International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quick QGA game (mate in 27)

4 posters

Go down

Quick QGA game (mate in 27) Empty Quick QGA game (mate in 27)

Post by HangingKing September 8th 2010, 7:11 pm

This is an interesting QGA game i won today.
Interesting since the player was a good level (1900) but also because the game was not lost because of tactical mistakes, but mainly because of questionnable strategical choices from my opponent, which lead to disaster very quickly.

I just pust fast comments below:
4...Bg4 : i don't like Bf5 (lose many games with it), b7 pawn is dead but i get activity
7.Nf3 : since o-o-o not so tempting because of open b file for the rook, the knight become clearly a potential target for castle breakout.
10...Rb8 : as told above, this was unavoidable, knight is lost if white don't move away the queen first.
12...e5 : i want to relocate my rook on kingside

Then white put many pawns in the center, instead of defending h3 (e.g Rf3), and it is weakening his position, just split the board, isolate the white king, and seriously limits white's mobility in my opinion.
Once R+Q are relocated on kingside it's just a matter of time before mate.

24...Rc2+ : stupid move (Qc2#), but well it's over anyway.

Cheers! Not everyday i mate a 1900 in 27 moves.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Quick QGA game (mate in 27) Empty Re: Quick QGA game (mate in 27)

Post by BorgQueen September 8th 2010, 7:29 pm

Nicely done :-)

Your opponent did seem to neglect king safety for a couple of loose queenside pawns and then allowed the queen to be left out of play on the kingside... which is the theme I am studying atm!

Last edited by BorgQueen on September 8th 2010, 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : merging double post :-Þ)
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian September 11th 2010, 7:19 pm

Reminds me of those long checkmates Fred Reinfield put up in 1001 Checkmates. Nice job setting it up!

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing September 12th 2010, 8:04 am

I tried to reproduce the game against different players, but never get the same. The main diffrence is most players put pressure with their light bishop (e.g. 7.Bb5 pin), often exchanging it against Nd7, and defending the queenside costs me the tempo i need to invade kingside safely.
The result is a game under control but where the lost b7 pawn miss desesperately...

At the present i am trying (forcing me) to play thematic games where i push an attack on 1 side only. I must say the result is either a quick win either a disaster because at the end of attack the mate is not possible (or i am too dumb to find it!) or king manage to escape or hide, thus letting me in a defensive position where i do not have enough material to defend correctly.

So analysing games like above, show me why i suceeded in that particular case, nevertheless i find it difficult the reproduce these favorable games against someone else. I'm still missing something.

HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian September 12th 2010, 9:11 am

HangingKing wrote:So analysing games like above, show me why i suceeded in that particular case, nevertheless i find it difficult the reproduce these favorable games against someone else. I'm still missing something.

It's pretty clear that your opponent compltetely denuded his King of any support on the kingside. Even one piece with access to the kingside might have averted the disaster.

Still, it's cool that you were able chase the King from the deserted Kingside onto the Queenside with the rest of his men where they could only vainly sacrifice themselves to no avail.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Chess? September 12th 2010, 1:29 pm

nice game, congrats cheers
Chess?
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing September 12th 2010, 2:36 pm

PawnCustodian wrote:It's pretty clear that your opponent compltetely denuded his King of any support [...]

Yes, there is always a strategical mistake as a base of a successful attack.

For example in this other recent game with a weaker opponent (1500), it's clearly the fact that he did not castle and let his king in the center that put him in a difficult position.
If he had castle if would have taken back the knight instead of trying the pawns avalanche, which again allows me to concentrate on only 1 side, the white queen can take loose pieces on the queenside it does not matter.

No my point is i still get issues in doing it with stronger opponents (2100) that defend with precision.

For example in this last game, same queen gambit theme, I managed to put both bishop and knight around the castle in a promising position (good enough to prevent BxR because of QxB mate threat) but i never managed to get in d4 in time because the white queen is guading the a7-g1 diagonal. Even if his rooks are completely out of play for a while, he managed with only its Q+N activity to eat tempos necessary to activate them. And later again precision with Qb7 to guard the rook.

When i realized i should take control of this d4 square first, it was already too late.

HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing September 19th 2010, 3:09 pm

Yeah, first win i can carry to the end with a lot of risks taken !

It is incredible how a single passed pawn can annoy so much the opponent, i think this is the first time i manage to put a pawn on the 7th with so much pieces on the board...

However, i think his mistake was not to push g pawn to get rid of my dark bishop earlier.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

I'm alone here to put games, you should all post some, it's great to gather some ideas from other players of more or less same level. GM games are way too perfect to assimilate, but good amateur games worth looking at too. :-)
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down