International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HangingKing was there.

+5
Bilbo
chesstiger
Chess?
Blue Devil Knight
HangingKing
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

HangingKing was there. Empty HangingKing was there.

Post by HangingKing April 21st 2009, 3:50 pm

Hello, i've just discovered this forum, and also subscribed to the ICS program. Very Happy

I'm living in France in Paris, playing chess mainly over internet, because it is more convenient.
I play on ICC for normal chess and loser's and Freechess for atomic (more players there).

I have an average ELO about 1650 on 15-0 games, my best performance is 1760 but i cannot sustain it (dammit!), and i'm also able to go back to 1450 if i am not i a good day.

For blitz it's worst (1350) and bullet (1100) don't even talk about it, i do too much blunders.
So clearly i have better performance on longer games, but in the same time i hate 30-0 games or more, i feel like i'm going to fell asleep. Is this a paradox doctor ?

Here is my rating graph
(legend: min elo, max elo, and tendance curves for chart #1)
(legend: max-min and tendance for chart #2) --> my instability chart.

http://zwim.free.fr/utils/elo_standard.xls

As you can see, i have made progress from 1400 to 1700 level in about 2 years, i play quite a lot, but i have great difficulties to have some stability. I'm able of either able to win against a 1900 player either to loose against a 1300 ! Sometimes, on the same day... Suspect

Thus i started to look over the web, and found ICS, it looks good to bring me some stability i miss, i guess, i will keep my rating graph updated so i will see if i make any progress or not.

As i can see for the moment on month #1, the program already assume you have a minimum level of chess knowledge that is quite high and i don't know yet all the english chess terms, it seems also to require lot of time, will see.

study
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

HangingKing was there. Empty Re: HangingKing was there.

Post by Blue Devil Knight April 21st 2009, 4:13 pm

Welcome to the site, and good luck.

Some of the language they use isn't even easy for native English speakers to understand, so ask questions here if you aren't sure Smile
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chess? April 22nd 2009, 1:10 am

HangingKing wrote:Hello, i've just discovered this forum, and also subscribed to the ICS program. Very Happy

I'm living in France in Paris, playing chess mainly over internet, because it is more convenient.
I play on ICC for normal chess and loser's and Freechess for atomic (more players there).

I have an average ELO about 1650 on 15-0 games, my best performance is 1760 but i cannot sustain it (dammit!), and i'm also able to go back to 1450 if i am not i a good day.

For blitz it's worst (1350) and bullet (1100) don't even talk about it, i do too much blunders.
So clearly i have better performance on longer games, but in the same time i hate 30-0 games or more, i feel like i'm going to fell asleep. Is this a paradox doctor ?

Here is my rating graph
(legend: min elo, max elo, and tendance curves for chart #1)
(legend: max-min and tendance for chart #2) --> my instability chart.

As you can see, i have made progress from 1400 to 1700 level in about 2 years, i play quite a lot, but i have great difficulties to have some stability. I'm able of either able to win against a 1900 player either to loose against a 1300 ! Sometimes, on the same day... Suspect

Thus i started to look over the web, and found ICS, it looks good to bring me some stability i miss, i guess, i will keep my rating graph updated so i will see if i make any progress or not.

As i can see for the moment on month #1, the program already assume you have a minimum level of chess knowledge that is quite high and i don't know yet all the english chess terms, it seems also to require lot of time, will see.

study

Wellcome, I think between all of use we should be able to take full advantage of the school.
Chess?
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger April 23rd 2009, 9:24 am

HangingKing was there.
HangingKing op april 21st 2009, 3:50 pm

I see you never have played long games (games with atleast 1 time control like for example 40 moves in two hours (first timecontrol) + 1 hour KO) and that worries me a bit since you fall asleep at 30 0 games which for a chess club player is kinda a quick game of which the thought proces has to be stepped up a gear or two.

Afterall; the best quick, rapid, chess players are the best in the world long games players. They learn the skills in the long time games and after they have them under their belt, after a lot of practise, can apply then in rapid and/or quick games aswell because it has become second nature to them.

Maybe it all depends on the level of which we are curently standing but when i did a quick scan of the material of month one i didn't found anything that goes higher then the basic of chess knowlegde. But then again, what i see as basic chess knowlegde can already be advanced in your eyes.

But dont forget, the most usefull and clear advise i can give you is just to have fun. By this i mean study seriously but dont lose the love for chess.

geek
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing April 23rd 2009, 9:50 am

chesstiger wrote:I see you never have played long games

That's not totally true. In fact i play sometimes on RHP which is a kind of correspondance game since you make 2 or 3 moves a day up to 1 move every 3 days.
But there i play differently, i often use the board to test my combinations, while otherwise i do it in my head.

I'm impatient, so 2 hours games seems so unreal to me !
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing May 9th 2009, 4:08 pm

I have updated my rating graph.

As you can see, the first month ICS effect is very perceptible !

The tendancy is my rating is decreasing, but in the same time also the yellow curve (volatility), this mean that i manage somehow to correct my bad habits, and i'm more consistent. So i hope it is investment for next months.

Like a Star @ heaven
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing July 15th 2009, 10:22 pm

Here is more about me :

I generally like to take vacations in mountain, walking in summer and skiing in winter.

I also made 2 treks, one in Atlas in Morrocco : 12 day walks, 250 km, went to M'Goun 4000m high, then visited Marrakech a little.

http://zwim.free.fr/maroc

HangingKing was there. Tn_0032_IMG

And another in himalaya in Népal : 13 days walk, 200 km, went to Thorong Pass 5400 m, then visited Katmandhu.

http://zwim.free.fr/annapurna

HangingKing was there. Tn_0350_IMG

Enjoy the landscapes...
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo July 16th 2009, 3:40 pm

Awesome I'd love to do treks like that!

You got any more planned?

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight July 16th 2009, 3:52 pm

Gorgeous views.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing July 16th 2009, 3:56 pm

Not for the moment, maybe next year.

It cost some money (was around 2000€ in Maroc, and 3000€ in Nepal, plus the extras when you are on the place) and some preparation. Anyway the organisation is not mine but "Terres d'aventure" a french trek organizer company.
And for the moment with all these planes' accidents, i'm not very hot...

The difficulty of the trek is real (about 15-20 km a day and +700m to +1200m rise per day), but not extreme at all, if you ever went to mountain.
Just look at me, i'm quite fat and managed to do it, but of course you need the strong will to do it.

It is different from other kind of trip, because you meet different people than in big touristic cities, and the landscape really worth the walk.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by AoxomoxoA July 16th 2009, 5:12 pm

HangingKing wrote:

Is this Fide Elo? Or is this the rating at ICC?
greatings
Aox

AoxomoxoA
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing July 16th 2009, 7:31 pm

ICC ratings exclusively.

I never played OTB tournament games, nor join any club, thus i do not have a FIDE rating, and have no idea of what my rating could be.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by AoxomoxoA July 17th 2009, 12:37 pm

HangingKing wrote:ICC ratings exclusively.

I never played OTB tournament games, nor join any club, thus i do not have a FIDE rating, and have no idea of what my rating could be.

look here: http://www.gtryfon.demon.co.uk/bcc/Java/gradingintro.htm

I hope the exercises are not to "high" for you, i have my problems with them

AoxomoxoA
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing July 17th 2009, 1:25 pm

Hum, the surveys are not very trustable, there are too few players that answered.

Anyway :

Comparison of USCF to ICC Standard.

The introduction to this part is the same as the introduction to the previous part, comparison of USCF to ICC Blitz.

ICC Rating Players trim mean StDev
OVERALL 95 10% -82.4 124.1
2400+ 6 0% -170.4 119.9
2200+ 12 10% -168.8 105.3
2200-2400 6 0% -185.2 183.5
2000-2200 14 10% -13.3 110.4

1800-2000 31 10% -64.3 118.6 USCF=ICC (-64)

1600-1800 15 10% 50.1 88.3 ICC+50=USCF
1400-1600 13 10% -199.9 132.3
1300-1400 3 0% -65.2 150.6

So since i'm in the 1600-1800 range, i should expect an USCF rating quite similar.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing September 30th 2009, 9:46 pm

HangingKing was there. Eloo.th

Here is my rating curve updated after 5 months ICS (i started in April).
Today i played well and achieved 1783 rating.

As you can see it is still very volatile, but i break 1700 resistance more and more often.
The way is long to 2000, but i hope to be there someday.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing January 13th 2010, 3:43 pm

Update, raises up slowly...

HangingKing was there. Eloo.th
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing May 1st 2010, 5:33 pm

HangingKing was there. Image001kk.th

Update of my rating curve.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing October 24th 2010, 10:30 am

I'm sick with bad flue, so i have been cooking some meal, if that doesn't heal, i don't see what can! Not chess, for sure...

(I tried to translate in english, not sure for all words)

Improvised recipe :

2 pounds of pork (meat for sauté)
2 apples
3 shallots
butter
curry, garlic powder, chili pepper, parsley, thyme, laurel
1 small box of concentred tomato
1 pot of cream (30 cl)
lemon juice
rice (enough)
1 (maybe 2) soup spoon of mustard

* Cut the pork in roughly pieces, peel apples and cut them in dices, slice thinly shallots.
* Make (gild ?) the pork with apples and many garlic in a frying pan with a little oil.
* In a pot or a large wok brown shallots with some butter slowly, with salt and black pepper.
* Add all the spices, the mustard, the tomato, the cream, the parsley, the thyme, the laurel, the hot pepper, the curry (for doses, few hot pepper and thyme, averagely of parsley and laurel, a lot of curry) and mix all this.
* Pour the contents of the frying pan into the pot and add 1/2 to 1l of water and let simmer over a low heat 2 good hours (even more if you have time) with a lid.
* Rectify the taste with some salt (pepper not needed, that has to fall already indeed like that), and lemon to compensate for the sweet of apples. Within final, remove the lid and push a little the fire to reduce the sauce.
* On the space so gained ((c) B.Vian) prepare the rice in parallel.

* Edit : lot of oil surface at the end of the baking, i removed most of it with kitchen paper towel.

Bon appétit.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing February 11th 2011, 3:42 pm

HangingKing was there. Elostandard17866image00.th

Update in 2011.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight February 12th 2011, 10:11 am

Impressive you are a lot better than me!!! Maybe I should start again. Got year 2 I can at least watch some videos.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrhollywood95 February 15th 2011, 7:04 pm

HangingKing,

Nice job! Are you only playing online?

Personally, I don't like playing online. Too many mouse slips, too many rude people and ICC is too expensive.

Of course that is hindering my progress as I dont have a lot of time to play OTB these last couple of years.

I wish you good luck in your journey, first to 2000, then to master!

-Tony

mrhollywood95
Club Player
Club Player

http://tonyschessblog.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen February 15th 2011, 8:13 pm

I agree, too many mouse slips, too many rude people, but ICC is not expensive.

$70 a year is... what... $1.35 a week. $6 a month. That can't be too "too expensive" can it?? Unless I am missing something... which happens all too often!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrhollywood95 February 15th 2011, 8:45 pm

Well, I've never really thought about it that way.

I always thought it was silly to pay for online chess when there are so many free sites out there. For $70, what does ICC offer that the free sites do not?

Looks like I better take a closer look......

mrhollywood95
Club Player
Club Player

http://tonyschessblog.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen February 15th 2011, 8:52 pm

I currently pay more than that for chess.com membership.

Free sites, well chess.com is free if you don't wanna pay. I pay to get the added benefits that come with the membership there.... like unlimited tactics training, chess mentor etc etc etc.

I actually don't really know what the attraction to ICC is tbh, it must have something special about it as I hear it mentioned all the time... but it doesn't seem to even have tactics training, so I am not real sure what the reason is to pay there.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing April 2nd 2012, 4:39 pm

Hi all, i'm going to move house soon, so i may not have internet access for a while.
Not that there is tremendous activity here, but who knows, some people would be anxious i'm gone, hey.

Apart from that, i also have spent time in playing go, yes i know, silly idea, but i was tired of doing only chess and for some reason i have improved in chess recently although i was not playing.

Maybe the break helped to mature some unsettled ideas or maybe learning something new has reactivated my fuzzy brain.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum