move comment is:
The  diagram  is  meant  to  convince  you  that  it  is  not  a  typing  mistake.    Of  course  I  have  never  thought  I  could  make such a move.  My intention was to castle, but after I had  touched  the  king,  I  noticed  two  things  that  couldn’t  produce me a great happiness: the queen controls the f1-square,  so  the  castle  is  not  allowed  and,  second,  the  satisfied smile on my opponent’s face. At   the   first   moment   I   didn’t   realized   the   dramatic   situation,  having  the  impression  that  I  have  no  available  moves for the king.  When I saw the d2-square, I felt that my seat was trying to run away and my first impulse was  to  shake  my  opponent’s  hand  and  to  resign.    Fortunately,  this  thought  was  a  matter  of  moment,  and I realized I had nothing more to lose.

Maybe I'm unfair. The exercise is about defending bad positions and this is a good example of that kind. And not about finding the best move. (Which probably is Bxc6).

MSiipola
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Position in Tactics-Defense game 1 Empty Re: Position in Tactics-Defense game 1

Post by PawnCustodian March 29th 2021, 2:04 pm

True. The question is unfair. Nevertheless, the example is much more insightful with 20-20 hindsight.

Perhaps the most enlightening thing with the new AI engines is they don't alway choose the "best" moves, but tend to the moves that present the most problems for their opponent. When I hear the elite player commentaries it is not unusual to hear them parrot the same reasons for move choices. The remarkable thing to me is that this game commentary predates Alpha0 and the other AI engines by more than a decade.

I don't have access to Alpha0 or Leela, but it would be interesting to see how they would evaluate the defenses after 10.Kd2.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Position in Tactics-Defense game 1 Empty Re: Position in Tactics-Defense game 1

Post by BorgQueen April 9th 2021, 1:08 am

Goddam touch move! lol
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down