International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings from Nottingham, UK.

+2
PawnCustodian
StarByrne
6 posters

Go down

Greetings from Nottingham, UK. Empty Greetings from Nottingham, UK.

Post by StarByrne August 31st 2010, 7:20 am

Just wanted to say hello, my names James, I'm 21 and from the UK. I'm currently on Month 3 of the course so far but have had little time to commit to the course due to exams, however I plan to review all 3 months later this month. From the parts I have gone through I've been very impressed with how it's laid out and how it engages with the reader.

At the moment I am an unrated player but on most chess sites where I play with 5-10min time control I'm usually around the 1500 strength, I have 1 more year of University to go and I hope this course will turn me into a strong player by the end of the year. I intend after I finish Uni to join a local Chess club nearby my hometown and hopefully achieve a decent ECF grading. I have set myself a target of becoming a FIDE master within 3 years which I realise is probably unrealistic but I like to aim high.

My only slight criticism of the course so far would be they seem to neglect engame study, however after I emailed them regarding this they appear to have plans to bring out a 2nd year of the course that focuses on endgame study.

This is my conversation I had with them via email last week:

22nd Aug 2010

Hello,

I am currently going through the course and am finding it extremely useful so far. And have already seen a dramatic increase in my rating on the online sites that I play at. However I have a question about the endgame. Does the course cover study of the endgame because I can't find any mention of it in the main module summary. I noticed on this part of the site you recommend some books: http://www.chessarea.com/chess-instructions/ that include 3 endgame books. This will be enough to master the endgame? Or is it covered in the course? If not is there any other recommendations you can make on how to improve my endgame?

Kind Regards,
James Byrne

30th Aug 2010

Hello James,

Indeed, our first course does not include endgame lessons as there are some good books which covers everything that should be known for basic theory.
In the second year of the course, we will cover the complex endgames that result from all major openings.

Kind regards,
Raul Neagos

StarByrne
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Nottingham, UK. Empty Re: Greetings from Nottingham, UK.

Post by PawnCustodian August 31st 2010, 7:58 am

Good to hear from you StarByrne, and thanks for the good news about endgames.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight August 31st 2010, 11:57 am

Great to have you here, and great news about the endgame lesson! We'll end up with a whole new section at this site, huzzahhh! Smile
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StarByrne September 1st 2010, 6:34 pm

Some more good news, looks like it's coming out in the next 2 weeks. But alas will be many months before I get to view it myself.

31st Aug 2010
Hi James,

The second year will be published in about 2 weeks and it will be available only for the students of the 1st year.
More details will be published at that time.

Kind regards,
Raul Neagos

StarByrne
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian September 1st 2010, 7:21 pm

StarByrne wrote:Some more good news, looks like it's coming out in the next 2 weeks. But alas will be many months before I get to view it myself.

Year away for me Sad

Thanks for sharing the good news.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen September 1st 2010, 7:46 pm

Hmmm... not sure I like that... I am in two minds about it. Yes, I want to study "year 2", but I am not sure I want to pay for it... that would push my spend up over a thousand dollars! It's kinda hard to justify spending > $1,000 on chess study when chess is only a hobby!
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian September 1st 2010, 8:15 pm

BorgQueen wrote:Hmmm... not sure I like that... I am in two minds about it. Yes, I want to study "year 2", but I am not sure I want to pay for it... that would push my spend up over a thousand dollars! It's kinda hard to justify spending > $1,000 on chess study when chess is only a hobby!

Just one major tournament win. Very Happy

It will be interesting to see what the course outline looks like and what approach they take. I like the idea of extending the course to look at transitions into endgames that is mentioned.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen September 1st 2010, 8:48 pm

Maybe there it is. To win that amount of money I would have to win the state championships and at this point I can't even win at my club championship - two players almost always beat me..., which pays NOTHING!

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to study endgames here, but yeah, justifying the expense is going to be difficult.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian September 2nd 2010, 7:37 am

BorgQueen wrote:Maybe there it is. To win that amount of money I would have to win the state championships and at this point I can't even win at my club championship - two players almost always beat me..., which pays NOTHING!

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to study endgames here, but yeah, justifying the expense is going to be difficult.

And I apologize for being flippant, it's always the question of priority and value.

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen September 2nd 2010, 9:38 am

No need to apologise, I took no offense. And yes, chess is like that unless you are a professional player and live off the earnings you make... it's always a hard decision whether to spend more money on it or not.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Chess? September 2nd 2010, 10:52 am

welcome james, good news regarding the endgame!
Chess?
Chess?
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by siva.uk75 September 22nd 2010, 1:02 pm

Mm, hi james, nice to hear, I am very weak in end games, i always loose in end games. !!

siva.uk75
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen September 22nd 2010, 8:22 pm

I'm ok at endgames, but I suck at openings.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by siva.uk75 September 23rd 2010, 5:23 am

quite 360 for me.. -Sad.

siva.uk75
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum