International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ICS-05-rooks.pdf] file opening example - help requested

4 posters

Go down

[ICS-05-rooks.pdf] file opening example - help requested Empty [ICS-05-rooks.pdf] file opening example - help requested

Post by Valmont February 15th 2021, 4:17 pm

[ICS-05-rooks.pdf] file opening example - help requested Screen10

Going by the image above, how does white open the g-file? If white plays g4-g5 then ...h4-h5. And the g-file remains closed. Can anyone demonstrate what the author could have envisioned after this? Didn't the author simply mean that h2-h4-h5 has to be played immediately, as opposed to "eventually"? But black has also ..f6.
If anyone could work this one out for me that would be great.
Valmont
Valmont
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

[ICS-05-rooks.pdf] file opening example - help requested Empty Re: [ICS-05-rooks.pdf] file opening example - help requested

Post by PawnCustodian February 15th 2021, 6:37 pm

The typo confuses.

think = thing. White must prevent the advance of the black h-pawn.

It helps to be familiar with  the standard endgame techniques of creating a passer when confronted with opposing pawn phalanx e.g. black pawns at f6,g6,h6 vs white pawns at f4,g4,h4. Essentially you blockade then exchange.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

[ICS-05-rooks.pdf] file opening example - help requested Empty Re: [ICS-05-rooks.pdf] file opening example - help requested

Post by Valmont February 15th 2021, 6:39 pm

It didn't mention a passer, only to open the g-file.
Valmont
Valmont
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by MSiipola February 16th 2021, 2:44 am

I was also confused by this example.

I'm not sure if the example text is incorrect or I don't understand it.

MSiipola
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian February 16th 2021, 8:26 am

I guess I did add to the confusion with the endgame reference.

The position is an educative example, not a puzzle, meant to describe the procedure to create an open file. In the given position black can repair the pawn structure in two moves. With white to move he can create a phalanx in two moves reaching the endgame position I mentioned with white to move. From that position the file can be opened using the standard techniques to create a passer.

I agree, the example is not clear and probably should be reserved for an in-person discussion.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by RadDogFriday February 16th 2021, 4:48 pm

I think he also means that by playing h2-h4-h5, this prevents Black from responding with h5 when White plays g5 to open the g-file. At least that is how I read it.

The point is to get you to think about what pawn moves your opponent can make when you attempt to open a file. In this case, h6-h5 by black will stop the g-file from opening up after a White g5; therefore, push your h-pawn up to block his h-pawn from advancing.

Last edited by RadDogFriday on February 16th 2021, 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
RadDogFriday
RadDogFriday
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Valmont February 16th 2021, 4:51 pm

Yes, h2-h4-h5, but I still don't see how the g-file is guaranteed opened. Black has f6.
Valmont
Valmont
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by MSiipola February 16th 2021, 5:08 pm

Maybe someone could ask ICS support?

MSiipola
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by RadDogFriday February 16th 2021, 5:25 pm

Valmont wrote:Yes, h2-h4-h5, but I still don't see how the g-file is guaranteed opened. Black has f6.

That does not prevent the opening of the g-file.

With Black pawns on f6-g7-h6, White only needs to push g5 supported by his h4-pawn and either exchange twice on g5 to open the file. If Black decides to not exchange, white will simply exchange himself on f6 or h6, depending which pawn is still there. Also note that with White on the attack, it is common to give up material to open lines against the enemy king, and sacking a pawn is not such a big deal, so f6 does not really "stop" anything.

RadDogFriday
RadDogFriday
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Valmont February 16th 2021, 5:54 pm

You might be entirely right, but I don't see it. I played it out on a board. Let's say white to move, plays h4, black f6. What would be the sequence to guarantee to open the g-file? (it's also OK if black loses guaranteed a pawn. Can't exclude tactics.)
Valmont
Valmont
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian February 16th 2021, 6:21 pm

Valmont wrote:Yes, h2-h4-h5, but I still don't see how the g-file is guaranteed opened. Black has f6.

1.h4 f6, 2.g5 hg, 3.f4 g6, 4.f5 gf, 5.hg fg, 6.Rg5

It gets a little tricky, but as stated the adjacent file needs to be blocked to open the file. In my try black is blocking the adjacent square.

Last edited by PawnCustodian on February 16th 2021, 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Valmont likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSiipola February 17th 2021, 2:35 am

I have now sent a question to ICS about this. Hopefully I will get an answer soon.

MSiipola
Club Player
Club Player

Valmont likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSiipola February 17th 2021, 5:20 am

I got following answer:

The explanation is in the second paragraph. White will play first h2-h4-h5 and, then, g4-g5.
Best Regards,
Raul Neagos - web administrator

MSiipola
Club Player
Club Player

Valmont likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Valmont February 17th 2021, 10:18 am

Lazy answer. That's why I stopped asking them questions. But thanks bro! Maybe I'll ask for details on Chess.com but first I'll analyze PawnCustodian's solution. I haven't had the time yet.
Valmont
Valmont
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian February 17th 2021, 12:43 pm

RadDogFriday wrote:

With Black pawns on f6-g7-h6, White only needs to push g5 supported by his h4-pawn and either exchange twice on g5 to open the file.

Yes, but must be careful not to leave a white pawn on the g-file. 1.g5 hg, 2hg f5 and the opportunity to open the g-file is lost.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Valmont February 17th 2021, 5:26 pm

PawnCustodian wrote:

After 3.f4 no need for 3...g6. Instead, 3...gh leaves black with a pawn extra!

Just to make sure, so we keep the big picture in sight, it's not about whether it's guaranteed to open the g-file thanks to whites rook. The real point that I'm making is that the problem is not trivial at all. And in that regard, the author should have demonstrated the power of rooks in opening files with one or more full examples. Not just dumping a statement. Even the answer to a fellow student - MSiipola - was lazy.
Valmont
Valmont
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian February 17th 2021, 6:35 pm

Valmont wrote:
PawnCustodian wrote:

After 3.f4 no need for 3...g6. Instead, 3...gh leaves black with a pawn extra!

Just to make sure, so we keep the big picture in sight, it's not about whether it's guaranteed to open the g-file thanks to whites rook. The real point that I'm making is that the problem is not trivial at all. And in that regard, the author should have demonstrated the power of rooks in opening files with one or more full examples. Not just dumping a statement. Even the answer to a fellow student - MSiipola - was lazy.

Well... the objective of the lesson is to open a file, not reach a winning position, and the technique that they are teaching works so I'll cut them some slack there.  But not for the dismissal of the question, that is inexcusable.

You are absolutely correct that the problem is not trivial. Out of curiosity I searched the position on Chess Base and found a lot of games with the exact position across a variety of openings. But the position shows up in openings and only with a lot of pieces on the board that hinder opening of the g-file - none of the games I found even made the attempt. Nevertheless, having spent some extra time on this fictional position I feel that I will have a better understanding of those opening formations should I encounter them is the future.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by MSiipola February 18th 2021, 3:15 am

Because of my low understanding of chess, I tried to check the position with an engine. But such position must be valid, which means black must have other pieces/pawns also. If not, the position is a trivial win for white. So what other pieces do you add for black? Anything worth less then a rook is probably a win for white. We don't know in what context the position is.

If black defend by f7-f6, it creates an other weakness, which in a practical game can be loosing, depending on other pieces.

I choose to see this as just an example of a principle. But as always, it's the concrete position which rule.

MSiipola
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian February 18th 2021, 9:29 am

Best to just leave it as an educative example and work out methods to open the g-file OTB. The variations are short and the aha factor is worth the effort.

Engines won't work here. Neither will games from databases, at least the ones I looked at.

The closest tool I know of to research endgame technique is Freezer. http://www.freezerchess.com/index.php?topic=home but even this tool can't tackle the type of example. As inferred in the name Freezer allows one to set up endgame positions and "freeze" pieces to try various solutions. I don't recommend it unless you are a super geek, have an archaic computer, and are willing to pay the exorbitant price.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down