International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attack: Annotated Games

3 posters

Go down

Attack: Annotated Games Empty Attack: Annotated Games

Post by Blue Devil Knight June 6th 2009, 3:21 pm

I've worked through the first two annotated games on attacking the uncastled King. It is fantastic stuff. The second game, in particular, illustrated the ideas really well.

The principles of attack against the castled King can all be negated to yield the principles of defense when under attack:
1. Close files and diagonals, especially in the center.
2. Don't let him bring more attackers in and develop a quantitative local superiority of pieces (either trade, close highways, or some other way don't let him pile on).
3. Keep him from seizing the initiative and maintaining threats on every move.
4. Castle as soon as possible, or generally get the King to a safety zone on one of the wings.
5. Connect your rooks and get them into the play.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Attack: Annotated Games Empty Re: Attack: Annotated Games

Post by hoopy June 6th 2009, 3:34 pm

I agree it is impressive.

It looks so simple when these guys show us. The real difficulty is the calculations behind the sacrifices required to open the positions. As others have found out when they have have playing me. I either smash them or run out of material. Clearly there is a balance that I am sure comes with experience.

Although I was a little disappointed by the lack of commentary on games & the over use of paper rather than the intenrnet facilities, some of the content is fantastic & I find easy to assimilate.
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by cofresi June 8th 2009, 2:08 pm

Very nice work on the corollaries BDK.

My playing has changed a little, I've noticed. I'm taking a bit more time to consider what changes I leave on the board after my moves. And I'm also concentrating a lot more on getting pieces to where I need them -- the local superiority of forces. So I hold off on the attacking a little longer.

I haven't started the chapters on the center, yet.

cofresi
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down