International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

using an real chess set in comparison with a computer screen one

+3
BorgQueen
mrhollywood95
chesstiger
7 posters

Go down

using an real chess set in comparison with a computer screen one Empty using an real chess set in comparison with a computer screen one

Post by chesstiger November 18th 2015, 10:51 am

I think I read in the introduction that one needs to use a real chess set instead of looking at the computer screen diagram. This because you play your games in real life also over the board and so you are working on your board visualization skills aswell. But aren't we all lazy and just look with a blank stare at our computer screen? Or are all of you so disciplined that you actually set up (use) a real board?

If you do use a real board then what kind? Is the size a real tournament board or just such little board that one takes with you when traveling?
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

using an real chess set in comparison with a computer screen one Empty Re: using an real chess set in comparison with a computer screen one

Post by mrhollywood95 November 18th 2015, 12:23 pm

I use tournament size pieces and board. Someone recently recommended that I have a second, smaller board to go through the annotations. I might try that to see if it helps.

mrhollywood95
Club Player
Club Player

http://tonyschessblog.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

using an real chess set in comparison with a computer screen one Empty Re: using an real chess set in comparison with a computer screen one

Post by BorgQueen November 18th 2015, 6:48 pm

I used a real tournament board and used a computer for annotations and variations. This is NOT recommended by ICS though.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by vidanovicd December 21st 2015, 5:14 pm

I use real board. Sometimes I put the game in PGN when I want to keep some notes for future.

vidanovicd
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by Morpheus_chessplayer January 3rd 2021, 10:58 am

I know we are advised to use a real board and pieces for our studies but what are peoples thoughts on using a computer if the screen is showing 3D board and pieces.
Is this ok or am I already missing something, {Day 1 of month1 just started}
Morpheus_chessplayer
Morpheus_chessplayer
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Valmont January 3rd 2021, 12:08 pm

Morpheus_chessplayer wrote:I know we are advised to use a real board and pieces for our studies but what are peoples thoughts on using a computer if the screen is showing 3D board and pieces.
Is this ok or am I already missing something, {Day 1 of month1 just started}
Using a real board only because I faced the consequences of opening preparation and tactics on a 2D board only. I didn't recognize the patterns on a real board at all. I am correcting this now. In other words I'm not going to risk using a 3D animated board and waste time again.
Valmont
Valmont
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Phythalion January 3rd 2021, 4:45 pm

ICS's recommendation to use an actual chess board is scientifically valid. If you want the most bang for your buck in learning a new skill it is best to use it in as close to an approximation of the skill being performed in real life as possible. However, if circumstances don't allow using your tournament chess set then you use what ever you can. If all I were going to do was play in online tournaments the rest of my life, a perfectly valid choice, then using only my computer or my tablet would be just fine. I do want to eventually return to face-to-face tournaments though. As it is, I've been reviewing the Capa games in month 1 on my tablet using the app "Chess Book Study" by Asim Pereira before I sleep at night but I prefer using a regular board and pieces. What I have been doing when I have time is set up board and pieces and use the computer to play over the variations/sidelines.
Phythalion
Phythalion
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Valmont January 3rd 2021, 5:36 pm

I avoid 2D like the plague these days, except when I quickly want to check upon a possible refutation on a move I think I found. Then I need the AI for that, therefore I needed to set up the position on the 2D board in Fritz.
But I deliberately shut down and close down the entire application when I'm done.
Valmont
Valmont
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Morpheus_chessplayer January 4th 2021, 1:38 pm

Phythalion wrote:If all I were going to do was play in online tournaments the rest of my life, a perfectly valid choice, then using only my computer or my tablet would be just fine. I do want to eventually return to face-to-face tournaments though.

Good advice from you both, thanks, I too would someday like to play OTB so I suppose the way to go is practice with a real chess set.
I will moth ball chessbase 3D board for know then and just concentrate my studies with a real board.
Morpheus_chessplayer
Morpheus_chessplayer
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Valmont January 4th 2021, 2:52 pm

Yeah, don't get tempted. OTB I saw a well known central piece setup as a blob I didn't know what to do with it and had a difficult fight during the game. Turning on my opening software with the 2D board (Chess Position Trainer Pro), I noticed it was a pattern I have practiced over and over again. Lesson I'll never forget.
Valmont
Valmont
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen January 7th 2021, 8:31 pm

Times have changed. Because of the damned Covid-19 pandemic, OTB chess is quite rare now and most players are online...

The idea of using a real board and pieces is to keep you acclimatised to analysing with them so that it's "normal" when you sit down at your next OTB tournament. If you always study and analyse on a computer then when you sit at your OTB tournament, things feel different and it's harder to play.

Now I'd argue that using both is preferable... so you are comfortable in either an online tournament or an OTB one.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down