International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QGA demolition

4 posters

Go down

QGA demolition Empty QGA demolition

Post by Tweety October 16th 2010, 8:00 am

Here it is a game I played on chess-mail. I think it will be interesting to those who play the queen gambit accepted with black.

As I mentioned Avrukh's book I plan to review them as the repertoire he covers is very close to the one ICS recommends.
Tweety
Tweety
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

QGA demolition Empty Re: QGA demolition

Post by HangingKing October 16th 2010, 1:53 pm

Interesting game since i play QGA quite a few as black.

Just go through the game and look at light squares bishop (Bc8) of black, you can notice it is out of the game. The manoeuver to put it on b7 takes too much time and when it is ready you already have set-up everything for kingside attack.
I did face this a lot in my games, so no matter what, i now force myself to play Bf5 ou Bg4 BEFORE playing e6.

Although QGA for black requests to put pressure on the center which he doesn't do here. 11.Na5 is premature, black should finish his dvp at this point, and again free the light bishop out, no matter how (b5, Bd7 or even e5 which brings some complexity in the game).

I also do not see the point of 14... Rc8, i would rather play Nd5 and force decision for you to exchange bishops or knights.
Edit: sorry not working, looses a piece... Former 13.Nc4 is better

I comment black a lot, because i don't see any noticable flow in your play, great job!
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing October 16th 2010, 10:13 pm

The move 7.Bb3 is not natural, hence it is very technical preventing a black pawn chain on a6-b5-c4.
I mean 7.Nc3 right away seems more logical, but it does not work as well.

Last edited by HangingKing on October 17th 2010, 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Tweety October 17th 2010, 6:19 am

Below I quote what Avruhk said on his book about 7.Bb3:

1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 3. e3 Nf6 4. Bxc4 e6 5. Nf3 c5 6. O-O a6 7. Bb3
It took decades before the top players understood all the subtleties of this move, and that led to it becoming the main line of the QGA. The point is that both 7.Nc3 and 7.Qe2 are well met with a quick 7...b5 and 8...Bb7, when White is imperfectly prepared fo r Black's active play on the queenside. After 7.Bb3 White is ready to play a quick a2-a4. We shall delay looking at 7...b5 until the next chapter. In this chapter we will study the three other main lines, A) 7...Nbd7, B) 7...Nc6 and C) 7...cxd4. Line B can easily transpose to line C, if Black takes on d4 on move 8. However, if he does not, then the line has independent importance.

Now I quote what he said about 11. ... Na5 and 13. ... - Nc4:

Well, I copy the whole chapter so you can have your own opinion on this variation. I hope you like it.

Tweety
Tweety
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing October 17th 2010, 9:15 am

Wow this is more complicated than i though.
One day promise, i will learn an opening :-)
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight October 17th 2010, 9:22 am

Beautiful game, really rich tactically. I also was confused about Bb3, thanks for explaining it great quote from Avruhk.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian October 17th 2010, 7:31 pm

Great attacking game! Thanks for sharing.

It's a little confusing, but 14....Nc4, 15.Qh4, h5! which is in the Avrukh notes by transposition brings the Knight back into play and seems better than the main line - at least Black should be able to draw off some of White's attacking pieces....

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum