International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

topic "which elo do you target in x months" disappear ?

+4
Bilbo
Blue Devil Knight
Chess?
HangingKing
8 posters

Go down

topic "which elo do you target in x months" disappear ? Empty topic "which elo do you target in x months" disappear ?

Post by HangingKing May 25th 2009, 4:22 pm

I do not find the topic anymore, am i alone ?
What happened to it.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

topic "which elo do you target in x months" disappear ? Empty Re: topic "which elo do you target in x months" disappear ?

Post by Chess? May 25th 2009, 11:39 pm

Your not alone. I put the topic in the wrong category and BDK was tring to move it. Axidently, he deleted it. so lets start a new one.
Chess?
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

topic "which elo do you target in x months" disappear ? Empty Re: topic "which elo do you target in x months" disappear ?

Post by Blue Devil Knight May 26th 2009, 12:32 am

Yes, I frucked up badly, and apologized to Chess when it happened. I moved it from 'non chess' to 'general chess' discussion and then when I tried to delete the original it deleted both. It won't happen again, it was a bad mistake.

Last edited by Blue Devil Knight on May 27th 2009, 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing May 26th 2009, 9:49 am

ok, lol.

don't blame yourself, these were only words nobody was injuried. Surprised
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo May 27th 2009, 10:24 am

For what's it worth I'd like to be around 1800 in a years time, then 2000 a year following.

Beyond that I guess natural talent will be the main factor and I'll have to see what I've got.

I should say that I won't necessarily achieve the rating required by the end of the year but my play may have advanced to that level, seeing as your rating is based on past results and therefore a reflection of how good you were in the recent past rather than how good you are right now.

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by KasparovIsGod June 7th 2009, 12:46 pm

I am not going to play OTB tournaments for at least another year. So, I dont have an immediate goal or anything. But, when I do start playing in tourneys then I guess a 2000 USCF is the bare minimum standard to achieve for me.

KasparovIsGod
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight June 8th 2009, 1:17 pm

KiG: you have played in tournaments before? Why are you not going to play for a year? Are there none near you?

It seems this is the most important part of improvement (slow tournament games and good postgame analysis), perhaps more important than the course.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by cofresi June 8th 2009, 1:55 pm

See an interesting post by Jeremy Silman in Chess.com --
http://www.chess.com/article/view/chess-goals

For what it's worth, I'd like to break 1500 --
There, I said it.

cofresi
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight June 8th 2009, 2:29 pm

I want to break 1400 by the end of next May.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger June 8th 2009, 5:21 pm

After a year, when i am done with this course i want to be a solid 2000+ player that rather goes to 2100+ then to go back to1900+.
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy June 8th 2009, 5:34 pm

When I was at my best aged 15 I hit Elo 1960.
Now I have returned nearly 30 years later my goals are/were

1) To play ok again ( I've reached that)
2) To reach my best again. 6 Months away?
3) To get that extra 40 to take me to 2000
4) To get greedy. 2200? tongue
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by KasparovIsGod June 18th 2009, 12:25 pm

Blue Devil Knight: Ummm, actually the reason I am not going to play is that I am really not prepared for any kind of tournaments as of now. I still need to work on my endgame and middle game in order to avoid a total embarrassment. So, one year is a general period where I can fix some (if not all) inadequacies in my game. Yes, I am coming back to chess after a while, when I stopped playing chess (even casually - I was utterly disgusted by the game). So, hopefully in 12-15 months time I can make a decent comeback. **fingers crossed**

KasparovIsGod
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight June 18th 2009, 12:57 pm

KiG: that is very risky, but it has been done before! Smile I hope it works.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Chess? June 18th 2009, 11:41 pm

Like I said before, I would like a solid 1700. But something is working.

I started my blog with a baseline of 1629 on the chessbase server in March of this year. Today on the CB server I am at 1849.

I know I am not really playing at this level, I have had a few luckly blunders go my way. I do think I have gained 60+ elo's. So my 1700 goal is within my brain power. NICE! The old tissues between my ears can still hold a little data.
Chess?
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Chess? June 21st 2009, 10:54 am

Blue Devil Knight wrote:I want to break 1400 by the end of next May.
bdk, did you break 1400?

Question cheers
Chess?
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight June 21st 2009, 4:56 pm

Chess? wrote:bdk, did you break 1400?

Question I posted that goal about two weeks ago, so still a year to go to meet it. In other words, no.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Chess? June 22nd 2009, 12:13 am

Blue Devil Knight wrote:
Chess? wrote:bdk, did you break 1400?

Question I posted that goal about two weeks ago, so still a year to go to meet it. In other words, no.
ooops, sorry.
Chess?
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by KasparovIsGod June 23rd 2009, 4:50 am

Are all these ratings Fide or USCF and equivalent? or are they internet ratings? Cuz I found internet ratings to be way inflated than the real life and these people often get disappointed when they get into OTB tournaments. That's why I only set goals for OTB ratings [USCF/Fide/BCF] and equivalent ones. I sometimes play on chess.com [correspondence] without any database aid..and still managed to cross 2200. It's obvious that I am nowhere near 2200 USCF. Plus with some players at 1500 OTB has scored around 2300-2500 on chess.com solely on the basis of openings databases etc, so I am not really excited to play such players (or rather their databases).

KasparovIsGod
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger June 23rd 2009, 6:03 am

My ratings are OTB ratings since like you said internetratings are not accurate.
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight June 23rd 2009, 9:16 am

Kasparov is God that is impressive.

My goal is based on USCF. While an increase by 100 point rating at ICC is a real increase, not some illusion, there is something psychologically more satisfying about improving in OTB play ratings. I am rated around 1500 slow games ICC, and under 1200 USCF. I only know one person who has a higher USCF rating than ICC--and I think he just has trouble getting motivated for ICC games.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by KasparovIsGod June 24th 2009, 12:07 pm

ah I used to play on ICC before I quit chess. those were the days for 15 hour marathon sessions...yeah then I realized I need to get out in the sun before I die of Vitamin D deficiency! Razz Yes, I do agree OTB is the best way of all especially if you play with wooden sets and pieces. My current goal is just to accumulate decent middlegame and endgame knowledge and learn how to plan. Then in 2010 I may start playing in tournaments to gauge how much I can actually apply. best wishes to others who are playing regularly ..

KasparovIsGod
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing July 13th 2009, 8:35 pm

Code:

Statistics for zwim        On for: 9:52    Idle:    0

rating  win  loss  draw total  best

15-minute      1719  1865  1761  215  3841  1772 (13-Jul-2009)

I have broken my best today with 1772 !

My previous best was lasting since February, so i'm very happy. I was bouncing desesperately under the 1700 line (sometimes falling back to 1500) for more than 6 months, and this last 2 weeks i have reached 17xx a lot of times.

Finally the record fell today, i'm on the road to 1800. cheers

rem: i choose 15-min games, because i don't like very slow games that much, but particularly because you cannot choose your opponent and have to play the player given to you by the server. Thus you play people below you and above you, with no possibility to cheat your rating by playing only weaker people. And since i want to measure my progression i need to stick to this time control. But because of you fellows, i have experienced some 30 0 games, it's sloooow...
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Chess? July 14th 2009, 12:29 am

HangingKing wrote:
Code:

Statistics for zwim        On for: 9:52    Idle:    0

rating  win  loss  draw total  best

15-minute      1719  1865  1761  215  3841  1772 (13-Jul-2009)

I have broken my best today with 1772 !

My previous best was lasting since February, so i'm very happy. I was bouncing desesperately under the 1700 line (sometimes falling back to 1500) for more than 6 months, and this last 2 weeks i have reached 17xx a lot of times.

that a huge achievement! congratulations
Finally the record fell today, i'm on the road to 1800. cheers

rem: i choose 15-min games, because i don't like very slow games that much, but particularly because you cannot choose your opponent and have to play the player given to you by the server. Thus you play people below you and above you, with no possibility to cheat your rating by playing only weaker people. And since i want to measure my progression i need to stick to this time control. But because of you fellows, i have experienced some 30 0 games, it's sloooow...
Chess?
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing November 6th 2009, 8:39 am

Here we are, i broke 1800 this morning with a new best of 1825 (still 15 0 ICC) after a long serie of consecutive wins.

My last game was a draw against a 2172 rated player using a simple philidor defense and exchanging material. That the first time i do not just fell against a strong player.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight November 6th 2009, 4:09 pm

Way to go!
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down