Space

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Space

Post by PawnCustodian on August 20th 2010, 5:53 pm

I'm only into week three of the first month, and already the course has really opened my eyes!

Probably the bigest eye opener for me was the recurring theme of "space" both in the main course and the opening module for 1.d4.

Just prior to starting the course I read "Elements of Positional Evaluation by Dan Heisman where space was relegated to a psuedo element. And yet as I go over the material in the course, space is again and again as a fundamental driver for most of the positional decisions, particularly in the opening. Where Heisman's book had me looking at trees, I am now begining to see that there's a forest here!

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Space

Post by Blue Devil Knight on August 20th 2010, 9:24 pm

Cool! I think Heisman tries too hard to find a kind of "minimal" kernel of evaluation factors from which all others can be derived. While that may be useful for a computer, humans are better at dealing with those "derived" factors such as space, material (he calls material a pseudo factor!), etc..

Grandmaster
Grandmaster

View user profile http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen on August 23rd 2010, 8:18 am

Ah, space... the final frontier!

Space advantages are good, but only while there is sufficient material. I have often found a space advantage to turn into a disadvantage after material disappears... usually unexpectedly.

----
Blue Devil Knight wrote:The danger of studying positional chess at the expense of tactics is that you will spend a half hour thinking about where a Knight belongs, and then proceed to put it on a beautiful square where it is en prise. Smile
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chess? on August 23rd 2010, 12:27 pm

space is a must, i do prefer a open game. but if the opening doesn't allow it...start trading baby.
Chess?
National Master
National Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian on August 23rd 2010, 7:10 pm

Well, against all advice I tried to use 1.d4 this weekend in a fun tournament and got a very cramped game and lost due to space.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen on August 23rd 2010, 7:13 pm

I'm always reluctant to trade and should learn when it is a good thing to do. The only time I currently know that it is right to trade is when my opponent has more space.

----
Blue Devil Knight wrote:The danger of studying positional chess at the expense of tactics is that you will spend a half hour thinking about where a Knight belongs, and then proceed to put it on a beautiful square where it is en prise. Smile
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum