International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Covid and Chess - how are you playing it?

2 posters

Go down

Covid and Chess - how are you playing it? Empty Covid and Chess - how are you playing it?

Post by Hoskins August 25th 2020, 7:06 pm

For me, OTB chess ceased around the middle of March and I really don't expect to be playing OTB again in tourneys and such until September 2121, though fingers crossed them vaccine-makers get something approved and out sooner than that.

I am missing meat-space chess and all the social stuff that comes with it greatly, but have filled the void with online games via my Square Off set, continued study and continued boozing.

Hows about you? Any ideas as to when OTB chess might return, or are things heading that way already in your neck of the woods? And what have you been doing to fill the void in the meantime: online chess? Study? Or kicked chess to the curb and taken up solitaire or some other pastime instead?
Hoskins
Hoskins
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Covid and Chess - how are you playing it? Empty Re: Covid and Chess - how are you playing it?

Post by ChessAdmin August 29th 2020, 7:06 am

I've been doing once a week "slow chess" online games (45 45 time control) at chess.com with a training partner around my general strength level (1800 Elo). I think playing regularly - I don't mean blitz in my case - is a necessary part of the improvement process, not to mention enjoyable.

Also have had a weekly chess night with a neighbor of mine for the past couple months, which is a good excuse for ordering beer and pizza in, when you can't really go out. The games are more casual, in part due to the libations, but he's still good enough for me to have to think seriously and not take things for granted. Unfortunately he'll be moving away soon. I suppose I should start looking for a second online training partner. I don't expect to do any OTB tournaments for another year or so, given how things are looking.
ChessAdmin
ChessAdmin
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

https://www.pathtochessmastery.com/

Back to top Go down

Covid and Chess - how are you playing it? Empty Re: Covid and Chess - how are you playing it?

Post by Hoskins August 29th 2020, 12:08 pm

Looking for a training partner, eh? I could be your man as I also play longplay on chess.com and am around, though under, 1800. Currently taking a break from longplay in September, but looking to get back into it in October, so if you are interested, perhaps we could give it a go in then?
Hoskins
Hoskins
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by ChessAdmin August 30th 2020, 4:56 am

Sure, PM me or post in October if you're interested then.

My Chess.com rapid rating is a bit over 1500 - I play most of the weekly training games there non-rated - and my FIDE rating is a bit over 1800; I don't worry excessively about the numbers in any case.
ChessAdmin
ChessAdmin
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

https://www.pathtochessmastery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoskins August 30th 2020, 3:59 pm

Nice one and will do, CA.
Hoskins
Hoskins
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down