International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Played my first 2 OTB Chess games last week

3 posters

Go down

Played my first 2 OTB Chess games last week Empty Played my first 2 OTB Chess games last week

Post by LostTactic October 28th 2011, 6:56 pm

This was my first game for the Nottingham University 2nd team vs West Bridgford 2nd team on 18/10/11. Our 3rd team also played their 4th team at the same venue as well, we lost 3-2 and 3.5-1.5.

This was my 2nd game on the 22/10/11, I was playing for Nottinghamshire U160 vs Staffordshire U160. Time control was 36 moves in 1hr and a half and an extra 30mins after reaching move 36. Wasn't scheduled to play in this game, but apparently Nottinghamshire lost 2 players the day before the game, and Keith Walters contacted the Nottingham Uni President looking for players, and I think my name came up because I've been doing pretty well in the blitz games at our weekly chess social. Anyway though, I decided to play because I thought it would be cool to play for the county. On a side note, getting a Taxi to Bramcote Memorial Hall was a nightmare, I tried 3 Taxi firms and they didn't know where it was, fortunately I did find one in the end, but it's still pretty remarkable that in a SatNav era this can happen.

If anyone has any advice, I'd be happy to hear it. If not, I hope you weren't too offended by my poor quality games.

Edit in:
We beat Staffordshire quite convincingly in the end, 11.5-4.5.

LostTactic
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Played my first 2 OTB Chess games last week Empty Re: Played my first 2 OTB Chess games last week

Post by HangingKing October 30th 2011, 12:34 am

For the first game in Sicilian as black personally i don't taste very much "clearing" the kingside like this because it leaves white with confortable manoeuvering space, in particular you are not free of movements because you always have to have look at these g,h pawns that can be attacked any moment by Q+N or Q+R generally (like at move 22. for example, quite unpleasant situation).

Anyway, i found your defense stunning with a mighty pawn chain, but i think you should have tried to pursue with pushing d5-d4 to give "air" to your light square bishop.

So to come back to my preference in Sicilian, i often prefer pushing e5 first, then bring the other knight into action and only then threaten the ennemy bishop with a6, because exchanging for white has became less favorable the bishop has to retreat and this completely obstructs the queenside for a while, which slows down white considerably and gives you chances to reorganize properly.

See this game for example:
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. c3 e5 4. Bb5 Nge7 5. O-O a6 6. Ba4 b5 7. Bc2 c4 8.
h3 d5 9. exd5 Nxd5 10. Re1 f6 11. Nd4 Nxd4 12. cxd4 Be7 13. dxe5 O-O 14.
exf6 Bxf6 15. Nc3 Bb7 16. Nxd5 Qxd5 17. f3 Bd4+ 18. Kh1 Bb6 19. Be4 Qd7 20.Bxb7 Qxb7 21. b3 Rac8 22. bxc4 Rxc4 23. Qb3 Kh8 24. Bb2 Rh4 25. Qc3 Bd4 26.Qc2 Rxh3+ 27. gxh3 Qxf3+ 28. Kh2 Qf2+ 29. Kh1 Qf3+ 30. Kh2 Bf2 31. Bxg7+ Kg8 32. Bxf8 Qg3+ 33. Kh1 Qxh3# {White checkmated} 0-1

For the second game nothing to say, this was well conducted.
I found your opponent a bit too "straightforward" in this game, i mean he often tries 2-3 moves tactics, and if this doesn't work immediately he concludes by giving up the unsuccessful piece for one of yours... This obviously leads nowhere for him, and he does not even care to bring his rooks into action at the end.

Also by just comparing your comments in both games, it's revealing that you were more focused on a plan in the second game, well it did work apparently, i say you must keep it this way...

HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Played my first 2 OTB Chess games last week Empty Re: Played my first 2 OTB Chess games last week

Post by HangingKing October 30th 2011, 12:45 am

Just one more remark from ICS course.

When you are left with inferior material it is imperative to try to keep your coordinating piece (which in generally is the one with higher intrinsic value, e.g. Q or R).

So in first game 29. .. Qd7 is a mistake according to ICS teaching.

HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Played my first 2 OTB Chess games last week Empty 2d Play | Play Free 2d Play Online | Fun Games

Post by leonesunny056 April 5th 2012, 5:10 am

Elite Games is a great place to play all your favorite online flash games. We add new games each week and are always looking for more fun games to add to the site.
2D PLAY is a great place to play all your favorite online flash games. We add new games each week and are always looking for more fun games to add to the site.

2d Play Games | Elite Games

leonesunny056
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down