International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just started the course

3 posters

Go down

Just started the course Empty Just started the course

Post by Fuzzie June 17th 2011, 2:45 pm

Hi all, just subscribed to the course and have printed out all month 1 materials which took some time!

I'm 54, based in the UK, been playing for four years after a 30-year break. Was improving steadily but hit a roadblock. While generally I can hold my own strategically/positionally with 2000/2100-rated players and beaten quite a few, where my game falls down is tactical oversights. Although I've done 30,000+ tactics puzzles, my no. 1 problem is in overlooking the fact that my previous move now opened up a square/line that my opponent takes advantage of. Hopefully the consequences part of the ICS course can help with this.

Am now rated 1849 FIDE Elo, down recently from 1875. Hopefully after this course, I'll be heading towards 2000. I'm currently able to put in the hours, say 15-20 a week (do I hear gasps of envy or disbelief?) as I don't have a ball-and-chain i.e. wife/partner or children :-)

I'll try adding my insights (for what they're worth) to this forum as I go through the course month by month.
Fuzzie
Fuzzie
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Just started the course Empty Re: Just started the course

Post by PawnCustodian June 18th 2011, 8:19 am

Welcome. Sounds like you are right in the target zone wrt experience to get the most from this course.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Just started the course Empty Re: Just started the course

Post by Blue Devil Knight June 25th 2011, 8:40 am

Welcome aboard, good to have you.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com