International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone know what month they cover QGA for white?

5 posters

Go down

Anyone know what month they cover QGA for white? Empty Anyone know what month they cover QGA for white?

Post by Blue Devil Knight May 20th 2009, 9:06 am

Month One they cover responses other than d5 to d4. Month two they cover Catalan and Slav. Does anyone know when they cover QGA from white's perspective?

I really like how their repertoire hangs together with nice transpositional possibilities, in particular their response to the Slav and to QGD have many points of transposition.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone know what month they cover QGA for white? Empty Re: Anyone know what month they cover QGA for white?

Post by chesstiger May 20th 2009, 10:48 am

As far as i can see not. In month 5 they cover the dutch defense from blacks perspective. In month 11 they cover the dutch defense, kings indian, volga gambit, modern benoni, czech benoni from white's perspective.
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Anyone know what month they cover QGA for white? Empty Re: Anyone know what month they cover QGA for white?

Post by Blue Devil Knight May 20th 2009, 11:02 am

CT: strange, those month 11 openings I have in month 1. Smile

I emailed the folks at ICS to see if/when they cover QGA. It's sort of an important opening. Obviously many QGA lines will transpose to the Catalan, but not all.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger May 20th 2009, 3:41 pm

Me too. But in month 11 they review them and add games to them as example.
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo May 20th 2009, 5:27 pm

There is also no coverage of the Albin Counter Gambit so far either, an opening I have faced before a couple of times at the low level at which I play.

I'm sure they will cover stuff eventually, especially if a few of us ask them.

Since they have updated the 1.e4 stuff in Months 1 and 2 I am much more happy with where they are going now regarding this repertoire module. I still won't be studying it properly for a few months yet at least but I'm confident it will build into a quality product now.

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by fanat May 21st 2009, 9:46 am

ICS doesn't advertise complete repertoire for d4 player and it's possible they won't cover QGA at all. In fact many authors of queens gambit type books don't even cover it.

It's not a huge system so it's probably not critical. I'm sure there are good books around for QGA.
fanat
fanat
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight May 21st 2009, 9:57 am

fanat wrote:ICS doesn't advertise complete repertoire for d4 player and it's possible they won't cover QGA at all. In fact many authors of queens gambit type books don't even cover it.

It's not a huge system so it's probably not critical. I'm sure there are good books around for QGA.

That would be lame. They cover a lot of not huge systems for which I could buy a book, but it is supposed to be a repertoire.

At any rate, I emailed them about it and they responded:
"Tarrasch Defense and QGA are missing. We will do some updates on the Openings Module and these 2 openings will be uploaded probably until 29 May."

Cool.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by fanat May 21st 2009, 10:28 am

That is good news. Maybe I should bug them about English opening Smile
fanat
fanat
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight May 21st 2009, 10:50 am

fanat wrote:That is good news. Maybe I should bug them about English opening Smile

Or play d4. cyclops
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo May 21st 2009, 12:17 pm

Blue Devil Knight wrote:
fanat wrote:ICS doesn't advertise complete repertoire for d4 player and it's possible they won't cover QGA at all. In fact many authors of queens gambit type books don't even cover it.

That would be lame. They cover a lot of not huge systems for which I could buy a book, but it is supposed to be a repertoire.

At any rate, I emailed them about it and they responded:
"Tarrasch Defense and QGA are missing. We will do some updates on the Openings Module and these 2 openings will be uploaded probably until 29 May."

Cool.

It seems the opening course is still a work in progress for them. I am impressed with the way they respond to user questions and feedback though. You do get the feeling with them that if there is a part of the course that needs expansion and further clarification that they will happily add to it as their customers request.

I like these guys, even if their English is sometimes a little bizarre!

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by cofresi May 22nd 2009, 12:32 pm

chesstiger wrote:Me too. But in month 11 they review them and add games to them as example.

Do you think it worth the hundred or so dollars to finish out the last 3-4 months?
Or in other words - is there significant new material in those months? Or just sample games and repeats of theory?

thanks!

cofresi
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight May 28th 2009, 10:36 pm

No Chigorin coverage.....hopefully they'll add that.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight June 21st 2009, 7:15 am

Well, to their credit they've added QGA to month 3. Chigorin to month 2, Tarrasch too.

Awesome!
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger June 21st 2009, 6:19 pm

cofresi wrote:
chesstiger wrote:Me too. But in month 11 they review them and add games to them as example.

Do you think it worth the hundred or so dollars to finish out the last 3-4 months?
Or in other words - is there significant new material in those months? Or just sample games and repeats of theory?

thanks!

I think so since last months are lots of exercises and lessons about playing technique.
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo June 22nd 2009, 4:50 am

I was again thinking about cancelling the openings module but the updates will pursuade me to continue with it. It seems these guys really do listen to their customers and are attempting to offer as good value for money as they can.

As at my current pace I'm about 4 years away from actually studying the opening material anyway it doesn't really matter much that they are still working on it that much

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo June 22nd 2009, 5:03 am

I see they have now upped the defenses for black against 1.e4 and 1.d4 to 3 each!

In case you guys missed the advert change it now lists the opening systems for black.

Black against 1.e4: French Defense, Sicilian Kalashnikov, and Scandinavian Defense.
Black against 1.d4: Semi-Slav Defense, Dutch Stonewall and Dutch Ilyin-Zhenevsky.

I'm a bit confused about the Sicilian Kalashnikov seeing as they have already given their reportoire for the Najdorf? Rolling Eyes

I thought they were recommending the Nimzo Indian too, that's a bit disappointing as that's the one line I was looking forward to trying Evil or Very Mad

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo June 22nd 2009, 5:05 am

I will email them I think, this is getting way too confusing for me its as if they are making it up as they go along!

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight June 22nd 2009, 8:48 am

Too bad it's the slav, if it was the slav I'd be psyched. My attitude has always been why play the slav if you'r just gonna lock in that light-squared bishop (that's a rhetorical question, I know it has good reasons).

That is the direction they are going it seems, going from super-sharp to more solid, from lots of memorization to a lot less memorization needed. That seems smart for the average club player who probably could spend time better than opening prep. It also seems smart for the class where they clearly don't want to (nor should they) have a 200 page repertoire like they would need for the Najdorf to even make a dent (from what I've heard, anyway, as I've never played the Najdorf).
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down