International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Look what the cat dragged in!

4 posters

Go down

Look what the cat dragged in! Empty Look what the cat dragged in!

Post by Blunderprone May 7th 2009, 12:59 pm

BDK left the door open and in walks me!

First and foremost, I am avid chess enthusiast ( my wife thinks I should be committed). I put myself in the self proclaimed category of active chess improvement seeker. I’ve played chess most of my life so far. I learned from my father ( an active tournament player back in a day) when I was 6 and participated in a local coastal Maine chess club growing up. Due to life, I had various episodes where I was absent from the chess scene for several years.

After my nth furlough from this great game I came in with an older USCF rating of 1576 and proceeded to get pummeled to 1350 in 2005 using my old bad habits of rote memorization and poor techniques.

Like a moth to flame, I jumped into the cult of the Knights Errant as a triage effort to restore some bleeding of rating points. After completing the SEVEN CIRCLES OF HELL, my rating climbed to the USCF 1620 in 2007. There it sat in a mosquito infested stagnant pool of chaotic blogging and bemoaning losses to 10 year old Asian prodigies.

For personal reasons, I am on a quest to improve as far as I can for as little money down as possible ( otherwise I face castration with a dull antler horn at the hands of my wife). It is my nature to be tenacious ( some call it … what is it? … Stubborn). Despite all sports psychology books and “feel good” pseudo –zen-mastars were telling me the joy is the journey, I woke up in 2008 tired of “embracing the plateau” . In a moment of enlightenment ( some call these flashbacks), I recall my old teachers back in Maine touting the importance of studying whole games.

But where was I to begin? I’ll make this brief and save you all from wasting any more time. I began a magical history tour studying significant tournaments and the players of that period. My blog finally had new purpose as I blathered on about London 1851. The interest steam-rolled to Hastings 1895. I even started pimping out my games collection CD’s to feed my habit ( my wife says it’s a crippling addiction). New York 1924 was covered this winter… and now… all this prepared me to understand where I am today… Zurich 1953.

So far, my rating climbed from the 1600’s to the mid 1700’s and I believe I am heading to 1800 this year.

I would like to make master because I know it can be done and I am tenacious enough that I may just do it.

Burn out is not part of my vernacular.

BP ( George)
Blunderprone
Blunderprone
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

http://blunderprone.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Look what the cat dragged in! Empty Re: Look what the cat dragged in!

Post by Blue Devil Knight May 7th 2009, 1:42 pm

Blunderprone! Great to see you here. I like going over full games too, though haven't plowed in like you have.

My problem is I would start annotated game collections but never finish them. That's a big problem with me in general with my chess books. One think I like about this chess course is that there are lots of annotated games each month they use to reinforce some of the ideas. So far I'm not sure how much it has helped reinforce the ideas, but the games are fun to read (this month there were three Capablanca games, which was fun).
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight May 7th 2009, 1:45 pm

PS BP congrats you are the twentieth person to post at the site Smile

And this is my 100th post so my rank should go up in the site Razz
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger May 7th 2009, 3:08 pm

BP is here!!!

Always a long, enjoyable story instead of dry stuff i type and write. No wonder i love this guy's writings. Pity he sits on his money since i would love to hear what he has to say about this course.
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing May 7th 2009, 9:03 pm

Yeah awesome writing style !
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum