International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5.1 Lead in Development Game

5 posters

Go down

5.1 Lead in Development Game Empty 5.1 Lead in Development

Post by Chess? May 15th 2009, 12:43 am

This is a game 4 in the 3rd month of the first section.

I play the Najdorf as black after 1.e4, this game sure opened my eyes. I am really starting to love this stuff. The g pawn ripped blacks queen side wide open.

(4) Vasiukov - Modr [B81]
Praga, 1979

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.Nc3 d6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nxd4 Black played only pawn-moves until now and this is not all, as a7-a6 and b7-b5 are intended. However, the Sicilian Opening has a very good reputation. Modern chess, the investigation of opening theory and the very good defense (especially active defense) seem to challenge the old principles (like "don't play more than 2-3 pawn-moves in the opening") but this is for an airy eye. The old principles are still good, but they interract now with the concrete variations of opening theory which is developed by much more players who play in much more tournaments and, why not to say, they check their analysis and games with the chess engines.

5...Nf6 6.g4! Diagram

Tell me an old principle which could recommend this very strong attack against the Scheveningen: the "Keres attack". Returning to our theme "lead in development", this move can be still considered good not only from practical point of view but: - g2-g4 creates local space advantage on the kingside - g2-g4 fights indirectly for the centre by chasing away the black-knight - after g4-g5, White will have Qd1-h5 at his disposal, a very dangerous move for Black - White threatens g5-g6 destroying black pawn structure in the centre and kingside - opens the g-file for the rook which will be able to attack the black kingside - opens a new diagonal for the f1-bishop which can be usefull on g2 or h3 from where it attacks on e6 All these reasons make from g2-g4 a good opening move and a very strong "anti-play" move.

6...a6 7.g5 Nfd7 8.Be3 b5 [Nevetheless 8...Nc6 looks a bit more safer. ]

9.a3 Another pawn-move which is worth to be explained. Pawn moves like: a6, h6, a3, h3 are usually not recommended in the opening, their role being only a defensive one. However, if the opponent's plans or development moves can be seriously hampered by these moves, they are worth to be considered.

9...Nb6? The knight heads for the key-square c4 which can confer Black some counter-play... but not now! Black is not prepared to get some benefit from this square yet. Moreover, Black weakens his control over the centre.

10.Rg1 [10.Qh5 was even better ]

10...Bb7 11.Qg4 N8d7 12.0-0-0 White is now completely developed. The f1-bishop has the role to exchange the black knight after his arrival in c4 (as in many Sicilian vartiations). Moreover, White has already serious threats to destroy the black pawn structure by g5-g6. Black had to play g7-g6 now.

12...Rc8? Black's counter-play on the c-file is far from being dangerous. This rook-move doesn't defend against the threats White has.

13.g6! White lead in development, the black king is in the centre, so White opens up the position immediately.

13...hxg6 14.Nxe6 fxe6 15.Qxg6+ Ke7 16.Bg5+ Nf6 17.e5 Kd7 [17...Qe8 18.exf6+ Kd7 19.f7+- ; 17...dxe5 18.Rxd8 Rxd8 19.Bg2+- ]

18.exf6 gxf6 19.Bxf6 Be7 20.Bxh8 Qxh8 21.Rg3 and Black resigned This game proves how easily can White destroys Black's Sicilian setup if he doesn't follow the recommended lines. Black plays a lot of pawn-moves in the opening and the defense must be very wise. 1-0
Chess?
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

5.1 Lead in Development Game Empty Re: 5.1 Lead in Development Game

Post by hoopy May 15th 2009, 12:10 pm

Still 2 weeks before I get month 2.
Month 3 sounds like fun though!!
Are you finding improvement already? My fast game is getting much worse as I am not playing as many of them. My slow games not much different.
To be fair I did not expect much change for 7 or 8 months anyway.
What about everyone else? Anyone else found any real improvement yet?
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight May 15th 2009, 12:12 pm

It is very hard to tell after one month, but my blitz play has gone to hell too! Embarassed
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy May 15th 2009, 12:17 pm

Blue Devil Knight wrote:It is very hard to tell after one month, but my blitz play has gone to hell too! Embarassed

Take this as intended but I'm glad it is not just me!!
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Chess? May 16th 2009, 2:16 am

Your not the only one's. I suck to! Sad
I will keep at it, I do enjoy the study. I find it relaxing after a day at the office... and an evening after we put the kids to bed. Razz
Chess?
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger May 17th 2009, 3:31 pm

Even my slow play went badly (and i am only in month one).

I have to think about so many things now, i am already tired after 15 moves. Guess it just getting used to the new thinking process. But i see improvement in my games, less blunders so i am not completely dissapointed. Afterall, my two losses where against 2140 and 2070 elo, young guys who are still progressing.
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy May 17th 2009, 4:10 pm

Sounds encouraging CT. Impressed that you are confident enough to take on guys at that level. That in itself must make you feel you are improving. Very Happy
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger May 17th 2009, 5:32 pm

My filosofy is that if i want to improve i have to play against stronger players who can punish my blunders. So if i have the chance to play them i will not hesitate to do so.

Yes, i am improving but i am not yet there. I need more practise with this thoughtproces so that i becomes second nature so that i dont have to think about the next step of what to check next.
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing July 22nd 2009, 6:45 pm

I like this lesson very much, in fact i was a bit coward at loosing a pawn or attacking to gain lead in dvp and then running tacticals.

This is the first time i'm able to apply what i've learned quite instantaneously (instantly ?) in practical games.

Today i've played games and was able to be decisive in about 3 of them on 5 (and the 2 others, it was because of mistakes in the end middlegame) when trying to launch a pawn attack as soon as i was better developped.

I find it incredible that it works so simply.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down