International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has it ever worked?

+5
BobbyBlunder
chesstiger
BorgQueen
Blue Devil Knight
kwkingdom123
9 posters

Go down

Has it ever worked? Empty Has it ever worked?

Post by kwkingdom123 August 12th 2010, 2:46 am

Has anyone actually finished the entire course and reach about 2300?

kwkingdom123
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Has it ever worked? Empty Re: Has it ever worked?

Post by Blue Devil Knight August 12th 2010, 2:39 pm

LOL. Bilbo I think hit ~2000.

I haven't finished yet.

The problem for me is that it reallyl does require dedication, probably 6+ hours a week just for the course, not to mention playing in slow tournaments and such.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Has it ever worked? Empty Do you know what Bilbo's rating was before he started the program?

Post by kwkingdom123 August 12th 2010, 3:52 pm

I was wondering is a 1400 player like me could do that?

kwkingdom123
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight August 12th 2010, 3:54 pm

Good question: you will learn a lot, and understand the material for sure. The question is whether the information they provide actually addresses the reasons you are losing games. Only you can determine that. I think the key is if you are still losing because of tactical issues, or endgame knowledge lack, then this course is probably not ideal (though it does have tactical work each month, but not systematic--this is primarily a strategy course).
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen August 13th 2010, 2:35 am

It think the only answer to that is: "it's up to you".

No course is going to miraculously turn a 1400 player into a 2300 player just by going through to course completion.

But if you study the material, apply yourself... and you have "the gift"... then you will make it.

Of course, I am only at month 2, so I don't know the whole content, but what I do know is this: the content will teach you many things and if you remember them and are able to apply what you learn, then you WILL improve.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight August 13th 2010, 11:58 am

I second what BorgQueen says, with the exception that if you are not losing because of strategic errors, but gross tactical errors (i.e., consistently missing 1 to 3 move tactics that decide nearly all games below a certain level), then this course is too soon for you.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwkingdom123 August 13th 2010, 6:52 pm

I think most of my errors will be strategic ones. I've been doing circles for tactics so I don't think that will be the problem. Does this course tell you everything about strategy (for example, attacking the king, etc.) and does it tell anything about calculation for tactics? Also, is it possble for me to hit about 2000 after this course? I have a lot of time and I'm trying to improve as much as possible in a year.

kwkingdom123
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen August 14th 2010, 1:34 am

kwkingdom123 wrote:Does this course tell you everything about strategy (for example, attacking the king, etc.)
I believe so.

kwkingdom123 wrote:does it tell anything about calculation for tactics?
Yes.

kwkingdom123 wrote:Also, is it possble for me to hit about 2000 after this course?
As I said before, that is entirely up to you. Some people just don't have the gift and so will never reach 2000 no matter what; they just lack the ability to look deep and accurately enough.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by chesstiger November 5th 2010, 12:18 pm

Everybody can reach 2000 rating with dedication and the will to do so.
So if you are willing to give yourself 100 percent then 2000 is reachable. How long it takes depends on talent you have for the game. Getting above 2050 and higher has to do alott with talent and your drive to play each game as if it was your last. Study and analyzing your own games still stays important but talent plays a bigger role then under 2050.

Secondly i want to mention that one has to cope with the lossess, major errors, that will ocure when you play chess. If one cannot get themselfs over a loss then dont start playing chess.
chesstiger
chesstiger
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen November 7th 2010, 6:40 pm

chesstiger wrote:Everybody can reach 2000 rating with dedication and the will to do so.
I don't believe that. I firmly believe that such levels of chess require a gift of reason that some people totally lack. Not everyone can "do" logic.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by BobbyBlunder November 17th 2010, 5:35 pm

I'm going to suggest that while the course material is good, but I am not convinced it is enought to reach a Fide 2300 playing strength. I supplemented the course work here with other material - and that worked for me. I went up a whole level. I won my last tournament (Expert circa 2000-2100 USCF) 6-0! and noticed that my play was far superior than previously.

My feeling is for most people the trick will be working out what they need that this course doesn't provide.

BobbyBlunder
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian November 18th 2010, 10:11 am

The only way to achieve a 2300 rating is to play games - a lot of games.

If you do the math (groan Sad ) it is immediately apparent that you cannot expect to go from a club player to 2300 in one year.

Even if you have the talent and skill, it's just too difficult to get the number of games at the levels required unless you actually live in one of the hot chess areas. A more realistic goal would be to target 3-4 years.

Bottom line: It's not what you know, it's who you play - and beat.

Congratulations BobbyBlunder, sounds like you are in striking distance!
Hey Blue Devil Knight, how about raising his avatar to National Master....

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen November 18th 2010, 7:08 pm

Achieving the rating and achieving the skill level to reach that rating are two entirely different things.

It is conceivable that someone reach a skill level that can achieve a 2300 rating in one year. But actually attaining that rating would not be.

I am only concerned with the former -- how can I be... my FIDE rating is N/A!! I don't really care what my rating is, just what my skill level is.
BorgQueen
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmasher1 November 21st 2010, 6:55 am

What i believe is chess is all about applying your grey matter, thinking and presence of mind. The strategies and tactics can help you if you combine it with grey matters.

Just as an example, a person in a driving school can teach you the theories of driving a car, however on the road if you aren't careful you are bound to face an accident, and even the best driving school of the world can't help you.

kingsmasher1
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by chesskang February 24th 2011, 3:36 am

Different people learn better via different methods. I think it is only intuitive that not everyone can reach over 2000 level if they try. It takes a certain propensity in order to excel, & 2050 is excelling in chess. I am not saying you have to be a chess genius, but you have to have some inclination. The further you are away from genius the more work it is going to take. I think that this course and it's methodology can get you there with hard work, see last statement.
I started playing golf in college with a friend of mine and within 1 yr he was shooting in the low 70's. With a lot of hard work a yr later I was shooting in the 70's. Another friend of ours worked his tail off and never shot under 90. We graduated went on with our lives and both play sporadically. The difference is he can still walk out and shoot under 80, me I may or may not break 90. Our other friend took lessons, plays all the time and still can't break 90 without a couple of foot wedges.
The moral of the story is...hmm lost my train of thought. But anyway it's best to take an umbrella if they are predicting rain.
chesskang
chesskang
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by kramnikstudent October 5th 2016, 7:33 am

PawnCustodian wrote:

Reminded me of Batman " it's not who i am underneath but what i do that defines me"
Was it intentional?

kramnikstudent
Club Player
Club Player

Back to top Go down

Post by PawnCustodian October 5th 2016, 11:06 am

kramnikstudent wrote:
PawnCustodian wrote:

Reminded me of Batman " it's not who i am underneath but what i do that defines me"
Was it intentional?

Nope.

I think it's moving towards becoming even more difficult to advance ratings as the federations are adjusting formulas to offset inflation. Better get those games in before it's too late!

PawnCustodian
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum