Evaluating central control

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Evaluating central control

Post by Victorian Gent on June 23rd 2012, 1:39 pm

In the lesson "Positional evaluation" whe refering to the centre they say:

"The evaluation will be made by checking what squares are controlled by a player, what
squares are controlled by the other player and what squares are controlled by both players
(or by none of them). On the squares controlled by both players a tense fight is usually
given. The result of this evaluation will return a score as: 2-2 (the centre is equally
controlled), 2.5-1.5, 3-1, 3.5-0.5 or 4-0."

Does anyone know how this calculation works? I havn't seen any help in Month 2 either, which is devoted to understanding the centre.

If I am attacking a central square (say d5 with my pawn on e4) and my opponent isn't, then I presumably score 1 for that square. But if he had a P of e6, then we would get 0.5 each?? What if I attack it 3x and he only once?

Also if I occupu a central square with a pawn or piece, does that count? Or does it only count if the piece/pawn is protected?

I am sure I am being too analytical, and it basically comes down to a more subjective assessment of the cetre, but I wondered if I was missing something.

VG

Victorian Gent
Club Player
Club Player

Posts : 68
Join date : 2012-06-21
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Evaluating central control

Post by BorgQueen on June 24th 2012, 8:53 pm

Although I base all this on my own interpretation of the meaning of the text, this is how I see it:

Victorian Gent wrote:if he had a P of e6, then we would get 0.5 each??
Correct.

Victorian Gent wrote:What if I attack it 3x and he only once?
1-0

Victorian Gent wrote:Also if I occupu a central square with a pawn or piece, does that count? Or does it only count if the piece/pawn is protected?
It counts if you can maintain it.

__________________________________________
Content will be assimilated.
Resistance is futile.

----
Blue Devil Knight wrote:The danger of studying positional chess at the expense of tactics is that you will spend a half hour thinking about where a Knight belongs, and then proceed to put it on a beautiful square where it is en prise. Smile
avatar
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Posts : 631
Join date : 2010-07-06
Location : Adelaide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Evaluating central control

Post by Victorian Gent on June 25th 2012, 9:55 am

Thanks. Yeah, your answers make sense. I guess I have been confusing "control" with "tension". I can see now how I could control a square (e.g. if I attack it 3x vs opponet only once) even though the square would still be in tension.
VG

Victorian Gent
Club Player
Club Player

Posts : 68
Join date : 2012-06-21
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Evaluating central control

Post by BorgQueen on June 25th 2012, 9:08 pm

If you attack it 3x and your opponent once, you can occupy that square whenever you want! Unless your opponent attacks it with a pawn you are attacking it with Q, R & B, in which case the square remains contested (0.5-0.5).

__________________________________________
Content will be assimilated.
Resistance is futile.

----
Blue Devil Knight wrote:The danger of studying positional chess at the expense of tactics is that you will spend a half hour thinking about where a Knight belongs, and then proceed to put it on a beautiful square where it is en prise. Smile
avatar
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Posts : 631
Join date : 2010-07-06
Location : Adelaide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Evaluating central control

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum