International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recent Grunfeld game

4 posters

Go down

Recent Grunfeld game Empty Grunfeld line from Month one

Post by Randy April 24th 2009, 12:56 am

Recently a nice game was played in the Grunfeld line given at ICS. The black was Svidler, probably one of the best top 2 Grunfeld players (the other one being Kamsky). First 12 moves were exactly the same as in the ICS material. Black won, not because of the opening, but due to a a small tactical trap in move 21 (21.Ne4 was a tactical mistake). However, the result of the opening was pretty even. maybe the white was not supposed to exchange queens... Anyway, I learned 3 things from this game:
- the proposed repertoire can be played at any level;
- even at 2700 level the games are often decided by tactics, so let's focus on tactics!
- even against a top 10 opponent you should fight till the last drop. to be honest, i would resign at move 40 in the above game;

Randy
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Recent Grunfeld game Empty Re: Recent Grunfeld game

Post by Blue Devil Knight April 24th 2009, 10:00 am

Very good stuff!

They seem to have chosen very solid openings for the repertoire.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fanat April 24th 2009, 10:35 am

Shouldn't this game be technically under "Black: Response to d4" Very Happy

I'm honestly not sure. Black chooses Grunfeld. White goes along with this plan so maybe this is the place.

So, the question is which games will go under this "White: d4 repertoire section"? Very Happy
fanat
fanat
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight April 24th 2009, 11:04 am

Do they suggest the Grunfeld as black? I'm only in the first month, so only see their treatment of the Grunfeld from white's perspective in the d4 rep. But if they recommend it as black, I'll put it there (though of course it could technically go in either place Smile). I thought they recommended the Nimzo-Indian (and dutch) for black?

Thanks for bearing with me as I fine-tune the categories. I think they are almost settled. I don't want these opening categories to proliferate too much, and think it is sort of unnatural to have the opening course split into months instead of topics (unlike the main course, where the forum-per-month seems more natural).
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Randy April 24th 2009, 11:52 am

sorry, this is the line suggested for white. for black against 1.d4 they suggest Nimzo (probably Nimzo+ Bogo or Nimzo + QID) as main defence and Dutch as backup. however, the opening was pretty even.

Randy
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by fanat April 24th 2009, 3:26 pm

I'm a little confused myself so doesn't matter where we put it. It's a good example nevertheless.
fanat
fanat
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo May 9th 2009, 12:35 am

Hey Randy I won't have time for a while to study the games you're putting up but thanks for taking the effort to do so. It will be a great in the future for sure and nice to see that the opening lines they provide us seem to be backed up by good results at the highest level.

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down