International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from me, a new student, in July 2020

5 posters

Go down

Hello from me, a new student, in July 2020 Empty Hello from me, a new student, in July 2020

Post by Hoskins July 22nd 2020, 5:58 pm

Alright folks,

I purchased the ICS core course plus openings in June 2020 and, after a lot of printing and folder-employment and the like, started it around the beginning of this month [July]. Have just finished the first month and had a look see for a forum for fellow users and extra info and found this useful message board. From the looks of it, the forum might be somewhat inactive, but perhaps some lurkers, occasional users or newbies like myself might come and say hullo - or at least see a new post and get to posting themselves.

With regards to the ICS course, I'm enjoying what I have done so far and feel like I am learning some proper chess in a nicely structured way, though the English can be a little difficult at times and I am still not applying it [the chess method, not the dodgy English] as religiously as I need to in my games (longplay online) currently, but it feels like the way the course is done that it is a gradual thing that becomes second nature after a while (with a bit of conscious effort too, of course).

As a marker for any potential progress and to sate your curiosity, my age is around 40 and I took up chess again in 2017 after not playing since I was 11 and my ratings are as follows:

OTB ECF: 131 Longplay 139 Rapidplay
ONLINES: 1750 rapid chess.com (though I play longplay there)

For anyone interested, my study regime is as follows - though I fancy I will be more flexible when an ICS month demands more time or the damnable real life gets in the way - and yes, I have no life even when not being Corona-virused into having more spare time than usual.

ICS:

90-120mins per day
(plan is to complete each month in three weeks and then review all information in the fourth week whilst making notes for future easy review)

ICS recommended extracurricular:

15 mins endgames - Silman's Endgames
60 mins tactics - Encyclopedia of Chess Combinations
30 mins openings - in a bit of limbo here as just stopped an intensive opening routine and don't know whether to switch to the ICS one, or just be happy with what I already know.
(all the above books will be shifted to new ones on completion)

*Note: this is not quite the suggested ICS time-split, but I am giving more weight to tactics as setting them up OTB and writing answers down means I felt I was getting through less than in my previous online tactics usage.

Playing that Chess

I play about 4+ longishplay 45+45 or 60min games (chess.com via my Square Off set so as to be 3Dimensional with an OTB feel) a week. Have ditched 2D chess and shorter time controls, though I do occasionally play 10min blitz on Lichess when I iz drunk late at night, but don;t tell anyone about that. In non-Corona times, I was playing about 1 or 2 longplay games a week with a tourney of somesort - rapid/long about once a month.

Other chess learning

I have a chess coach at WIM level who I have had weekly lessons with since the start of this year.

And that is about it, having perused the membership here I see a couple of names I recognize from other corners of the chessiverse so if they, or anyone else who is new, not so new, or just lurking wants to come say hi and chat about ICS or anything chessy then feel free to do so.

Oh, my name is Harry, BTW - pleased to meet you and look forward to getting on with the course and seeing if it can do anything for my chess understanding and, of course, my rating. Smile
Hoskins
Hoskins
Club Player
Club Player

Malleuk and RadDogFriday like this post

Back to top Go down

Hello from me, a new student, in July 2020 Empty Re: Hello from me, a new student, in July 2020

Post by Phythalion October 15th 2020, 12:16 am

Cool, I thought no one visited anymore! Welcome!
Phythalion
Phythalion
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

RadDogFriday likes this post

Back to top Go down

Hello from me, a new student, in July 2020 Empty Re: Hello from me, a new student, in July 2020

Post by Hoskins October 16th 2020, 6:54 pm

Phythalion wrote:Cool, I thought no one visited anymore! Welcome!

Thanks! Glad to know there are folks still learning, too.
Hoskins
Hoskins
Club Player
Club Player

RadDogFriday likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Morpheus_chessplayer January 3rd 2021, 10:52 am

Hi Harry
Just thought Id say hi, assuming you still on here.
This is my second attempt at the core course and like the look of your study plan, however that is some time commitment, I'm still working full time so have to work to time constraints Sad
Is that still working for you or have there been additional tweaks
How far into the course are you now?
Morpheus_chessplayer
Morpheus_chessplayer
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Malleuk January 8th 2021, 7:40 pm

[quote= good luck to you please progress .... not for the faint of heart. Congratulations keep up the good work nice to meet you

I purchased the ICS core course plus openings in June 2020 and, after a lot of printing and folder-employment and the like, started it around the beginning of this month [July]. Have just finished the first month and had a look see for a forum for fellow users and extra info and found this useful message board. From the looks of it, the forum might be somewhat inactive, but perhaps some lurkers, occasional users or newbies like myself might come and say hullo - or at least see a new post and get to posting themselves.

With regards to the ICS course, I'm enjoying what I have done so far and feel like I am learning some proper chess in a nicely structured way, though the English can be a little difficult at times and I am still not applying it [the chess method, not the dodgy English] as religiously as I need to in my games (longplay online) currently, but it feels like the way the course is done that it is a gradual thing that becomes second nature after a while (with a bit of conscious effort too, of course).

As a marker for any potential progress and to sate your curiosity, my age is around 40 and I took up chess again in 2017 after not playing since I was 11 and my ratings are as follows:

OTB ECF: 131 Longplay 139 Rapidplay
ONLINES: 1750 rapid chess.com (though I play longplay there)

For anyone interested, my study regime is as follows - though I fancy I will be more flexible when an ICS month demands more time or the damnable real life gets in the way - and yes, I have no life even when not being Corona-virused into having more spare time than usual.

ICS:

90-120mins per day
(plan is to complete each month in three weeks and then review all information in the fourth week whilst making notes for future easy review)

ICS recommended extracurricular:

15 mins endgames - Silman's Endgames
60 mins tactics - Encyclopedia of Chess Combinations
30 mins openings - in a bit of limbo here as just stopped an intensive opening routine and don't know whether to switch to the ICS one, or just be happy with what I already know.
(all the above books will be shifted to new ones on completion)

*Note: this is not quite the suggested ICS time-split, but I am giving more weight to tactics as setting them up OTB and writing answers down means I felt I was getting through less than in my previous online tactics usage.

Playing that Chess

I play about 4+ longishplay 45+45 or 60min games (chess.com via my Square Off set so as to be 3Dimensional with an OTB feel) a week. Have ditched 2D chess and shorter time controls, though I do occasionally play 10min blitz on Lichess when I iz drunk late at night, but don;t tell anyone about that. In non-Corona times, I was playing about 1 or 2 longplay games a week with a tourney of somesort - rapid/long about once a month.

Other chess learning

I have a chess coach at WIM level who I have had weekly lessons with since the start of this year.

And that is about it, having perused the membership here I see a couple of names I recognize from other corners of the chessiverse so if they, or anyone else who is new, not so new, or just lurking wants to come say hi and chat about ICS or anything chessy then feel free to do so.

Oh, my name is Harry, BTW - pleased to meet you and look forward to getting on with the course and seeing if it can do anything for my chess understanding and, of course, my rating. Smile[/quote]

Malleuk
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by RadDogFriday January 9th 2021, 12:27 am

Be sure to read this document: How To Study Chess

from the writers of this course.

Based on this, your study time is divided up a little funny, but to each his own. It's worth a read, however. It might give you some ideas.

Good luck, and welcome.
RadDogFriday
RadDogFriday
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down