International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Excellent resource for Board Visualisation

4 posters

Go down

Excellent resource for Board Visualisation Empty Excellent resource for Board Visualisation

Post by LostTactic February 19th 2011, 12:05 pm

Encountered this piece of software last night while I was watching one of Peter Lalic's chess youtube videos (he did an excellent series on Board Visualisation btw). Anyway though it's called Chess Eye and was created in 2004, if you follow the link you can dowload a demo of the software which in itself contains a great deal of excersises. And to upgrade to the actual software is less than $25, I haven't yet bought it as I'm still working my way through the demo, however if anyone does have or buy it, please post a review as I would be interested in seing what more we get for the $25.

Here's the link: Chess Eye

And here's a youtube clip of Peter Lalic using it: Chess Eye being used

LostTactic
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Excellent resource for Board Visualisation Empty Re: Excellent resource for Board Visualisation

Post by Blue Devil Knight February 19th 2011, 4:21 pm

Good for the tactics part of the course for sure....

More resources here:
http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com/2006/11/chess-visualization-web-and-software.html
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Excellent resource for Board Visualisation Empty Re: Excellent resource for Board Visualisation

Post by PawnCustodian February 19th 2011, 5:13 pm

Looks interesting, but if all it does is what's in the video I know I'd get bored pretty quickly. I do that kind of training in my head when I do my running exercise.

If you ever decide to subscribe to chesspublishing.com they have a blindfold training program they say (I haven't tried it yet) has a voice interface for practicing, and works with chess engines so you can practice blindfold play. Subscription is about $90/yr but you get a lot of commented games and opening surveys as well for the money.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen February 19th 2011, 9:00 pm

Seems like a good drilling program for me to start/continue. I downloaded it, but I haven't installed it yet. What are the limitations for the demo?
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian March 5th 2011, 3:47 pm

I tried the chesspublications.com software and IMHO it's buggy and clumsy.

Chess Eye looks pretty good. Fairly easy to add new exercises, I added a couple of endgame studies (can White promote a pawn). But, it appears to need exact string answers, so ICS questions like "tell all the squares controlled by...." cannot be structured in a user friendly way.

If anyone has some experience with the program and has found a way to handle the ICS type questions I'd like to hear.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen March 6th 2011, 4:59 am

I've been drilling with ChessEye and now I know what colour each square is, but I still don't know what advantage, if any this would yield ^.^
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian March 6th 2011, 9:53 am

I doubt there's any real value until you start into ChessEye exercises 7 and up.

One thing I've noticed is have no problems doing the verbal positional assessment in the ICS exercises, but I often miss the best defense, or some in-between move in the solutions.

I think ChessEye visualisation exercises could help with these types of problems. More importantly it can provide a challenge to speed up the calculation thought processes, something the ICS visualisation exercises alone can't do.

Months 7&8 (and 9 I hope) are light in content, so it's a good time to put some emphasis on visualisation to get ready for "The Art of Master Analysis" that begins in month 10.

To answer LostTactic's question, the only thing you get when you buy the software is some additional exercises within the 11 already provided. I tried the repository and the english one at least is a joke. I plan to collect some easy piece coordination exercises which I'll make available once I've got 50 or so positions.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down