International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opening module discussion

+5
BorgQueen
hoopy
Bilbo
Randy
Blue Devil Knight
9 posters

Go down

Opening module discussion Empty Opening module discussion

Post by Blue Devil Knight April 13th 2009, 1:16 pm

I thought we should keep discussion of the opening separate from the discussion of the main module, as many of us are not purchasing the opening module. I personally ordered the opening, but may cancel it as I don't want to learn the freaking Sicilian.

Last edited by Blue Devil Knight on May 22nd 2009, 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Opening module discussion Empty Re: Opening module discussion

Post by Randy April 21st 2009, 6:03 am

well, for a long time i thought the same, i was scared by Sicilian. I played first Alekhine, than I moved to Modern/Pirc against. 3 years ago I started to play Accelerated dragon and my results improved seriously. true, I still lose regularly to 2100+ rated players in Maroczi, but this have more to do with the difference in strength (i am around 1800) and to the fact that I do not like Maroczi very much, so I was reluctant to spend too much time learning it. Anyway, half of the time my opponents play all types of AntiSicilians and this increase dramatically my results Smile. However, against a stronger player or in a must-win situation I am no longer confident to play Accelerated Dragon so I am trying to have an alternate opening. Kan and Taimanov seems nice, except that the same Maroczi cannot be avoided (albeit in a slightly different version). So i will give Najdorf a try. Also French (the backup opening proposed by ICS) may be interesting, if I will find Najdorf too demanding.

Randy
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight April 21st 2009, 9:32 am

Good to know you have good results with it, and the antiSicilians!
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo May 9th 2009, 12:31 am

BDK Gary Kasparov did an excellent 3 part video training session using the Fritz Chessbase format which would be invaluable as a study aid to starting the Najdorf.

PM me if you're interested in getting it and I'll let you know where and how.

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight May 9th 2009, 7:01 am

Bilbo: thanks dude. I think for now I'll stick with the Caro Cann I am finally starting to like it.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy May 15th 2009, 2:18 pm

Blue Devil Knight wrote:Bilbo: thanks dude. I think for now I'll stick with the Caro Cann I am finally starting to like it.
Unless you do wish to get involved with wild tactical games. I reckon caro is a good choice. Also I feel it me be more fitting with positional concepts of ICS course.
Good luck
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen July 20th 2010, 10:45 am

I never have the courage to vary from my pathetically limited opening selections. Being a tactical player (failing at strategic playing-- hence why I am here), I tend to like tactical lines where my opponent can give me something.

I wish I could just practice openings with someone so that I can gain some good confidence with other openings.

Hopefully this course will give me a bit more confidence.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by supermoy January 3rd 2012, 5:15 pm

Hey guys, what about the Petroff defense, i was playing so confortable knowing taht sometime i'll learn the openings here and i'll be well prepared, till i was playing and they played the petroff to me ...e4 e5, Cf3 Cf6 ...and...I came home and i realized it was not included in the lessons O.O, haha they have all other openings beside e5 but when it comes to e5, they send you directly to the ruy lopez and what if they play Cf6 Razz

supermoy
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by supermoy January 6th 2012, 1:03 am

and philidor defense too Razz

supermoy
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian January 12th 2012, 10:30 am

The d4 repertoire seems to be more complete but still you need to fill in the gaps on your own. Some of the shortfalls are made up later in the course (for example the transposition from the Scandinavian to the French) and others you will find in the "small print"

The ICS "How to Learn the Openings" monograph outlines the process which I've found to be a very effective way to introduce the missing variations.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by supermoy January 12th 2012, 12:41 pm

Ohhh ok thank you a lot Smile,
Which transposition are you talking about?
and what do you mean with "small print" ? and with the "monograph"
I'm very confused jaja Smile

supermoy
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian January 12th 2012, 1:37 pm

In the Scandinavian (black repertoire) there is a short note that if white advances the e-pawn instead of ed that Black can transpose to a French Defense (this is what I mean by small print). Towards the end of the first year the Advance French System is added to the repertoire so you can add the transposition moves into the French.

You will find similiar gaps in the the white 1.d4 repertoire, for example you will need to develop your response as black if White goes into a Catalan as you strive for a semi-slav.

The monograph basically tells how to approach openings study, collecting games, what's a model game, etc. The openings review at the end of the first year where ICS provides dozens of games for review along with model games and a review of the first three months 1.d4 repertoire is a practical example of how independent opening study should be done.

These are good reasons to follow the 1.d4 repertoire if you are just starting out.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by supermoy January 12th 2012, 1:45 pm

Ohhh thank you. Yes now i understod what you meant with the transposing. Yes you're right, of course you should figure out some gaps like those., and yes i supose yes, although i would not like to play scandinavian since the beggining if i had studied the french already, but then you can force him to the advance variation of the french which may be can be confortable for the player with the black pieces.

And yes, i imagine that d4 repertorie also has some gaps.
I also understood what you meant with the monograph, yes, one is supposed to do all of those tasks to understand better the opening. Smile
jaja although i disagree with the idea of playing d4 as you are starting since i think, that e4 can lead to several different positions, open, closed, semi-open, and therefore you learn more, and you learn plans and how to be confortable in different kind of situations Smile, as with d4 sometimes it is more difficult to reach a great variety of positions with different center for example Smile, both are great finally. Smile

supermoy
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian January 12th 2012, 2:47 pm

supermoy wrote:
jaja although i disagree with the idea of playing d4 as you are starting since i think, that e4 can lead to several different positions, open, closed, semi-open, and therefore you learn more, and you learn plans and how to be confortable in different kind of situations Smile, as with d4 sometimes it is more difficult to reach a great variety of positions with different center for example Smile, both are great finally. Smile

"Best by test" according to Bobby Fischer. I merely meant that the d4 repertoire seems more complete and there is more overlap with the instructional material.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by supermoy January 12th 2012, 3:28 pm

yes, actually, seeing things from that point of view, d4 is better since the course gives a more complete repertorie Smile. Glad to discuss with you Smile

supermoy
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by rooster85 July 8th 2015, 12:25 pm

PawnCustodian wrote:The d4 repertoire seems to be more complete but still you need to fill in the gaps on your own. Some of the shortfalls are made up later in the course (for example the transposition from the Scandinavian to the French) and others you will find in the "small print"

The ICS "How to Learn the Openings" monograph outlines the process which I've found to be a very effective way to introduce the missing variations.

Hi All,

I wanted to ask the ones that have the complete opening module - this document "How to Learn the Openings" is marked as "Part I" and is "to be continued"... however I could not find the continuation in the course.
Do you know if a Part 2 exists, and where can I find it? Thanks in advance Smile

rooster85
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen July 8th 2015, 8:48 pm

I hope you get an answer soon. This forum has been progressively dying :-/
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Leavenfish July 22nd 2015, 11:24 pm

BorgQueen wrote:I hope you get an answer soon.  This forum has been progressively dying :-/

It's never been quite the hub of activity so that's not exactly fair.

I have the whole course, don't see a follow up.

But "part 1" ends with a "will continue..." after talking about 'model games'....and it launches into those model games so maybe it's just misnamed as 'part 1'?

Leavenfish
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen July 23rd 2015, 12:24 am

I dunno mate... it used to be a hell of a lot more active than it is now ;-)
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down